RIM Will Lock their PlayBook from Sideloading Android Apps due to piracy 'cesspool'

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
bb-playbook.jpg

This is a bit of news that is only slightly Android related, but still may be quite relevant to some of you guys. Apparently, RIM, the former pioneer smartphone company, now with one foot in the grave, is continuing to make questionable business decisions. According to a report on DroidMatters, RIM wants to avoid, what it calles the "chaotic cesspool" of piracy on Android's Google Play Store (quote from RIM), and as such, will be locking the BlackBerry Playbook to keep users from being able to side-load Android apps. Alec Saunders, VP of Developer Relations at RIM, announced these plans on Twitter. Mr. Saunders claims, without citing sources, that over 25% of Android devices are downloaded illegally. RIM plans to create the lock in a future update.

Hmmm... methinks that Mr. Saunders and his entourage over at RIM should be considering other options to keep their leaky boat from sinking before they start jabbing at other successful companies. While it can be argued that there are some piracy issues with Android, the Google Play Store can hardly be called a "chaotic cesspool" by any stretch of the imagination. Plus, RIM should learn their lessons from AT&T, who tried to do the exact same thing unsuccessfully in the past with their Android tablets. Eventually savvy users and devs developed workarounds to the lock. Also, AT&T eventually realized that blocking them didn't really help at all, so they eventually acquiesced to their customers and removed the lock.

RIM-Google-playstore-cesspool.png

What do you think of this strange news?

Source: DroidMatters

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
In unrelated business news, RIM changes their name to RIP...

Bwaaahahahahaha!!! That's awesome!!! I used to be a RIP user I mean RIM user... then I got my hands on a DROIDX... I immediately sold by tour and got the DROIDX!!!! I could only say WHERE HAS THIS PHONE BEEN MY WHOLE LIFE!!! I've been with DROID ever since. Started with the DX, then to a DX2, Bionic and now the RAZR MAXX.

And cesspool????? Me thinks that idiots that are sinking, should learn to hold their breath!!!

sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Chaotic cesspool Android - AKA - extremely lucrative Android. What a tool! :D

silverfang77

Reaction score
RIM continues to show its contempt for its customers. This why they are waning while Android is waxing.

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk

dracos

Reaction score
So why does he not share where he is getting his stats from or is his arse not an official source?

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
RIM, buddy, we've seen your quarterly numbers. Stop acting like you're better than ANYONE else, it makes you seem even more clueless.

alboboy10

Reaction score
I like their commercial.

"We need tools not toys"....

Makes me laugh every time I see it.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Why would RIM care if there is piracy on android? Considering that the whole reason they're doing this is to get more people on the playbook. I don't see how someone illegally obtaining an android app is going to be detrimental to them.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
they haven't been bought out yet? guess someone is waiting till the price drops to a penny, i wouldn't want to overpay either.