Difficulty adding music files to my Droid

richrcp

Reaction score
Have attempted to add two albums to my Droid and keep getting an error that says the player does not support this type of audio file. The albums have been ripped from CD's and added to the My Music file in Windows XP, then moved to my Droid. Any help would be appreciated!!!:icon_ banana:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Probably. wmv files. I'm pretty sure you will need to convert them to mp3 files. Do you still have the CDs? You can download iTunes and rip the CDs as MP3. Either that or look on Google for something to convert those files.

There may even be an app, I just don't know for sure.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Probably. wmv files. I'm pretty sure you will need to convert them to mp3 files. Do you still have the CDs? You can download iTunes and rip the CDs as MP3. Either that or look on Google for something to convert those files.

There may even be an app, I just don't know for sure.

? .wmv is video you probably mean .wma but it IS supported. Least according to Motorola's own press:
DROID by Motorola - Android phone - Motorola USA (but admittedly haven't used it, Zune keeps everything as MP3)

You can use WinAmp or Zune to rip into mp3. But the format shouldn't be the problem. Double check the settings of the rip (i.e. bitrate, encoding). It would help to know what they were ripped as?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I use a Mac and iTunes. I'm able to click and drag individual songs or entire albums to my Droid. So far no problems.

Mike

xRITE AIDEx

Reaction score
My question is, is when you add music where does it go like does it go to the 14GBs when added or what. Cause I havent decided if I want to add music compared to just Pandora which I love.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I believe it is stored on your SD card.

Mike

griz8791

Reaction score
Rich:

1. You can rip mp3s with Windows Media Player.

2. If you didn't change the rip format, Windows Media Player probably ripped them in Windows Media Audio format. You will know that if the filenames on your desktop end in a *.wma extension.

3. But even if they are wma files, the default player will play them.

4. I don't think it matters where you put them on your SD card on the Droid because the default player scans the entire card and builds a library of all playable files it finds on the card, including both mp3 and wma.

OP
richrcp

richrcp

Reaction score
Griz,

What is odd about this issue is that my Droid plays other Albums in the WMA format!!!! Any thoughts

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
No, when you have the CD there is no DRM transferred during the ripping process... DRM is added to digital media (i.e. downloads) not to the CDs (well, a few older ones that Sony tried, but they've since stopped) IF you can RIPP the cd then their either is NO protection on it or your computer/software already bypassed it.

Droid WILL play WMA the files were likely just encoded incorrectly under your settings.

As to 'where' the music is placed it goes onto the SD card to wherever you put it (though it's recommended you create a Music folder if there is not one already).

Also for easy of transferring some may want to look into these:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-faq/5616-howto-wifi-mount-your-droid.html
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...portal-droid-pc-media-sync-more-via-wifi.html

griz8791

Reaction score
I think KZI is right and you don't have a DRM issue if you have the original CD. Sorry for the wild goose chase.

To verify whether the file is or is not DRM-protected, when I roll my desktop cursor over the desktop copy of the file, a properties summary comes up and in my case it says "protected: no." Alternatively, you can right click on the file, then properties, then click on the "summary" tab.

jasonb

Reaction score
are the files simply not showing up, or are you actually getting a message saying the file is not supported?

when i first started putting music on my Droid it didn't find the files because of how they were labeled. i changed the way they were labeled and they showed up.

one piece of advice. if you plan to put a ton of music on your Droid, download Winamp and rip the files using the HE-AAC codec at 64Kbps. they will sound just as good or better than standard MP3 at 192Kbps, and take up A LOT less space. i have 861 songs on my Droid and am only using 2.15gig. the only issue i had was that the stock music player was unable to find the album art. my solution was to download an app from the market that finds and downloads the album art.

Last edited: