Does your Moto Droid act like it's "possessed"?

tommyg562000

Reaction score
Same thing happened to my droid. It happened after using an old LG charger. I used the charger two days in a row. The mornig after the first charge it started acting up but I didn't suspect it was cause of the charger. The scond time I used the charger I heard a high pitch hissing coming from somewhere. I unplugged the charger and sure enuf the sounf went away, plugged it back in and it started again. So I believe I fried some hardware by using a non moto charger. If ur out of the manufavture warranty ur screwed. But if u have the insurance on ur line that give u an additional one year warranty. So just call verizon and tell them ur screen is not functioning properly and they will send u a refurb at no cost to u. That's what I did.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I was rooted and running a ROM and it still acted possessed. I think it has something to do with a screwed up capacitor under the screen therefore making it a hardware issue.

I don't mean it only happens to stock Droid. Just saying the issue is a hardware issue and rooting or anything else is not the cause.

I just blame it on First Gen hardware....

meiriko

Reaction score
This might help

Hi
I am not a verison user, actually I live in Tel Aviv. It started getting hot and humid here and guess what....the screen went nuts.

I use slideit keyboard which leaves a trail as you move your finger and I noticed it became erratic and jagged. Then I downloaded some paint apps, same here. When I got the touch screen diagnostic apps things were clear.

I finally found a forum and after reading too many messages, I found a tip. Touch any metallic part of the phone and it is all gone. I started by touching the frame or the dot (for the car kit) at the back. I even took the back lid off and touched the metal stripe holding the sim card. All noise was gone.

I guess the capacity is changing with humidity and touching with the other hand a metallic part helps.

Hope this helps

M

Reaction score
DROID IS POSSESSED and UNLOCK DOESN'T WORK

Seems like many are having same issues, and having a totally stock Droid 1, no drops, no water, it has been going crazy for weeks now erratically. Cleaing out edge of screen and metal case helped, like it did for others, but the unlock is giving me fits, works only one out of 20 times, and by then I miss the call. Bottom three buttons front right are dead, as are the on screen items on right side, and when I hit some on second row from right, they activate the buttons just to left???

Since it is out of warranty, is it worth replacing digitizer and screen, or just the digitizer. Or is the exchange option for the $100. offered the better route? Getting a refurbished phone for $100. doesn't sound like a good deal given the same issues may appear again as it had for others who went this route. I am in moment of decision, any help on best option they had experienced. Replacing digitizer and screen will cost almost as much as the refurbish phone option. If I repair it myself, anyone know how difficult it is with correct tools which some sell together with digitizer. I can't put up with this possessed phone any longer.

Thanks,

Reaction score
DROID IS POSSESSED and UNLOCK DOESN'T WORK

Curious,

Is there any application which eliminates unlock step to open phone on Droid 1. The unlock works only 1 out of 20 trys, and by then, I lose the call. lol

Thanks,

Gandyj

Reaction score
Droid is Possessed

My droid went nuts last week while traveling out of town. I noticed while driving the gps screen would jump from time to time then freeze. I'd restart the gps and it would clear up for a while but the jumping would come back. When I got to my destination I left it in the car on the charger. When I came back an hour later it had locked up. I took the battery out to reset it but when I put it back it went absolutely nuts. Random numbers would pop up and it would actually dial them on it's own. It actually dialed 911 so I had to immediately take the batttery out again. I found out later that I'd gotten a call from an aquaintance who told me my phone dialed them back, and I quote " a dozen times" and they wondered why I would call them and not say anything. I found the nearest Verizon store and they put the battery back in and got to witness for themselves the possession of my phone. They went through several steps to try to fix it but had no luck so I ended up using my upgrade to buy another phone.

Seawolf

Reaction score
I'm posting in this tread after doing a search about this droid possession because I am at my wits end.

I am on my second Droid 1 (replacement) and it is now possessed as well.

My first phone lasted about a year and a half problem free, but then suddenly just started going haywire. It started with the touchscreen being out of wack and then programs randomly opening, closing, and basically everything everyone else has posted. It got so bad I couldn't use the phone at all and filed an Ins claim to get a new one.

I got a refurb shortly after, also a droid 1, and for the first couple days everything was fine. After a couple of days i started to do the same thing. It would work for a couple days, but then randomely just flip out and be unusable.

I've tried factory resets, uninstalling apps, pullin batteries, etc, etc and nothing brings it back from the dark side. I basically have to let it just sit for a while and hope it works eventually. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't for days.

