Does 1.2.1 work on the new. 340 ota?

droidxchat

Reaction score
The 25MB OTA file is meant to do only one thing, get someone from a stock 2.3.15 to 2.3.340.

There is no difference in kernel or bootloader between .320 and .340. You can switch between them as much as you like.

If that's true then .32 users will have no prob doing ota, or using the .34 full sbf when they need to, is that correct?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

jhanford

Reaction score
The 25MB OTA file is meant to do only one thing, get someone from a stock 2.3.15 to 2.3.340.

There is no difference in kernel or bootloader between .320 and .340. You can switch between them as much as you like.

If that's true then .32 users will have no prob doing ota, is that correct?

You won't be able to OTA coz you're not coming from a recognized state. It would be like trying to OTA from 2.2 to 2.2

droidxchat

Reaction score
Sry I only meant with regard to bootloader. Im asking if someone on .32 leak (bootloader and all) were to system only sbf to stock .15, could they then successfully ota? Because if the kernels and bootloader are truly the same, then they should be able to. Solve that riddle, and youll have answered the most frequently asked question on the droid x forums over the past 2 days.

Fabolous

Superuser
Developer
Reaction score
Website
fabdroid.com
Sry I only meant with regard to bootloader. Im asking if someone on .32 leak (bootloader and all) were to system only sbf to stock .15, could they then successfully ota? Because if the kernels and bootloader are truly the same, then they should be able to. Solve that riddle, and youll have answered the most frequently asked question on the droid x forums over the past 2 days.

No...

.320 and .340 have the same bootloader and kernel, both of which are different from 2.3.15 and incompatible.

You CANNOT SBF back to 2.3.15 if you're on .320 and above.

If you're on .320, why would you want to SBF back to 2.3.15 to take the OTA to get to .340 when there's already a SBF to go to .340 directly from .320?

droidxchat

Reaction score
What I said was system only sbf back to .15, not full sbf. You CAN system only sbf to any version regardless of your current bootloader version. Youre saying theres no point to do that because the bootloaders btw .32 and ota are the same. What im saying is you can do this to check if the .32 and ota bootloaders are truly the same. Otherwise, if you dont ota and instead just go from .32 to .34 with a provided rom package (which would be.system only) you could find that next time you ota, you brick, just because you took some guys word for it that the bootloaders are the same where in reality they are not. This is a very simple way to be CERTAIN that the bootloaders are the same, without having to take someones word for it. Am I getting through to anyone???

Fabolous

Superuser
Developer
Reaction score
Website
fabdroid.com
What I said was system only sbf back to .15, not full sbf. You CAN system only sbf to any version regardless of your current bootloader version. Youre saying theres no point to do that because the bootloaders btw .32 and ota are the same. What im saying is you can do this to check if the .32 and ota bootloaders are truly the same. Otherwise, if you dont ota and instead just go from .32 to .34 with a provided rom package (which would be.system only) you could find that next time you ota, you brick, just because you took some guys word for it that the bootloaders are the same where in reality they are not. This is a very simple way to be CERTAIN that the bootloaders are the same, without having to take someones word for it. Am I getting through to anyone???

Well, since the 25MB OTA file is already out, we can just compare the kernel and bootloader updates inside it w/ the ones from the original .320 leak to see if they're the same.

Seems much easier than what you just described above.

droidxchat

Reaction score
Unless something changed, the 25mb ota release package is system only, it was when I last saw it. People are saying that it doesn't matter because the bootloaders are the same. I'm saying, someone needs to actually check so that everyone from .32 isnt bricking at the next ota.

If it does contain the bootloader/kernel updates, then you don't need to compare it to the .32 updates, you can just flash it on top and that's all the check you'll need, but make sure it contains the kernel/bootloader first and isnt still system only.

If it doesn't contain the bootloader, then the easiest way to be sure of compatibility is to do what I said... At least until.a full sbf is released.

Fabolous

Superuser
Developer
Reaction score
Website
fabdroid.com
Open the 25mb file and you'll see the files I'm talking about.

