What to wipe to install new ROM?

Mikeybeanz

Reaction score
So I have been unlocked/rooted for some time but am finally getting around to installing my first custom ROM on the nexus. CM9 RC1 just came out so I figured I would give it a go. Now what I did with my Droid (and what most guides say for nexus) is to factory reset and wipe cache (including dalvik). My main concern is everything that is stored on my phone (book, music, etc). With the D1, I stored all that stuff on the sd card...nexus doesn't have one. Will the factory reset wipe all that stuff? Im thinking it would.

I backed up apps/data. Not worried about that. Just stuff that I dragged over to storage on my own.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
So I have been unlocked/rooted for some time but am finally getting around to installing my first custom ROM on the nexus. CM9 RC1 just came out so I figured I would give it a go. Now what I did with my Droid (and what most guides say for nexus) is to factory reset and wipe cache (including dalvik). My main concern is everything that is stored on my phone (book, music, etc). With the D1, I stored all that stuff on the sd card...nexus doesn't have one. Will the factory reset wipe all that stuff? Im thinking it would.

I backed up apps/data. Not worried about that. Just stuff that I dragged over to storage on my own.

The virtual SDcard partition isn't wiped in recovery when you wipe data, even though it is technically in the data partition. So you are alright to factory reset + wiping dalvik cache.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Make a backup of your current ROM just in case with CWM. Clearing the data/cache/dalvik won't erase your music/videos/etc.