DF golfers

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Want to take up golf and what better way than to get some tips from the pros, amateurs, and hacks (the category I'm in).

I'm actually surprised we haven't started a thread for golfers.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So for people who are wanting to get into golf, as far as playing, where should I start?

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Golf course...... lol
DJ will have more info than me but getting a set of clubs fit for your height. Then it's all about learning that very awkward feeling perfect swing.

Perhaps call the local pro shops and see if they have a club pro that offers lessons and how much.

I have found the more uncomfortable the swing feels the closer you are to perfecting it. Lol

Note 4tified

Reactions: cr6

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Like Miller said, get lessons, and I'd suggest to rent clubs from where you take lessons, and #1, get clubs fitted to you, it will make you play much better, the worst thing to do is try to learn on ill fitting clubs.

Don't forget, I'd you hit off the tee and don't cross the red tees(women's) you have to drop trow, it's the rules, sorry...

From my new S5

Reactions: cr6

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Yeah, if you're new to the game start at the driving range and work on your swing. Most decent driving ranges also have a few practice holes where you can also practice your fairway/iron/chip shots, as well, and then work on your putting skills. The last thing you want to do is get out there without any practice under your belt. Especially if you're on a crowded course and you've got people waiting on you.
Investing in a few lessons (as mentioned) with a golf pro will be hugely beneficial as they can help you work on the correct form right off the bat. Starting out with improper form will not only make the game of golf frustrating for you, but frustrating for those you intend to play with.
Good luck & have fun!

dennyjones

Reaction score
I strongly suggest that you find a local pro and take a few lessons. Golf is not something you take up and put down or play once per month and expect to "be decent". It all starts with the setup. If your grip, stance, alignment and ball position are not correct, it becomes almost impossible to hit the ball well. It's the most frustrating game you'll ever play but very rewarding as you see improvement.

Check out a website called "The sand trap" (thesandtrap.com). Very informative and they allow you to freely upload your golf swing for analysis.
Another web base instruction site: Youtube - Shawn Clement.

Good luck

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I strongly suggest that you find a local pro and take a few lessons. Golf is not something you take up and put down or play once per month and expect to "be decent". It all starts with the setup. If your grip, stance, alignment and ball position are not correct, it becomes almost impossible to hit the ball well. It's the most frustrating game you'll ever play but very rewarding as you see improvement.

Check out a website called "The sand trap" (thesandtrap.com). Very informative and they allow you to freely upload your golf swing for analysis.
Another web base instruction site: Youtube - Shawn Clement.

Good luck
Very good info DJ!

Note 4tified

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Learning to play golf is an evolving process; always learning, always perfecting. I was fortunate in that my first teacher was excellent at seeing what I was doing and breaking it down to what I needed to change. I have also had teachers who did nothing for me. If they had been my first experience, I would have given up. Most likely it was me who didn't like their style but it wasn't going to work. So finding that instructor you work well with will be huge. I was also fortunate that there was a huge rural park near me that was almost always vacant, where I could practice what I learned. Finding a driving range with practice putting greens will be top of the list. Something as seemingly insignificant as your golf shoes also make a difference. When you're first going out on the golf course, going with friends that appreciate and enjoy that you're learning the game is also very helpful. I have learned a lot from friends I've played with. And then there are others you want to just say, "shut up!" Be patient with yourself. When you finally succeed at that swing where you're not always driving 150 yards to the right is very rewarding and will keep you coming back. Oh, and keep in mind, sometimes there are bad days on the golf course no matter what you try.

Sent from my ME173X using Tapatalk

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Watch the pros and you will see, one day they are 10 below par, the next day they are headed home because the clubs acted like baseball bats...
The key is to not expect perfection, play because you want to be out in nature with a little challenge, if you expect to perform better each time, and can't allow a bad day, then don't even try.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Oh, and keep in mind, sometimes there are bad days on the golf course no matter what you try.
Or bad "years", as in Tigers case..... poor guy went from being the number one player in the world to struggling to make the cut in many a major golf tournament.
Personally I could care less about his private life....that's HIS business not mine. The point is, he was an amazing player who completely lost his mojo......which proves that golf is a mental game, as well as a physical one.