You cannot flash them individually without rewriting the updater script, it does a very good job of making updates fail if you're anything not stock 2.3.15.

droidxchat

Reaction score
Open the 25mb file and you'll see the files I'm talking about.

You cannot flash them individually without rewriting the updater script, it does a very good job of making updates fail if you're anything not stock 2.3.15.

You're saying the OTA runs checks outside of /system and actually looks at the bootloader to make sure its the .15 bootloader, right? Therefore, people on .32 would not be able to use this OTA to update to .34. They would have to extract /system out of this OTA and apply it to their .32, essentially the same thing as a system only sbf.

I'ma look at this updater script now. Thanks for the info Fab, you the man as always.

Also, I'm making a custom boot animation for apex that you might like, should be done tonight I already have the pngs so just need to piece them to frames.

Last edited:
OP
S
Reaction score
Why are ppl arguing with the devs? This is like when laymen try to tell me how to do my job or talk mechanical and I just lol. I trust that fab and drod and crackman and drocap and p3 etc... know wtf they are talking about. Plus you can just look at the files if you are any kind of computer saavy... the TBH system sbf gets you to pure 340 ota, period. That is until gingerbread gets leaked out and it all goes crazy all over again...

droidxchat

Reaction score
Why are ppl arguing with the devs? This is like when laymen try to tell me how to do my job or talk mechanical and I just lol. I trust that fab and drod and crackman and drocap and p3 etc... know wtf they are talking about. Plus you can just look at the files if you are any kind of computer saavy... the TBH system sbf gets you to pure 340 ota, period. That is until gingerbread gets leaked out and it all goes crazy all over again...

I wasnt arguing with fab I was trying to clarify what I was saying because he was misinterpreting what I meant.... And you act like just cuz someones a dev they won't ever make a mistake... If you just lol at people who are trying to help, you think that makes you cooler or smarter than them? Sry to beak it to ya but it works the opposite way. You assume no one knows what theyre talking about if theyre not a dev. I have the expertise but not the time nor the reason to develop because I can tell when a rom is good (apex). That doesn't mean I don't know what im talking about. How about you get over yourself...

jhanford

Reaction score
Hopefully we can all calm down now. :)

My two cents is that it unlikely you'll brick at the next OTA as it will have the same kind of checks. If the bootloader is the same, it will pass the check. If not it will not and the update will not be applied.

I would hazard a guess that the majority of bricks have come from SBF'ing with an older sbf that has a different boot loader.

About doing a backward system SBF: I certainly would not try doing that as the underlying kernel has changed from Android 2.2 to 2.2.1 so the /system will likely not be fully compatible.

Steady Hawkin

Fueling The Revolution
Developer
Reaction score
I'm on 320 and as long as I can update to roms made for 340 ill be a happy man. I could care less about the bloatware from the OTA. From what I have read it sounds like its not an issue. My question is if I need to SBF in the future should I use the 340 system only from TBH or the full SBF I have for 320?

@ scotty & droidx

Both of you guys have helped me out big time in the past, I hope we can all keep it trill.

jhanford

Reaction score
That would depend on what you are trying to achieve or what situation your phone is in.

If you are in a pseudo-brick situation, you will use the full .320 SBF, and the from there flash whatever system-only ROM you want. If you just want to experience the stock Moto 2.2.1, you would flash the .340 "ROM"

The .340 SBF is an image of the stock system partition. If it were made available as a zip to apply in recovery, the end result would be no different.

hyperlite

Reaction score
I'm on 320 and as long as I can update to roms made for 340 ill be a happy man. I could care less about the bloatware from the OTA. From what I have read it sounds like its not an issue. My question is if I need to SBF in the future should I use the 340 system only from TBH or the full SBF I have for 320?

@ scotty & droidx

Both of you guys have helped me out big time in the past, I hope we can all keep it trill.

Both of those SBF's are compatible. If the .340 system only doesn't fix what ails you, you're safe to do the .320.