Advice: Stick with Eris, or go with Droid?

Lazerlike42

Reaction score
So, I picked up the Eris about a week ago at Best Buy. I was originally very happy with it, but since then some of the Eris' issues have really been bugging me. The fact that it doesn't play youtube videos currently, while in some ways a minor issue, makes me feel like I have a second rate phone. More importantly, however, is that just tonight my phone for the first time rebooted itself and locked up - something many other Eris owners have been complaining about.

At this point, I'm seriously considering going back to Best Buy in the morning and swapping it for a Motorola Droid - or, in a more "distant" consideration just going ahead and canceling the whole deal and picking up an iPhone instead - probably an evil thing to say around here but allow me to (briefly) elaborate.

At this point, both the iPhone and the Android phones have their plusses and their minuses. Android definitely looks to be more versatile in the long run, and that is very important to me. I very much like the fact that it multitasks, for example. That's a big deal and a great plus. On the other hand, all of these issues people are having is the downside to Android right now - it's a relatively new platform, and it's also an open source platform that comes with all of the disorganizational problems that open source often does. The iPhone's advantage is that it's an integrated, closed system which is precisely engineered to just work. That is honestly a big deal to me and the #1 temptation to it - I expect that if I have it, it will just work. On the other hand, it lacks the versatility, the potential for upgradibility, etc. (The network choice is not currently an issue for me, as I live in eastern Massachusetts and very rarely travel, so I am unlikely to have any majoy coverage problems).

That said, the bigger consideration is picking up the Moto Droid. So, I have come for your advice! What do you think I ought to do? I like the Eris' smaller size, and I like that it comes with the htc flash player - though that is hardly that important as Adobe does promise to releases an Android version of flash sometime soon enough. That said, the issues it's having are driving me nuts, and really everywhere I read it seems htc and VZW are trying to act like there is no problem, which gives me little confidence in support for the future. Even if the pending 2.0 update fixes it, what about future problems? So, should I keep the Eris and wait for 2.0, or pick up the Droid? Another thing I'd really like help with regards what tech problems or troubles I may have with the Droid if I pick that up. I've tried to poke around this (and other) forums to get an idea of what issues people are having with their Moto Droids, but is there anything that stands out I should know about?

Sincere thanks in advance for any advice!

(Also, I have yet to post an intro in the intro thread. I shall do so but for now I wanted to get this asked so I could deal with it ASAP!)

vzwmandroid

Reaction score
I have both the Eris (the wife's phone) and motodroid (my phone)
IMO Motorola Droid is a much more advanced device. even my wife wants a Droid, don't get my wrong the Eris is a pretty good phone but it doesn't stand up to the droid.
Droid is in a whole different ballgame.

sincitygrrrl1

Reaction score
Not everyone is having issues with the Droid. I haven't had one problem with my Droid. I'm amazed at all that it can do, and there is much more that I've yet to learn.

modified

Reaction score
Get the droid. Granted, it does have a few minor pestilences, but they can be evened out with an update or two.

cb2000a

Reaction score
I really really like my Droid even after having it for over a month now. This phone is the start of something big.

Retribution

Reaction score
Well so far a lot of Droid issues seem to be user error or app incompatibility. Also a forum is a bad place to judge the reliability of a phone if a post isn't about some issue it's how can I do this or where can I find that. The Droid is a great phone I say give it a shot.

Laurence5905

Reaction score
IMO Motorola Droid is a much more advanced device. ... don't get my wrong the Eris is a pretty good phone but it doesn't stand up to the droid.
Droid is in a whole different ballgame.

Agreed. If you can afford the $100 extra, the Droid is the better choice. I think the Eris exists so folks can get into an Android phone when they can't afford the $200 for the Droid -- you get what you pay for. The Eris is the cheapest Android phone out there right now (if I'm not mistaken) and as such, it definitely fills a niche in the market. But if you're looking for a truly advanced Android smartphone, it's just gotta be the Droid.

LordKastle

Reaction score
Why would it be evil to say "Swap for an iPhone"?

Apple has a great product and with the exception of the app marketplace, Apple takes a much less aggressive hands on approach than Google.

The reason why problems seem to linger longer on HTC devices is because the Android OS is not raw. HTC edits and adds other coding, such as, to produce the "Sense UI". So if there are bugs in the Android OS, it just takes longer for them to get around to it..that and they have as many phones being released as there are flavors of candy and icecream. So usually when it comes to updating/debugging/troubleshooting they have their priorities elsewhere.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why would it be evil to say "Swap for an iPhone"?

Apple has a great product and with the exception of the app marketplace, Apple takes a much less aggressive hands on approach than Google.

The reason why problems seem to linger longer on HTC devices is because the Android OS is not raw. HTC edits and adds other coding, such as, to produce the "Sense UI". So if there are bugs in the Android OS, it just takes longer for them to get around to it..that and they have as many phones being released as there are flavors of candy and icecream. So usually when it comes to updating/debugging/troubleshooting they have their priorities elsewhere.

I agree with you here. I say get a Droid, and try the 30 days. I'm pretty sure you'll love it. If not take it back and get the IPhone. You have nothing to lose there. What you will gain is an impressive piece of equipment in the Droid and the smiles it puts on your face every day :icon_ banana:

OP
L

Lazerlike42

Reaction score
Well, I went and picked up the Droid today. We'll see how it goes. So far, I like it!

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
At this point, both the iPhone and the Android phones have their plusses and their minuses.
At any point in time every choice has its pluses and minuses. You just need to determine which choice fits you best.

You're definitely not happy with the Eris. I wouldn't stick with it if I were you. I'd suggest trying the Droid as trying it doesn't mean that you can't return it and switch to the iPhone if you're unhappy with the Droid.

Last edited:

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Droid vs Eris... Droid has slightly better hardware, but a much much better screen, and a physical keyboard. eris is smaller, has Sense UI, and more "Sleek". really about preference more than anything

Bostonsfavson

Reaction score
Well, I went and picked up the Droid today. We'll see how it goes. So far, I like it!

Good to hear! My girlfriend has the Eris--it's a great phone, but I prefer the Droid. It's hard to put in to words, but suffice it to say that if you sought out this forum and took the time to register, the Droid is probably the phone for you :)