Droid X or Samsung Fascinate?

soba1

Reaction score
i havent played with the samsung yet, but was just wondering about the super amoled and the 1 ghz hummingbird processor? any better than the droid x's

The GPU in hummingbird is faster than the GPU in the TI processors in DX. For 99% of the apps that extra GPU speed might not mean anything at all, but it should result in better 3D gaming. People describe the super amoled screen as being "vibrant". It actually oversaturates colors to an unnatural level. That's not good.

If gaming is your primary concern then def the Fascinate. But funny thing I compared the tmobile versin you tube against my x an oddly enough. My X was richer... go figure. With Froyo coming I heard it make rendering on the X smoother

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I owned the Samsung i910 & the i920 Omnia's.....
NEVER again.
I would change the last to letters of Samsung to "CK"

IMHO

Hmmm u didnt like the Omnia 2? I feel your pain with the Omnia 1. lol I was so pissed with it I didnt even look twice at the 2. I should thank it tho cuz it scared me so bad with touchscreens it drove me into the arms of the Droid 1. I just knew I needed a slide out keyboard with a touchscreen.

Between the X and Fascinate? Its hard to say. U have Amoled vs. LCD. Each has pros n cons. I personally like LCD.

After that its up in the air...lol

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
samsung for gaming and lighter phone, but less storage. moto for more storage and sturdier built but not as fast in 3d processing dept.

psychotic_penguin

Reaction score
I also had an Omnia, and also never looked at the Omnia 2. It was my last WinMo phone because I went from it to the Droid then to the X.

With the Fascinate is it going to have battery issues with the amoled screen? The DX is hands down the best phone I've ever had and as a Motorola fanboy, I'll never go to another brand.

LouS

Reaction score
Before I got my X, I was thinking about waiting for the Fascinate also. A friend has the T-Mobile Vibrant and I spent some time checking it out since it's very similar in form/function to the Fascinate. It has a super nice screen but that's the only advantage in my opinion. It looks like a bigger Iphone and who wants that? My biggest con is the Vibrant felt like a toy, very light and cheap feeling. Felt like I would break it easily. The X feels solid. Plus the X is more customizable. No regrets here on the X...

bobthebob

Reaction score
well I just got the DX and I'm not at all sure what you mean by 'more customizable' - hell, even with a rooted DX I STILL can't get rid of CityID and as for flashing custom ROMs well never mind.

Samsung doesn't put encrypted chips in their phones - sorry I mean *MY* phone - who's *entire purpose* is to brick your/my phone if you go and mess around with their ROM.

the Galaxy S's have been able to be flashed with ROMs from the get go.

but really - the biggest let down with my DX is the SOFTWARE. this phone does a lot of things well and looks great - BUT as far as *making calls and acting like a phone* - well my $20 4year old Nokia has it beat.

I can't even open my contact list and start typing to find a contact. I have to use the specific 'search contacts' widget - which is NOT in the dialer.
I can't use the 9key pad to filter my contact list for a call - like the HTC Sense UI, I can't add numbers with one click in the dialer window to my contact list... etc etc.

AND - I really don't need every Facebook and Google contact included in my phone's default contact list... it's annoying as all hell.

so - I'm probably going to switch over to the Fascinate when it comes out... unless Froyo fixes some of these 'features'.
or unless we get the ability to (safely) flash custom ROMs on this thing.

but then maybe I'm missing something? this is only day 3 with the thing.

-bvb

Last edited by a moderator:

garath

Reaction score
well I just got the DX and I'm not at all sure what you mean by 'more customizable' - hell, even with a rooted DX I STILL can't get rid of CityID and as for flashing custom ROMs well never mind.

Samsung doesn't put encrypted chips in their phones - sorry I mean *MY* phone - who's *entire purpose* is to brick your/my phone if you go and mess around with their ROM.

the Galaxy S's have been able to be flashed with ROMs from the get go.

I agree with you. The locked down bootloader is annoying. The eFuse chip does not brick the phone though. I haven't rooted my phone but I'm pretty sure you can get rid of CityID if you root though.

but really - the biggest let down with my DX is the SOFTWARE. this phone does a lot of things well and looks great - BUT as far as *making calls and acting like a phone* - well my $20 4year old Nokia has it beat.

I can't even open my contact list and start typing to find a contact. I have to use the specific 'search contacts' widget - which is NOT in the dialer.
I can't use the 9key pad to filter my contact list for a call - like the HTC Sense UI, I can't add numbers with one click in the dialer window to my contact list... etc etc.

If you open the contact list, you can hit the menu button and search the contacts. I don't think the Fascinate will solve the lack of a SenseUI I'm afraid, no keypad on the Samsung either. I'm not sure what you mean by one click dialer window? You can use a motorola widget to put a contact on your home screen with a direct click to dial any number. That's just the stock motorola software, there are Android apps that can do that type of stuff as well. There's also the favorites tab on the contacts window with one click dialing, you can also set up speed dialing for 9 numbers.

AND - I really don't need every Facebook and Google contact included in my phone's default contact list... it's annoying as all hell.

That's definitely a sucky motorola software thing. I haven't touched the social app stuff and all my contacts are just my google contacts (like they are supposed to be).

I still believe motorola is where it's at. Call QUALITY - reception, clarity, etc, is top notch on all Motorola phones I've touched.

Last edited by a moderator:

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
U can also hit the search hard key and search the contacts like that in the dialer. But, it changed in the leaked Froyo. I cant do it that way from the dialer anymore. I can still do it like that from the Contacts tab tho.

themuttt

Reaction score
I owned the Samsung i910 & the i920 Omnia's.....
NEVER again.
I would change the last to letters of Samsung to "CK"

IMHO

Hmmm u didnt like the Omnia 2? I feel your pain with the Omnia 1. lol I was so pissed with it I didnt even look twice at the 2. I should thank it tho cuz it scared me so bad with touchscreens it drove me into the arms of the Droid 1. I just knew I needed a slide out keyboard with a touchscreen.

Between the X and Fascinate? Its hard to say. U have Amoled vs. LCD. Each has pros n cons. I personally like LCD.

After that its up in the air...lol

when my X final shows up, there will be a video of an Omnia getting smashed to bits. I hated my Omnia but my mother in-law is using it right now, once I get my X, the wife gets the D1 and MIL gets wife's old BB Tour.

Fascinate sounds good on paper, but the reviews I have seen for the other Galaxy phones make them sound like Samsung cut corners, although I have not played with one personally so I can't say first hand that this is actually the case

Gee223

Reaction score
Hummingbird is better than OMAP for graphics? The TI seems pretty awesome as it is. With the Real HDMI app emulators are running 60 fps to an HDTV. Its a little jittery at times, but ITS A PHONE (and Froyo will help).

I'm going with the X personally. Charging ports go on the side, and metal>plastic! I drop things a lot, lol.

soba1

Reaction score
Hummingbird is better than OMAP for graphics? The TI seems pretty awesome as it is. With the Real HDMI app emulators are running 60 fps to an HDTV. Its a little jittery at times, but ITS A PHONE (and Froyo will help).

I'm going with the X personally. Charging ports go on the side, and metal>plastic! I drop things a lot, lol.

The graphics are awesome.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score

They both use the same gpu: PowerVR. The Hummingbird has the latest version tho, the 540. The one in the X is older, the 530. So yea, the Hummingbird has a better gpu.