Does a random reboot to "droid eye" always indicate defective hardware ?

exxi

Reaction score
Hey,
With certain apps my droid rebooted when i started them. After the reboot that app worked kind of fine but still unstable. I dont understand, does this mean i have a defective droid and need to exchange it or can an app occasionally crash the droid and throw it into reboot cycles where it reboots over and over again without being able to launch the OS. I have to take out the battery and then it works fine.

Other than this my device is stable, it won't crash. So if I go with the droid for extended periods of time without a crash does that indicate that the there is no hardware defect and that the app caused the reboot?

In general, can reboots happen without necessarily being caused by hardware errors?

Thanks for the help guys

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey,
With certain apps my droid rebooted when i started them. After the reboot that app worked kind of fine but still unstable. I dont understand, does this mean i have a defective droid and need to exchange it or can an app occasionally crash the droid and throw it into reboot cycles where it reboots over and over again without being able to launch the OS. I have to take out the battery and then it works fine.

Other than this my device is stable, it won't crash. So if I go with the droid for extended periods of time without a crash does that indicate that the there is no hardware defect and that the app caused the reboot?

In general, can reboots happen without necessarily being caused by hardware errors?

Thanks for the help guys

More then likely it was a bad app. That is what causes these type of crashes 90% of the time. If you've isolated it to just 1 app then you've got your problem solved.

OP
E

exxi

Reaction score
You've got a point there. the only question is if a reboot to boot logo is a bad sign in general or can it really be caused by an app? how can I test the stability of my system (check if the hardware is really okay) if I can manage a system up-time of 24 hrs, does that mean that the device is good? What about those reboot loops when it crashes? also normal?
I am a bit paranoid, it is an expensive device and I love it soooooo much I don't want to give it away. Problem is I moved to a very remote place where I can't exchange it.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You've got a point there. the only question is if a reboot to boot logo is a bad sign in general or can it really be caused by an app? how can I test the stability of my system (check if the hardware is really okay) if I can manage a system up-time of 24 hrs, does that mean that the device is good? What about those reboot loops when it crashes? also normal?
I am a bit paranoid, it is an expensive device and I love it soooooo much I don't want to give it away. Problem is I moved to a very remote place where I can't exchange it.

A random reboot every now and then is not a big deal. If your experiencing them more then twice a week during your first 30 days I would trade it in for another device. So far in 20 days of use I have had only 1 random reboot and I think I caused that so maybe it wasn't really random.

When I had the Blackberry Storm on some OS's reboots DAILY were of the norm. If you have reboots like that with a Droid something is definitely wrong. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you at this point. If it continues to happen by all means take it back but I'll bet it was just that one bad app you had.

Droids

Reaction score
I would look at the user reviews for the app, see if anyone else has reboot issues. Of course I would uninstall it too, especially if this only occurs with one app. You could also do a factory reset, install only the trusted mainstream apps, for a while at least. If the reboots still occur then it may be a hardware issue.

bradgsanford

Reaction score
you need to get a new one. mine was doing this and it was not an app problem. I deleted all apps and put the phone in safe mode and it was still doing it.

boatman2220

Reaction score
I had to return the first Droid because of random shutdowns and re-starts. I noticed this within hours of getting it, after a couple of days just to make sure it wasn't operator error, I exchanged it. Now only time I've had problems has been apps that I've had to remove. They either hangup, or cause a force close, only had to reboot a couple of times. I'd suggested deleting apps, and try it pretty basic to see what happens. I noticed my problems just trying to text and other basic things like browsing. I've even put a cover on this one because battery pulls are just bad memories now that I've got the Droid.

droid100

Reaction score
I had a random reboot last night in the middle of a long email. It was the first time I was seriously pissed at the phone. I was in the middle of a compose in gmail, and dragged the notification screen down, since an email came in then boom... reboot.