Decision

uga81

Reaction score
I am going to have an upgrade and can't decide what phone to go with, the DROID Bionic or the HTC Thunderbolt. I don't want the glitches of one of the first duel core phones, but that phone is awesome. All the help would be great.

Thanks

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
I'm not too familiar with the Bionic, but the Thunderbolt has HTC sense, which a lot of people prefer over motoblur... As far as I know, that's the only real difference.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

Raptor007

Reaction score
I am on the fence between those two, TB will likely be out first and I have looked at what will I be using it for, how long will I actually (I mean really keep it) and will it meet my needs beyond my typical ownership period.

I do prefer HTC hardware but Moto makes good stuff too and if I can get a AOSP ROM for either I would be very happy.

Big differences are the amount and type of memory, TB has Flash ROM, Bionic as DDR RAM (PC quality) TB has 1.3MP FFC vs .3MP FFC. I mean I need someone to actually video chat with in the first place to get any benefit out of it.

I just want a bigger screen, 4G for expanded network use and ability to customize to my liking. Both will do, but one will likely win.

OP
uga81

uga81

Reaction score
If I do get the TB, should I worry about it being out of date soon there after because it only has a 1 Ghz processor, like in not getting updates?

motty69

Reaction score
Hmmm...

One thing that surprises me about the Bionic is that I've seen no mention of DLNA. The Droid 2's (and I think the Droid X) have it but there's been no mention of it on the Bionic. It does have some nice looking HDMI out though.

The Thunderbolt has DLNA and HTC has said they will release a peripheral for this (which would allow my old TV to work with it).

The Bionic has dual core, but Android's not really optimized for it yet.

My last 4 smartphones have been HTC and if I had to pick right now I'd say Thunderbolt, but I don't upgrade till May so the picture should be a lot clearer by then.

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
The bionic will probably have it too, since the X and 2 have it. Motorola probably just thinks its standard so they don't bother mentioning it.

Reaction score
^^ He is correct. The Driod Bionic will have both HDMI output AND DLNA capability. I was wondering that myself too and saw it yesterday on a website comparing the Bionic vs. iPhone vs. Thunderbolt that someone had posted in another thread on here.

Bateluer

Reaction score
I'm not too familiar with the Bionic, but the Thunderbolt has HTC sense, which a lot of people prefer over motoblur... As far as I know, that's the only real difference.

Bionic is a dual core Tegra 2, Thunderbolt is a single core Snapdragon. Bionic has a 4.3in 960x540 qHD screen, Thunderbolt has only has a 800x480 resolution screen. You already pointed out the MotoBlur vs Sense. Pretty sure both of those shortcomings will be remedied before too long though.