I am literally a week away from my upgrade date and I cannot wait! The problem is this phone has left such a bad taste in my mouth that I am literally considering an iphone, but I have a theory as to why these droids are crapping out.

When we got these things 2 years ago the OS was around something like 1.6 or 1.8 right? Now it's up to 2.2.2 and I think the new Android software just wasn't designed for the older phones and these droids just freak out. I've never rooted this phone or tried anything funky with it, but it just strikes me odd how one ay this thing functions perfectly and all of a sudden without changing anything it just acts like a spazoid on its own.

Now that I hear the BIONIC is probably even further out around Sept I need a phone now and my choices have narrowed. My two must haves are dual core and 4g, but as of right now Verizon has nothing meeting those. The Galaxy S2 is supposed to be coming to Verizon anytime now, but nothing solid yet.

I just can't take this pone anymore and I'm ready to chunk it in the bay.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I notice mine doing it when I'm web browsing. It will start scrolling like crazy even when I'm not touching the screen. I'll have to let it have it's 'fit', then I'll go back to browsing.

redwood

Reaction score
Don't think so because people started reporting this issue pretty soon after the phone was released. I think it is a hardware/design problem, probably in the very delicate ribbon cables that connect the screen to the back of the phone.

I think that Motorola has resolved this in subsequent designs because I have not seen any reports of this happening on Droid 2...someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh and btw I too am on my second droid, which has been great until I recently dropped it and the screen ended up half slid off, cocked at an extreme angle.....it has done the screen freakout a couple of times since, but I'm trying to hang on until the next crop of phones (galaxy sii, bionic, etc) arrive.

...I have a theory as to why these droids are crapping out.

When we got these things 2 years ago the OS was around something like 1.6 or 1.8 right? Now it's up to 2.2.2 and I think the new Android software just wasn't designed for the older phones and these droids just freak out. I've never rooted this phone or tried anything funky with it, but it just strikes me odd how one ay this thing functions perfectly and all of a sudden without changing anything it just acts like a spazoid on its own.

Last edited:

Seawolf

Reaction score
Don't think so because people started reporting this issue pretty soon after the phone was released. I think it is a hardware/design problem, probably in the very delicate ribbon cables that connect the screen to the back of the phone.

I think that Motorola has resolved this in subsequent designs because I have not seen any reports of this happening on Droid 2...someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh and btw I too am on my second droid, which has been great until I recently dropped it and the screen ended up half slid off, cocked at an extreme angle.....it has done the screen freakout a couple of times since, but I'm trying to hang on until the next crop of phones (galaxy sii, bionic, etc) arrive.

...I have a theory as to why these droids are crapping out.

Well I took a soft cloth and some alcohol to the screen of this droid and I'm not sure why, but it seem to make the wierdness go away for the time being. I read the part where someone said they cleaned their screen and had no more issues so I said surely it can't be that easy.

The only thing I can think of is maybe a film had built up on the screen causing a false input when I touched it? I'm not a electronics guru by any means, but I do work on aircraft and have a pretty good mechanical brain. We have touch screens in some of our aircraft and I've never seen screens just go haywire like that when they are dirty.

Anyway, it's going on 24 hours since the rub down and no issues so far (keeping fingers crossed). If you have any of those little alcohol hand wipes you get from the resturants hang on to them and clean your screen daily.

D34d10ck

Reaction score
Not hardware!

If you're seeing random screen presses, scrolling, etc. - It looks like someone evil it trying to control your precious Droid remotely.

THIS IS DEFINITELY A HARDWARE-RELATED PROBLEM. I debunk that!

Moto droid A855 I have had my droid forever done everything with it replaced it 3 times I just went on the phone being tapped list and for the first time its doing all the symptoms listed here and I am good at hardware the phone checks out.

There is a lot of talk out there about what is causing this problem (like using non-Moto chargers), but nobody has come up with anything definitive yet. But, it doesn't mean that the hardware problem isn't caused by software/firmware - such as by modifying your ROMs.

I'm hoping that with this thread, we can figure out the true source of the failure.

Don't vote on this if you aren't experiencing this problem.

To vote: In each of the "Charger", "ROM", and "Kernel" sections, pick the ONE item that best describes your normal usage. In the "Occurs" section, pick all that apply

Cheers,

AzJazz

Note: I know that most folks don't see this problem. But, for those of us that do, this could be a big help towards resolving the issue

Thank you,

D34d10ck