Ditched Fascinate for X

DroidEric

Reaction score
Much happier now... running Rubix Focused. Had an Eris, then D1, fascinate, now this. Pretty happy.
4a6ecc9c-fdd5-6c93.jpg

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Dude, I had the hardest time deciding between the fascinate. That screen is bewitched I tell you!! Anyway I ultimately decided on the X because the screen is still freaking beautiful and I feel it has better rooting support/community! dancedroid

dispatch1054

Reaction score
Mind if I ask you both why you switched? I had a helluva time trying to decide between the two and ended up with the Fascinate. The DX is still in the back of my mind though :).

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Mind if I ask you both why you switched? I had a helluva time trying to decide between the two and ended up with the Fascinate. The DX is still in the back of my mind though :).

Lol I know you weren't asking me but in addition to the stuff I posted I was also reading about some bugs on the fascinate like the gps and how it's firmware doesn't see all 512mb of ram and plus I didn't feel like waiting around for froyo.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

dispatch1054

Reaction score

Lol I know you weren't asking me but in addition to the stuff I posted I was also reading about some bugs on the fascinate like the gps and how it's firmware doesn't see all 512mb of ram and plus I didn't feel like waiting around for froyo.

Thanks! Any input is really appreciated. I haven't tried the gps yet, but I hear it's pretty god awful. Hopefully it gets fixed with Froyo? And speaking of, it's kinda upsetting that it's taken sooo long for the update with Gingerbread right on the horizon. Wonder how long it'll take to get 2.3 haha.

The phone is great. Fast, great size, amazing screen. I've got it rooted and de-binged, but lack of support is a little troubling. Plus, I'm still getting used to it, but it's very very light..

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score

Thanks! Any input is really appreciated. I haven't tried the gps yet, but I hear it's pretty god awful. Hopefully it gets fixed with Froyo? And speaking of, it's kinda upsetting that it's taken sooo long for the update with Gingerbread right on the horizon. Wonder how long it'll take to get 2.3 haha.

The phone is great. Fast, great size, amazing screen. I've got it rooted and de-binged, but lack of support is a little troubling. Plus, I'm still getting used to it, but it's very very light..

I hear you man, if it wasn't for the lack of froyo and rooting/customization support I'd probably have one too. The X is really just something to tide me over until the real bad boys come out next year. So I needed a phone that'd I'd be able to play around with til then. Lol

OP
DroidEric

DroidEric

Reaction score
It came down to froyo, battery life, a normal file system, and dev support. The X will get 2.3 when the fascinate gets 2.2.

dispatch1054

Reaction score
It came down to froyo, battery life, a normal file system, and dev support. The X will get 2.3 when the fascinate gets 2.2.

Ah okay thank you! Those are the reasons I'm thinking about switching. And call quality/signal strength to be honest.

@ JonKyu: definitely. Next year is gonna be amazing for phones! If I don't get the DX I may just return the fascinate and wait for something amazing to come along. The incredible HD comes to mind: )

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score

Ah okay thank you! Those are the reasons I'm thinking about switching. And call quality/signal strength to be honest.

@ JonKyu: definitely. Next year is gonna be amazing for phones! If I don't get the DX I may just return the fascinate and wait for something amazing to come along. The incredible HD comes to mind: )

Lol I was waiting for the incHD but after learning the specs of the Etna/Olympus or whatever it's called, I think that's going to be the droid I'm looking for!

dispatch1054

Reaction score

Lol I was waiting for the incHD but after learning the specs of the Etna/Olympus or whatever it's called, I think that's going to be the droid I'm looking for!

Haha fair enough. They both look / sound ridiculously awesome. It'll certainly be a tough decision. Even tougher than the fascinate vs Droid x lol.

hucworld

Reaction score
I actually did the reverse. I had the Droid X and went to the Fascinate. One reason was that Best Buy had it for a $1 on Black Friday. Anyway after having the Droid X for a while I wanted something else. I can't and won't say anything awful about the Droid X because it was and is a sexy device. The huge screen made it that much more appealing. Being that I was already use to the the Galaxy S line because I owned an Epic 4G I didn't feel like it was that big of a leap. So far so good. Call quality seems to be a bit more clear on the Fascinate than on the Droid X. Not to mention the beauty of the screen. I am doing my best to overlook Bing.

xliderider

Reaction score
Call quality on the X is much better, especially in noisy environments, the noise cancelling mics make a big difference.

I also used the GPS daily, so the Fascinate's GPS didn't cut it for me. I had to reboot the device before using GPS, or it would be trying to lock on satellites for a long time. Sometimes I would be halfway to my destination before it would lock on satellites.

The Market on the Fascinate would also take a long time to come up, and downloads also seemed to take forever to start.

The form factor on the Fascinate is really nice, but truth be told, the X isn't much bigger and heavier than the Fascinate.

77Pat

Reaction score
I had a hard time deciding between the x and the fascinate. For me I chose the X since I liked the reports on call quality, build quality and battery life.

I preferred the size of the Fascinate and how many codecs it supported as a media player, along with sound quality from the dac.

What concerned me is how many times the 2.2 upgrade has been pushed back. Gingerbread is almost coming out and who knows when the device would get updated.

On a few forums for different products (bluray players=not playing recent releases, cameras, washer/dryers, tv's=buzzing, other phones=being replaced and forgotten) there were various reports of Samsung devices having great features for the price. But the weakness is support of the products and software/firmware issues.

In the past I had no problems with Motorola after owning the e815 and w385. Some people have sworn off Motorola because of issues, but for me the phones have been tanks and been able to pull in a signal when no one elses would.

Deebeez

Reaction score
I'm seriously considering returning my fascinate for a DX. While the screen is beautiful, the fact that no one seems to know when 2.2 is coming bothers me, especially when faced with some very annoying bugs.