Did I just lose everything?

SGTCap

Reaction score
I just did a factory reset/wipe data and cache. I forgot to partition the SD card first. Now all my pics and SMS text backup files are gone. The only thing I have is my wallpaper that was made from a photo on my phone. Is all this stuff gone now? Any way to recover it?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
That's odd. I never partition the SD card when I wipe/factory reset and I don't lose any of my pics that I take. I do lose the texts.

Sent from my GalaxyNexus using DroidForums

Caligula2008

Reaction score
Yes you lost everything. A factory reset is different from a data wipe like in clockwork. Factory reset literally sets everything back to new. You must copy everything you want to keep from /sdcard to somewhere like your PC.

Very sorry if this was unclear but a factory reset always does this to a device... it wipes everything on it leaving a like-new device. Unlike previous Android phones where the sd card is separate from the device the nexus has it internally which is why this happened.

Now a factory reset is the only time this occurs because wiping data and cache ... etc,. when say flashing a ROM, does not touch /sdcard

Best of luck and sorry for the loss.

Caligula2008

Reaction score
That's odd. I never partition the SD card when I wipe/factory reset and I don't lose any of my pics that I take. I do lose the texts.

A wipe and a factory reset is NOT the same thing :) my guess is you haven't factory reset just wiped system files

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
A wipe and a factory reset is NOT the same thing :) my guess is you haven't factory reset just wiped system files

Yeah maybe I am off on this. But how do you do a data wipe without doing a factory reset? In CWM recovery they are listed together. wipe data/factory reset

I always use this option when wiping going to new rom and I never lose any pics that I take with the phone. Maybe my stuff is backed up with Google?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yeah maybe I am off on this. But how do you do a data wipe without doing a factory reset? In CWM recovery they are listed together. wipe data/factory reset

I always use this option when wiping going to new rom and I never lose any pics that I take with the phone. Maybe my stuff is backed up with Google?

What he is saying is that if you do the Data Wipe/Factory Reset in CWR it will not erase your sdcard. If you use the setting in Backup & Reset to do a Factory Data Reset or select Factory Data Reset from the stock recovery, it will erase everything on your sdcard. That's just my interpretation of what he posted. YMMV.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
What Bayou said. Doesn't sound like you used CWR, so yes it's gone and gone for good.

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
As I tell all of my users that I service, back it up. Still think your safe ....back it up! And most of all... Back it up!!!!

You can never back up too much!! Some people say it is not cost effective, they are usually the same ones that are complaining, whining and wondering why they lost their data!

Oh and one more thing .... Back it up!!!

OCDroid

Reaction score
If you're signed into google+ there's a chance your pics got uploaded to an album on your profile...good luck!

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Not to hijack but that is why I like removable SD cards. I take it out and copy a snapshot to my HD.

Your data is everything!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Se7enLC

Reaction score
Not to hijack but that is why I like removable SD cards. I take it out and copy a snapshot to my HD.
Your data is everything!

You don't need a removable SD card to back up your data, of course... You just have to remember to do it!

CWR backup to SD card used to be enough, since erasing the SD card wasn't something you could do accidentally. Now that the contents of /sdcard are actually stored in /data, that backup is a lot less permanent!

IN AWE

Reaction score
Question...... does a factory reset delete the files on an EXTERNAL sd card?

Caligula2008

Reaction score
Sorry I didn't get back to you but in cwr you are not doing a "factory reset" just technically a wipe because factory reset formats EVERYTHING whereas in clock work it just wipes what it needs to (everything except /sdcard). So only factory reset if you are turning your phone back in or selling it.

sunnyboy167

Reaction score
Sorry to resurrect an old thread....

I read all of the comments on this thread and I only have one question....if I were to boot into stock recovery on Gnex and select "wipe data/factory reset" would it wipe all content (pics vids etc.) on storage? I'm a little confused cuz i know some say it won't when done via Clockwork but I'm only asking since stock recovery is not exactly the same as Clockwork though they both have similar wipe options. I hope I'm making sense here.