Do I have to format my sd, when moving to unrooted phone?

wade1

Reaction score
OK, heres the deal. Asurion sent me a new Droid in the mail today, my other droid was rooted. Do I just stick my old SD in there or should I go through some formatting first? The cord they gave me isn't USB though and I left the original one at my girlfriends, but I can get it tomorrow. What should I do though?

thunter

Reaction score
You can stick the SD card in, the new droid will not write to it until you download a program or try to save something, (Text message, etc.) If you root the new phone, it's going to look for the rooting software on the SD. It wouldn't be a bad idea to back that card up if you've got something got to save. If there's nothing to important, (Video of your dog playing poker or something...) then go ahead and try it as I doubt it word erase anything if you rooted, only add the new files to the card.

Good Luck

Jejackson

Reaction score
I put my rooted sd card into my wife's unrooted Droid and it still booted up her phone as if it were hers (her gmail, texts, apps, etc.) the only thing it recognized different was the pictures. It took awhile for it to load them but they were there, I tried to see if it would recognize my music as well but after 15 seconds of nothing I gave up. I have a lot of music though and it may have needed longer to read the sd card. I think any folders already on the sd card are just there until you download the app that created the folder (note apps for instance) so I think your safe