Developer's Edition, unlocked bootloader, no warranty...

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Last edited:

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
"Unlocking your device and installing your own software might cause the device to stop working, disable important features and functionality, AND EVEN MAKE THE DEVICE UNSAFE TO THE POINT OF CAUSING YOU HARM."

Sounds like they are trying to deter as many people as they can from doing this. Haha

Sent from my XOOM with Jelly Bean!

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yeah, the "causing you harm" comment is a bit over the top, dontchathink!? :blink:

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
No it's not... haven't you seen transformers??? If you unlock your device.. it turns into that little Nokia decepticon... it'll kill you... just you watch!! :D:p:cool:;):blink:

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
94lt1 said:
No it's not... haven't you seen transformers??? If you unlock your device.. it turns into that little Nokia decepticon... it'll kill you... just you watch!! :D:p:cool:;):blink:

Mine mine mine mine mine.....! I'll take a decepticon version! Pleeeeease! :)

Last edited:

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
Mike.757 said:
Mine mine mine mine mine.....! I'll take a decepticon version! Pleeeeease! :)

Only if you will all your possessions to me before you get it. Lol

Sent from my resurrected DROID RAZR with ICS

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the "causing you harm" comment is a bit over the top, dontchathink!? :blink:
I think they mean it could cause stability issues and perhaps the device won't work when you really NEED it to (for example, a situation where you NEED to call 911 and the device decides to reboot instead). It's a "CYA" type statement.

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I think they mean it could cause stability issues and perhaps the device won't work when you really NEED it to (for example, a situation where you NEED to call 911 and the device decides to reboot instead). It's a "CYA" type statement.

Dave, don't get me wrong...I respect you and agree completely with what you are saying. You are historically a voice of reason. I just love those CYA statements at times because they are worded incorrectly IMHO.

Putting it into the context of unlocking and/or installing your own software which can cause it to not be able to dial 911...that can lead to you suffering undue "harm", but the phone itself would not likely cause you "harm". Likewise for calling the phone "unsafe", again is it really an "unsafe" phone if certain features are disabled, or is it a phone that will not operate in an emergency when you need it making you "unsafe" (or less safe), in a situation?

What did we do before we all had instant communication in our pockets? Were we less "safe" because we didn't have instant access to communication in an emergency, or more "safe" because we weren't carrying a phone with a battery that could potentially explode, or because we weren't placing a microwave radiator within centimeters of our brains, or because we wouldn't be texting and driving or walking, etc.? :blink:

Just saying...

Last edited:

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
FoxKat said:
What did we do before we all had instant communication in our pockets? Were we less "safe" because we didn't have instant access to communication in an emergency, or more "safe" because we weren't carrying a phone with a battery that could potentially explode, or because we weren't placing a microwave radiator within centimeters of our brains, or because we wouldn't be texting and driving or walking, etc.? :blink:

Just saying...

Of course we are less safe. More cell phones equals less pay phones. Less payphones equals less pay phone booths. This inherently equals less places for Clark Kent to get out of the reporter garb and into the Superman diggs. You mean you hadn't noticed he's not around as much lately? Geeeezzz, do the math people! :)

rjeatkrconley

Reaction score
bruben7886 said:
Of course we are less safe. More cell phones equals less pay phones. Less payphones equals less pay phone booths. This inherently equals less places for Clark Kent to get out of the reporter garb and into the Superman diggs. You mean you hadn't noticed he's not around as much lately? Geeeezzz, do the math people! :)

Lmao!!!!

RazorbackFan

Reaction score
Dave, don't get me wrong...I respect you and agree completely with what you are saying. You are historically a voice of reason. I just love those CYA statements at times because they are worded incorrectly IMHO.

Putting it into the context of unlocking and/or installing your own software which can cause it to not be able to dial 911...that can lead to you suffering undue "harm", but the phone itself would not likely cause you "harm". Likewise for calling the phone "unsafe", again is it really an "unsafe" phone if certain features are disabled, or is it a phone that will not operate in an emergency when you need it making you "unsafe" (or less safe), in a situation?

Just saying...

That was probably the absolute best-said statement of the year that sums up technology as a whole. Just Awesome!!

lovemyram4x4

Reaction score
I ordered on yesterday. At the time it said they expected to start shipping today, but it went back to saying this week & of course it hasn't shipped yet.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

torch709

Reaction score
I'm new to the thought of rooting/unlocking my phone. In talking with Verizon I'm being told that if I do unlock the phone and not add programming the phone will function just fine just will open it to being more apt to getting a virus, and allow me to remove some of the extra apps that came with the phone. Also was told by Verizon that my phone will still be able to receive other the air updates to jelly bean. Anyone else heard the same by chance?

Last edited:

lovemyram4x4

Reaction score
I'm new to the thought of rooting/unlocking my phone. In talking with Verizon I'm being told that if I do unlock the phone and not add programming the phone will function just fine just will open it to being more apt to getting a virus, and allow me to remove some of the extra apps that came with the phone. Also was told by Verizon that my phone will still be able to receive other the air updates to jelly bean. Anyone else heard the same by chance?

Verizon isn't normally the ones to give you good answer on anything other than what you bill is & they even get that wrong a lot, but that info is actually surprising pretty OK.

In short rooting basically just gives you administrator privileges. By doing this you'll have access to system files allowing you do things you couldn't like uninstall system apps among many other things.

Unlocking bootloader will allow you to flash any ROM you want, although there are work arounds for custom ROMs being ran on q phone with a locked bootloader it still limits what can be done & development. The fact that you can flash anything you want & that it's possible that it could be something that can damage you device is why you lose warranty if you unlock it.

The act of rooting and/or unlocking will not change how anything was working or getting OTA updates, what you do afterwards however can. Deleting or simply leaving preinstalled apps frozen will prevent installing the OTA, in these cases you can just, unfreeze, reinstall, or fast boot back to stock, or with unlocked bootloader you could just flash it.

If you're paying full retail you should just buy the dev edition even if you don't think you'll want/need to unlock the bootloader. If you never unlock it you're will he the same as the retail version with the same warranty, but if someday you find the want/need to unlock it you can.

Mine is out for delivery, my 2nd day shipping has taken 1 week(since Motorola didn't actually ship until Fri) ironically I ordered a HD dock station a couple of days after the phone & car dock with standard shipping & it's also out for deliverly. Since 2nd day shipping was free for the first order I'm not going to complain.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

torch709

Reaction score
I had no clue they Verizon sent me a developer edition till I received the phone. Love the phone I get around ten t to twelve hours out the battery. While working in Alva Oklahoma. now in market for signal booster for my big truck. Hard to get signal most areas around the oil Rigs I'm working on... Think I'm going to wait on unlocking till jelly bean ota is on my phone

Last edited: