Difficulty adding music files to my Droid

OP
richrcp

richrcp

Reaction score
are the files simply not showing up, or are you actually getting a message saying the file is not supported?

when i first started putting music on my Droid it didn't find the files because of how they were labeled. i changed the way they were labeled and they showed up.

one piece of advice. if you plan to put a ton of music on your Droid, download Winamp and rip the files using the HE-AAC codec at 64Kbps. they will sound just as good or better than standard MP3 at 192Kbps, and take up A LOT less space. i have 861 songs on my Droid and am only using 2.15gig. the only issue i had was that the stock music player was unable to find the album art. my solution was to download an app from the market that finds and downloads the album art.

How did you relabel the file????? The standard player does not even see the music but if I go into my file manager on the Droid and attempt to open the music file this is where I get the not supported error!!!

jasonb

Reaction score
are the files simply not showing up, or are you actually getting a message saying the file is not supported?

when i first started putting music on my Droid it didn't find the files because of how they were labeled. i changed the way they were labeled and they showed up.

one piece of advice. if you plan to put a ton of music on your Droid, download Winamp and rip the files using the HE-AAC codec at 64Kbps. they will sound just as good or better than standard MP3 at 192Kbps, and take up A LOT less space. i have 861 songs on my Droid and am only using 2.15gig. the only issue i had was that the stock music player was unable to find the album art. my solution was to download an app from the market that finds and downloads the album art.

How did you relabel the file????? The standard player does not even see the music but if I go into my file manager on the Droid and attempt to open the music file this is where I get the not supported error!!!

i guess what i mean by label was the ID3v2 tagging. the default settings that WMP used for tagging was not being accepted by my Droid. the stock player was not finding them. i don't remember what setting i changed, but i got it to work. since then i have switched to Winamp and write my files in HE-AAC at 64Kbps.

if you are going into your file explorer and they are not working then i am not sure what the issue is. when i had mine mislabeled i was still able to play them when i used the file explorer to find them. double check to see what format they are written in i guess.

samiusmc

Reaction score
No, when you have the CD there is no DRM transferred during the ripping process... DRM is added to digital media (i.e. downloads) not to the CDs (well, a few older ones that Sony tried, but they've since stopped) IF you can RIPP the cd then their either is NO protection on it or your computer/software already bypassed it.

Droid WILL play WMA the files were likely just encoded incorrectly under your settings.

As to 'where' the music is placed it goes onto the SD card to wherever you put it (though it's recommended you create a Music folder if there is not one already).

Also for easy of transferring some may want to look into these:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-faq/5616-howto-wifi-mount-your-droid.html
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...portal-droid-pc-media-sync-more-via-wifi.html

Without sounding like a jerk, I think you're incorrect. When I first tried to load my music files to my Droid from itunes, I had the same problem with about 100 songs. The problem was DRM protection. Even though the songs were ripped from my CD, some still had DRM protection. (I think that itunes places DRM on the files when they are ripped using itunes.)

FOR THE OP: I resolved the issue using a DRM remover/converter. Do a Google search and you'll see many DRM removers available. The one I used was about $20 but there may be shareware versions available.

stuhasdroid

Reaction score
Copying music to Droid

I believe it is correct that you will find iTunes sometimes placing protection such as DRM on ripped music and of course you will find by default it will not rip to MP3.

iTunes is pretty flexible and pretty robust. I don't use it any longer now that I've parked my iPod for the Droid but it is pretty flexible. But given Apple wants the ability to do commerce with music labels they smartly do what they can to be a good colleague to the music industry.

It is simpler to use Windows media and rip to .mp3 or use a robust free tool like AudioGrabber. AudioGrabber as someone was mentioning provides plenty of tuning and configuring for choosing the desired bit rate, etc ..

When you have your music library ready just mount the Droid as a mass media device via USB and copy to a Music folder.

There is a album art product in the market that works fine for retrieving album art. I think I paid a couple of dollars for it.

Peace,

Cold Irons

Reaction score
Without sounding like a jerk, I think you're incorrect. When I first tried to load my music files to my Droid from itunes, I had the same problem with about 100 songs. The problem was DRM protection. Even though the songs were ripped from my CD, some still had DRM protection. (I think that itunes places DRM on the files when they are ripped using itunes.)

FOR THE OP: I resolved the issue using a DRM remover/converter. Do a Google search and you'll see many DRM removers available. The one I used was about $20 but there may be shareware versions available.

Actually, you are incorrect on this. iTunes never adds DRM when you rip from a CD. You have to set up if you want to encode as MP3 or ACC, but the resulting rips NEVER add DRM. Only songs downloaded from the iTunes Music Store had DRM, and this is no longer true (ITMS, like Amazon, does not use DRM now).

Scribble

Reaction score
Only songs downloaded from the iTunes Music Store had DRM, and this is no longer true (ITMS, like Amazon, does not use DRM now).

I was under the impression they still had some songs that were DRM? They switched over to all songs no longer DRM?

Cold Irons

Reaction score
Ummm...I may have "overspoke"; yes, I think there are still occasional songs you'll find on ITMS with DRM. However, most (90% +) are DRM free - and in general, the DRM-free will be about 30 cents more than the few remaining DRM'd songs.

In any event, ripping CDs with iTunes, for those still using iTunes to rip, will not add DRM to the resulting MP3s or ACCs.

Danthok

Reaction score
Download Audio Grabber it is a freeware open-source MP3 ripper/converter.