1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Does 1.2.1 work on the new. 340 ota?

Discussion in 'Droid X Roms' started by ScottyDsntKnow, Dec 9, 2010.

1. ScottyDsntKnow

ScottyDsntKnow New Member

Just wondering. I am going to wait to upgrade if not. I hate everything about the stock rom.

Also, is the new apex thread gone because of the new ota or something? I don't see it...

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  2. droidxchat

droidxchat New Member

Droid forums app has a tab for stickies, you ll have to go to that tab to see the apex thread and themes thread

3. ScottyDsntKnow

Yeah I just got on a real computer and saw that. Doh...
  4. riahon

riahon New Member

SHouldn't be too long of a wait. He tweeted earlier: @Bigxie Wooow, got work in 5 hours. OK, as long as this build doesn't blow up on me tomorrow at work, I'm pretty sure it's 95% done. about 6 hours ago via TweetDeck
  5. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser Developer

Guys, remember that the .340 SBF is system only, that means it doesn't update your kernel or anything.

So if you did the .340 SBF, you'd get moved up to .340, and then if you installed 1.2.1 again, you'd just be right back at .320 :)
  6. Steady Hawkin

Steady Hawkin Fueling The Revolution Developer

If I'm already on the leak is there any reason to go to .340?
  7. ScottyDsntKnow

There will be when the new roms are released and are .340 only.
  8. Steady Hawkin

Do we have a way to upgrade from 320 to 340? I looked for an answer but have not had any luck
  9. jhanford

jhanford New Member

What Fab and Scotty are saying is this:

The difference between .320 and .340 are in the /system only. ApeX 1.2.1 takes the /system from .320 and makes changes to it to give us the wonderful system we have. If we flash .340 we lose ApeX because the /system is overwritten with all the new Moto stuff. If we THEN install ApeX 1.2.1, we again overwrite /system which removes all the Moto and updates and we're back to .320-based /system

Fab is working on ApeX 1.3 which will be ApeX on top of .340.

That's what we should be waiting for. :)
  10. Steady Hawkin

Thanks for the reply bro....so if I understand correctly even tho I'm on 320 I could go to the new apex when its out.....i just won't have some of the new bloatware like madden but it will update to 340?
  11. jhanford

jhanford New Member

Exactly! We'll have .340 because Fab will have built ApeX from the .340 stock /system folder.

We already have the kernel and bootloader from the OTA because that's what came with the .320 leak.

(Of course, this is assuming that nothing changed with those two items between versions, but that seems to be the case)
  12. Steady Hawkin

Perfect.....thank you!
  13. droidxchat

droidxchat New Member

A lot of people are saying nothing changed btw .32 and .34. But people should realize that something as small as a different version number within the bootloader/kernel will cause enough compatibility issues to brick. The bootloader for .34 MIGHT have different numbers simply as a result of being compiled later. If that's the case:

Can you system only sbf from .32 to .34? Yes. Can you full sbf from .15 to .34? Yes. But what happens when someone on .32 tries to full sbf to .15 or .34? Could very well be a brick. Basically, right now .32 users may be permanently limited to system only sbf's until the bootloader is cracked. So what does this mean as far as operation? Nada, except that youll never be able to OTA, and if a future ota changes the kernel for performance gain, youll still be stuck on the old one. P3 said he has a way back to .15 for .32 users, but I haven't seen it, and he said that a while ago. Id think he d have released it by now, anyone know if he has?

14. droidxchat

droidxchat New Member

By the way, has anyone heard of someone on .32 trying to ota to .34? That of course is the true test. If they succeed, you can disregard the above post and you have nothing to worry about.

15. Fabolous

The 25MB OTA file is meant to do only one thing, get someone from a stock 2.3.15 to 2.3.340.

There is no difference in kernel or bootloader between .320 and .340. You can switch between them as much as you like.
  16. droidxchat

droidxchat New Member

If that's true then .32 users will have no prob doing ota, or using the .34 full sbf when they need to, is that correct?

17. jhanford

jhanford New Member

You won't be able to OTA coz you're not coming from a recognized state. It would be like trying to OTA from 2.2 to 2.2

18. droidxchat

droidxchat New Member

Sry I only meant with regard to bootloader. Im asking if someone on .32 leak (bootloader and all) were to system only sbf to stock .15, could they then successfully ota? Because if the kernels and bootloader are truly the same, then they should be able to. Solve that riddle, and youll have answered the most frequently asked question on the droid x forums over the past 2 days.

19. Fabolous

No...

.320 and .340 have the same bootloader and kernel, both of which are different from 2.3.15 and incompatible.

You CANNOT SBF back to 2.3.15 if you're on .320 and above.

If you're on .320, why would you want to SBF back to 2.3.15 to take the OTA to get to .340 when there's already a SBF to go to .340 directly from .320?
  20. droidxchat

droidxchat New Member

What I said was system only sbf back to .15, not full sbf. You CAN system only sbf to any version regardless of your current bootloader version. Youre saying theres no point to do that because the bootloaders btw .32 and ota are the same. What im saying is you can do this to check if the .32 and ota bootloaders are truly the same. Otherwise, if you dont ota and instead just go from .32 to .34 with a provided rom package (which would be.system only) you could find that next time you ota, you brick, just because you took some guys word for it that the bootloaders are the same where in reality they are not. This is a very simple way to be CERTAIN that the bootloaders are the same, without having to take someones word for it. Am I getting through to anyone???