Dolphin vs. Droid Browser

Riddick

Reaction score
For browsing a SINGLE webpage the stock browser is by far the best since it has superior rendering and pinch to zoom mechanics. However for heavy web browsing where you're visiting multiple sites and using tabs then xScope is the winner. I use xScope exclusively and see no reason to use any other browser. I wish the pinch to zoom was as smooth as the stock 2.1 browser though.

Reaction score
I like the stock browser's windows fine. Sure it's an extra couple clicks to change windows, but the superior performance of the stock browser makes it well worth it.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Another vote for xScope here. Significantly more feature laden than the stock browser and faster than Dolphin (at least in its current incarnation.)

I also use Opera beta for particular websites where its undeniable performance trumps its occasional odd rendering.

jm22876

Reaction score
Does only the native browser benefit from this?

"Google has just come out with the strident claim that the web browser in Android 2.2, aka Froyo, is the world's fastest for mobile devices. Having implemented the V8 JavaScript Engine that's already made an appearance in its desktop Chrome browser, Google's reporting JavaScript performance that's somewhere in the vicinity of two to three times better than what you can get from previous Android versions."

Source: Engadget

If thats the case then from a performance perspective the native is better. I do like the extras and the gestures that Dolphin HD has and the ability to arrange the bookmarks how I like. I would like to see the ability to add folders to the bookmarks for better organization.

Briankbl

Reaction score
The lack of votes for Opera Mini (now out of beta) is disturbing. Without a doubt the fastest Browser in the market.

modified

Reaction score
Opera is only fastest when it wants to be. Other times it does not even load the web pages. Regarding xScope - I believe it is highly overrated. During my tests it always loaded the pages a few seconds later than the default browser. It also rendered web pages in zoomed in views which got a little frustrating. Droid Browser gets my vote.

Dolphin HD was even slower than xScope.

Nibbz

Reaction score
i use skyfire, works well enough for me and it has a video player so you can watch even without flash.\, i'll switch back to the droid browser when 2.2 comes out tho

AutoCANE

Reaction score
Here's another vote for the stock Droid browser. Dolphin started acting all wacky and rebooting my phone when I would zoom into a picture on a forum so that gets negative marks. I tried xScope but didn't see any distinct advantage over the stock browser. I haven't tried Opera.

OSX2000

Reaction score
Dolphin Browser HD with adblock is the only way my Droid surfs.

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i just started trying out xScope (the Lite version) and Opera - i like them both; not substantially more than stock browser, but do have some advantages. dolphin is annoying - i uninstalled it after only a day...

Jester6x

Reaction score
Has anyone done a video speed comparison of the 4 major browsers? Which features people like are always going to be different, but speed is the biggest advantage of one browser or another.

Btw, I use stock right now, but can be swayed very easily away from it.