Android Piracy: A Walk Down Memory Plank

Discussion in 'Android News' started by JohnDroid, Aug 27, 2010.

1. travelingfool

travelingfool Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I should have qualified my statement with the explanation that I am talking about phones that DO have wireless tethering capabilities right out of the box, like the Droid 2 and the X. I definitely see your points if your stock phone doesn't have that capability.

2. travelingfool

travelingfool Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Lol, this is exactly my stance, and has been for years. I've been Tethering Blackberry's for free for quite some time. We've had voluminous heated discussions about this on crackberry.com, and it's nearly always some sanctimonious VZW rep who jumps into the discussion blathering about how wrong it is and how people are getting busted and how people are seeing bills from VZW for thousands of dollars. (I have yet to see a proof pic posted of this, so I don't believe it)

Anyhow, my opinion is that it is technically wrong, but morally right. Since I am paying for a data package already, why is is their business how I use it?

3. jdsingle

jdsingle Member

Ratings:
    +0
    To all those making comments about taking food off of a musicians table clearly doesn't know what they are talking about. The record labels are the ones that make the money off of the CD's and mp3 downloads, the artist makes a meager share of that at best. They make their money touring.

Is it illegal to pirate apps? Yes. Is it illegal to go over the speed limit and thus increasing the chance of killing someone else in doing so? Yes. But which one is more acceptable? To most of the people on this thread I would say speeding is more "ok" than stealing an application, even though speeding has a worse outcome. Look up utilitarianism from an ethical standpoint.

Stuff like this gets annoying when people say oh no you can't do that...but it is okay for me to be over here doing something that could have much harsher consequences. Anyone that claims they have never once surpassed the speed limit, texted while driving, talked on the phone while driving, is a liar. Oh but that's different too, right?

4. JeffDenver

JeffDenver Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I cannot believe anyone would ever pirate on the Android platform.

You can afford $30 a month for unlimited data service but cant afford $4 for that live wallpaper? Really?

5. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,003
    That's the point I was making earlier as one of several less incentives vs. pirating music.

But I have a feeling that many are overestimating the financial security many with these phones have. I guarantee there are plenty of smartphone users with $150+ a month phone bills living paycheck-to-paycheck. Just because people spend the money doesn't mean they really have the money. Go into your local cable office and it seems like the ones working out payment plans and months behind on their bills always have top tier package with Showtime, HBO, etc...I bet they have smartphones, too.

6. muzhik

muzhik Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Current Phone Model:
    OnePlus One
    "piracy" - is very sore subject, and i'm sure that most "people" that know technology, at some point in their live used piracy to get "things"

its based on individual and their moral

but i agree with OP, a buck for really great app is nothing, plus you do get 24hrs to decide if you want it or not.

7. appdaddy

appdaddy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Cm 6.0.0!!!

Speaking of Piracy.... CM 6.0.0 stable release is out!!!! Lol, just thought ya'll would wanna know... dancedroid

8. phatkat66

phatkat66 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    It includes my own post.

There is a sticky thread up (I dont remember where) stating any talk of pirating apps on the forums is strictly prohibited. So I don't think anyone will find out how to do it anywhere here except for this thread. And although it may seem like if you can pay a 100$ phone plan you should be able to spend an extra 3$ for an app that 100$ someone spends on their plan might be their LAST 100$ so that leaves them with not much left for anything extra. And there are ALOT of wonderful apps that cost 1 - 3$ and it adds up pretty quickly. Im just contributing my opinion on the topic ^_^ thats what the threads are for right?

9. hemorrdroid

hemorrdroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you think a post has something that should be edited out (the one you quoted, i agree, should be edited out) do not quote it, then when/if they edit it, your post will still show the offensive material.

10. UNC

UNC Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    It's so easy to combat.... Just have a validation system like "Policestream"... Require the google checkout receipt number to be entered in for the app to work....

Maybe if Big Red blocks sideloading and has Google remove adp access they could slow down the other types of piracy.... (Blocks sideloading???? Am I talking about Verizon or AT&T??)

Search tags for this page

android backup refund pirate

android buy app backup refund