Does your Moto Droid act like it's "possessed"?

ronjr123

Reaction score
I too work outside all over the country and I do sweat extensively. I found if I leave that to dry on the phone, it will act up. At times it is very hard to remove. This is the only times it does what you described.

superbalde

Reaction score
Actually, this happened to me because a TINY bit of sweat from my hand from working out got into the seams of the screen around the edge.

DocWalt

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
I've been rocking my Droid naked since December, and when it started getting hot and humid out, it started acting "possessed." I don't have a solution, sadly.

i live in south florida and i work on the water so the humidity is always over 80% and i have never run into an issue.

it cant be that bad in PA

That's nice that you don't have an issue with it. I do, and it's annoying, and makes the phone unusable.

JimmyD

Reaction score
I agree with your statement that says....

....nobody has come up with anything definitive yet....

But you also state the following....

THIS IS DEFINITELY A HARDWARE-RELATED PROBLEM.

Could you please let us know how you have determined a definite hardware related problem?
Do you have some sort of hardware diagnostic bench testing methods available to come to such a conclusion?

AZDroid09

Reaction score
My son and I both have Droids, we charge via USB in the house and via a generic car charger on the road. He was having the same sorts of issues, If he tried to text it would randomly type on it's own, open apps etc. even when not touching the screen. His Droid has never been rooted or had a custom ROM, mine is rooted and I change ROMs all the time and never had this issue. A factory reset did not fix his issues. At first I thought his screen was too grubby, made him clean it and it seemed to stop for a few days, but then it came back and started happening more frequently.

Finally I called Verizon, they never asked me to do a factory reset or any troubleshooting....as soon as I described the issue they immediately sent out a replacement device. Since they didn't even try to troubleshoot I lean towards it being a hardware problem that they are aware of and they replaced it without any questions or hassle.

OP
AzJazz

AzJazz

Reaction score

Could you please let us know how you have determined a definite hardware related problem?
Do you have some sort of hardware diagnostic bench testing methods available to come to such a conclusion?

JimmyD - It's a hardware failure, but nobody has come up with a definitive reason why the hardware problem is occurring. I'm hoping we can find out what (besides manufacturing problems) is the root source of the failure.

For example, if long-term overclocking is causing this failure to occur, wouldn't you want to know? Or, running low voltage kernels?

This is a hardware failure: On my friend's phone, he was flashed back to pure stock 2.1, and never registered to his GMail account. Thus, he had no apps loaded. When his phone was cold and battery was at 100%, his screen worked fine. When his Droid got warm, or his power dropped to around 80%, his screen started flaking out. Since nothing was loaded on his phone, and the only variables that changed were voltage and/or temperature, there is one (or more) parts in his Droid that are now acting marginally.

He did run an ULV, non-overclocked Kernel for about 3 weeks before this problem exhibited itself. Before that, he was running stock, and his screen was rock-solid.

AzJazz

JimmyD

Reaction score

JimmyD - It's a hardware failure, but nobody has come up with a definitive reason why the hardware problem is occurring. I'm hoping we can find out what (besides manufacturing problems) is the root source of the failure.

For example, if long-term overclocking is causing this failure to occur, wouldn't you want to know? Or, running low voltage kernels?

This is a hardware failure: On my friend's phone, he was flashed back to pure stock 2.1, and never registered to his GMail account. Thus, he had no apps loaded. When his phone was cold and battery was at 100%, his screen worked fine. When his Droid got warm, or his power dropped to around 80%, his screen started flaking out. Since nothing was loaded on his phone, and the only variables that changed were voltage and/or temperature, there is one (or more) parts in his Droid that are now acting marginally.

He did run an ULV, non-overclocked Kernel for about 3 weeks before this problem exhibited itself. Before that, he was running stock, and his screen was rock-solid.

AzJazz

I see what you're saying better now. Thanks for the clarification on your comments.

By the way, I just re-read my response above.... sorry if it came off as flippant or harsh in any way.... they were sincere questions and not meant to be prodding or confrontational. :eek:

I sincerely was curious if you had a method to test the hardware that most of us wouldn't have access to.

Thanks again for the reply.

grikinobe

Reaction score
My Droid won't do anything when it's plugged into a generic wall charger; once I unplug it, it's fine. I can use it when it's plugged into my Motorola wall charger, but my generic car charger doesn't seem to bother it. Weird.

CompleteGFX

Reaction score
The only time I have this problem is when my phone gets really hot. I work out side for dish network with my phone. In my pocket and I sweat. And it also does it when I bring my phone in the bathroom while I shower.

hoosiermama

Reaction score
The only time I had an issue was with an off brand charger. Unplugged it and haven't had an issue since. The charger went back to the store.

MrC1122

Reaction score
no issues here. maybe someone or something in the spirit realm is trying to get you guys attention...i'm just saying...maybe, you never know =}

DocWalt

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
For an update, the screen has only acted up once, but now I have physical keyboard issues. Random button presses don't show up or I get double to quadruple presses, while other times everything acts perfectly normal. I'm thinking a replacement is in order. Did it before I updated to FRG01B, so I don't think a software update caused it.

ksassin

Reaction score
I had this problem. It really did act like it was posessed, random scrolling,opening and closing apps, the screen sometimes unresponsive and a ton of fcs. I flashed to stock and took it in and was told it needed to be recalibrated. Appearantly she had seen many og these and didn't hesitate to give me a new droid.

DocWalt

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
Yeah, I'm probably going to wait for 2.2 to be "standard" and go in and have it replaced. The phone is totally unusable while it's acting up, and I can't have a phone that's useless.