Difference between SBF and "This"

OP
K

KHeeney5

Reaction score
So Maderstock is basically a nandroid backup that you just flash in recovery? But SBF is...? And why would someone SBF instead of Maderstock?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
SBF is Motorola's flash standard format -- it's what they use to program the phone out of the box, and what we use to fix our biggest mistakes when nandroid backups go wrong.

OP
K

KHeeney5

Reaction score
But when would you need to SBF instead of Maderstock? Maderstock just makes sense.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sometimes things get so screwed up that Maderstock (Nandroid) backups are impossible. In these cases, we do SBF restores to get back to a point where we can do something with the phone.

Most people who complain of ''bricks'' are actually in bootloops -- which can usually only be fixed by SFB restores.

cgrimm9

Reaction score
so you decide to flash a new rom and figure what the heck lets install the data capp block hack at the same time. Now you restart the phone and you are stuck at the m logo. I guess maderstock won't work cause you no longer can get into recovery to do so. you need the sbf for this.

xliderider

Reaction score
I keep a copy of the maderstock.zip file on my sd card just in case. :cool:

I also have a collection of sbf files and the TBH zip patch files at the ready on my pc. Just in case. ;)

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think MD5 uses filename in the checksum.... **reads wiki page on MD5**

xliderider

Reaction score

That's what I thought. So it would have been better if the maderstock.zip file was named and compiled as Update.zip so if all you could get into was stock recovery, then you could use it.

As it is, you need to be in Clockwork Mod Recovery to use the maderstock.zip file.

OP
K

KHeeney5

Reaction score

That's what I thought. So it would have been better if the maderstock.zip file was named and compiled as Update.zip so if all you could get into was stock recovery, then you could use it.

As it is, you need to be in Clockwork Mod Recovery to use the maderstock.zip file.

So if I keep a copy of the Maderstock stored as "Update.zip" on my SD card, and somehow I get F*cked up, I can still use the "Update.zip"/maderstock?

xliderider

Reaction score
I haven't tried it but I believe you can't rename it or you will get an md5 checksum error and it will fail. You can certainly keep a copy of the file on your sd card for insurance though, because you never know if that backup file you made may refuse to load.

But you will need to be in Clockwork Mod Recovery to use it.

OP
K

KHeeney5

Reaction score
I haven't tried it but I believe you can't rename it or you will get an md5 checksum error and it will fail. You can certainly keep a copy of the file on your sd card for insurance though, because you never know if that backup file you made may refuse to load.

But you will need to be in Clockwork Mod Recovery to use it.

You can rename the CW nandroid's that you make, right? :icon_eek: