Difficulty adding music files to my Droid

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by richrcp, Feb 1, 2010.

1. richrcp

richrcp New Member

Have attempted to add two albums to my Droid and keep getting an error that says the player does not support this type of audio file. The albums have been ripped from CD's and added to the My Music file in Windows XP, then moved to my Droid. Any help would be appreciated!!!:icon_ banana:
  2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Probably. wmv files. I'm pretty sure you will need to convert them to mp3 files. Do you still have the CDs? You can download iTunes and rip the CDs as MP3. Either that or look on Google for something to convert those files.

There may even be an app, I just don't know for sure.
  3. richrcp

richrcp New Member

Can you not rip files as MP3 with windows media player
  4. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

? .wmv is video you probably mean .wma but it IS supported. Least according to Motorola's own press:
    DROID by Motorola - Android phone - Motorola USA (but admittedly haven't used it, Zune keeps everything as MP3)

You can use WinAmp or Zune to rip into mp3. But the format shouldn't be the problem. Double check the settings of the rip (i.e. bitrate, encoding). It would help to know what they were ripped as?
  5. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

I use a Mac and iTunes. I'm able to click and drag individual songs or entire albums to my Droid. So far no problems.

Mike
  6. xRITE AIDEx

xRITE AIDEx New Member

My question is, is when you add music where does it go like does it go to the 14GBs when added or what. Cause I havent decided if I want to add music compared to just Pandora which I love.
  7. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

I believe it is stored on your SD card.

Mike
  8. griz8791

griz8791 New Member

Rich:

1. You can rip mp3s with Windows Media Player.

2. If you didn't change the rip format, Windows Media Player probably ripped them in Windows Media Audio format. You will know that if the filenames on your desktop end in a *.wma extension.

3. But even if they are wma files, the default player will play them.

4. I don't think it matters where you put them on your SD card on the Droid because the default player scans the entire card and builds a library of all playable files it finds on the card, including both mp3 and wma.
  9. richrcp

richrcp New Member

Griz,

What is odd about this issue is that my Droid plays other Albums in the WMA format!!!! Any thoughts
  10. griz8791

griz8791 New Member

Could these particular albums be DRM-protected?
  11. richrcp

richrcp New Member

What indicates the DRM protection
  12. richrcp

richrcp New Member

What is the indication of DRM protection
  13. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

No, when you have the CD there is no DRM transferred during the ripping process... DRM is added to digital media (i.e. downloads) not to the CDs (well, a few older ones that Sony tried, but they've since stopped) IF you can RIPP the cd then their either is NO protection on it or your computer/software already bypassed it.

Droid WILL play WMA the files were likely just encoded incorrectly under your settings.

As to 'where' the music is placed it goes onto the SD card to wherever you put it (though it's recommended you create a Music folder if there is not one already).

Also for easy of transferring some may want to look into these:
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-faq/5616-howto-wifi-mount-your-droid.html
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...portal-droid-pc-media-sync-more-via-wifi.html
  14. griz8791

griz8791 New Member

I think KZI is right and you don't have a DRM issue if you have the original CD. Sorry for the wild goose chase.

To verify whether the file is or is not DRM-protected, when I roll my desktop cursor over the desktop copy of the file, a properties summary comes up and in my case it says "protected: no." Alternatively, you can right click on the file, then properties, then click on the "summary" tab.
  15. jasonb

jasonb New Member

are the files simply not showing up, or are you actually getting a message saying the file is not supported?

when i first started putting music on my Droid it didn't find the files because of how they were labeled. i changed the way they were labeled and they showed up.

one piece of advice. if you plan to put a ton of music on your Droid, download Winamp and rip the files using the HE-AAC codec at 64Kbps. they will sound just as good or better than standard MP3 at 192Kbps, and take up A LOT less space. i have 861 songs on my Droid and am only using 2.15gig. the only issue i had was that the stock music player was unable to find the album art. my solution was to download an app from the market that finds and downloads the album art.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  16. richrcp

richrcp New Member

How did you relabel the file????? The standard player does not even see the music but if I go into my file manager on the Droid and attempt to open the music file this is where I get the not supported error!!!
  17. jasonb

jasonb New Member

i guess what i mean by label was the ID3v2 tagging. the default settings that WMP used for tagging was not being accepted by my Droid. the stock player was not finding them. i don't remember what setting i changed, but i got it to work. since then i have switched to Winamp and write my files in HE-AAC at 64Kbps.

if you are going into your file explorer and they are not working then i am not sure what the issue is. when i had mine mislabeled i was still able to play them when i used the file explorer to find them. double check to see what format they are written in i guess.
  18. samiusmc

samiusmc Member

Without sounding like a jerk, I think you're incorrect. When I first tried to load my music files to my Droid from itunes, I had the same problem with about 100 songs. The problem was DRM protection. Even though the songs were ripped from my CD, some still had DRM protection. (I think that itunes places DRM on the files when they are ripped using itunes.)

FOR THE OP: I resolved the issue using a DRM remover/converter. Do a Google search and you'll see many DRM removers available. The one I used was about $20 but there may be shareware versions available.
  19. ///Mangler

///Mangler New Member

20. stuhasdroid

stuhasdroid New Member

Copying music to Droid

I believe it is correct that you will find iTunes sometimes placing protection such as DRM on ripped music and of course you will find by default it will not rip to MP3.

iTunes is pretty flexible and pretty robust. I don't use it any longer now that I've parked my iPod for the Droid but it is pretty flexible. But given Apple wants the ability to do commerce with music labels they smartly do what they can to be a good colleague to the music industry.

It is simpler to use Windows media and rip to .mp3 or use a robust free tool like AudioGrabber. AudioGrabber as someone was mentioning provides plenty of tuning and configuring for choosing the desired bit rate, etc ..

When you have your music library ready just mount the Droid as a mass media device via USB and copy to a Music folder.

There is a album art product in the market that works fine for retrieving album art. I think I paid a couple of dollars for it.

Peace,
Search tags for this page

android does not support this type of audio file

droid when adding song it says it might not be playable
having trouble adding music to droid razr m
how to add a music cd contents to my bionic android
how to put music from my zune to my motorola razr