Debain/ubuntu anyone?

gltechguy

Reaction score
Hi all im new to the droid world and smart phones in general. I have been using linux for sometime now and LOVE it. I want to run it on my phone. is this possible with the droid 3 yet? what kernel would support loop device for this model? anyone have a tutorial/guide? Thanks for any help.

edw00rd

Reaction score
Hi all im new to the droid world and smart phones in general. I have been using linux for sometime now and LOVE it. I want to run it on my phone. is this possible with the droid 3 yet? what kernel would support loop device for this model? anyone have a tutorial/guide? Thanks for any help.

What you are revering to is whether or not ur phone supports loopback devices. Which would allow you to boot an ARM release of Ubuntu/Debian/Backtrack... I have been looking for the same thing for the bionic. No luck yet and my original attempt to install ubuntu resulted in a soft bricking of my bionic. I was able to get my OG DROID 1to boot Ubuntu no sweat.... google booting linux on android. DO NOT ATTEMPT to follow any tutorials that are not for your device! Good luck and let us know if you are successful!

OP
G

gltechguy

Reaction score
Bummer. So its the hardware of the D3 not the Rom that allows or denies the loopback?

GoTeamScotch

Reaction score
I also am curious about this topic. I remember booting ubuntu on my Droid 1 back in the day. It didn't run all that great, but a dual core phone overclocked by 20% might do a little better. So does a rom need to come out that will support this then? How does this work?

DROID 3 - Steel Droid 3

DaSnOoTeRKiNG

Reaction score
bt5

dancedroid snap20120118_154904-picsay.jpg

OP
G

gltechguy

Reaction score
How? Teach master.....

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

DaSnOoTeRKiNG

Reaction score
Ok bud I'm working on uploading the file set, when I doI will also post a howto............ Just looking for the time unfortunately

*****Cannot find a file host if you know of one let me know that is the only thing stopping me from sharing*******

Sheffy007

Reaction score
Ok bud I'm working on uploading the file set, when I doI will also post a howto............ Just looking for the time unfortunately

*****Cannot find a file host if you know of one let me know that is the only thing stopping me from sharing*******

i'm interested in this... and ^mediafire might be a good site.

DaSnOoTeRKiNG

Reaction score
Unfortunately mediafire has a 200mb limit and my dropbox is full .... the image file is 3.6....
gb there is a solution but it maybe frowned upon

buckmarble

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Unfortunately mediafire has a 200mb limit and my dropbox is full .... the image file is 3.6....
gb there is a solution but it maybe frowned upon

Minus has a 10 gig cap I believe

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

DaSnOoTeRKiNG

Reaction score
err i already signed up for some ghey azz cx.com which had a 10gb file limit but doesnt allow folders to be uploaded even if zipped......but ill check it out

davros

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Is it backtrack or Ubuntu? Granted they are the same base. And how is possible with locked down bootloader and kernel. I know backtrack runs everything off a Usb stick. So im guessing the sdcard?

DaSnOoTeRKiNG

Reaction score
Ok

Let me start by saying I have the Droid 3 on system version 5.6.890.XT862 and it is rooted, I will also assume you are on the same if not PM and Ill point you toward some links. (If you are using Hashcode's Safestrap you will need to have that disabled) As this is just a remote hack it only runs linux overtop your android system.

Prerequisites:
1) Linux files: linux.zip
2) Terminal Emulator
3) a VNC viewing client

First you'll need to grab this file http://min.us/mrokyPPW4 and extract linux.zip to your SDcard, you should now have a folder name LINUX with 5 files inside...

Next open up your Terminal Emulator and navigate to your sdcard and then to the folder of files you just extracted
(i.e cd sdcard/linux)

Once inside of the linux folder you'll first gain root permission by typing "su" in the terminal

Next you will start the linux installer by running the linux script with the command "sh linux"

If all works you should boot into a CUI version of linux

Now you will want to update Linux by running the command "apt-get update" or you can even upgrade to a newer distro using "apt-get upgrade"

Once you actually update from the linux repos its best to create a new user, as we are still logged in under root, so "adduser" from command.

Unfortunately thus far everytime I have had to manually add myself to the /etc/sudoers file by using the command "visudo" still logged in as root...find the line that looks like "root ALL=(ALL) ALL" and add your user under that line "user ALL=(ALL) ALL"

Next login to your user "login user" and type "sudo vncserver" this should create a new desktop "X" (localhost: "n") which we will use our vncviewer to access... (side note this will have to be done each time until you actually lock this connection)

Open up the vncviewer you dl on the phone and setup a new connection at "localhost::590n" sub n for the output of above step..... and there you have it

:icon_ devil: Cheers mate your running linux !!!!!!!! :icon_ devil:

I made a little video showing it running on the device [video=youtube;u8rmK6chauc]http://youtu.be/u8rmK6chauc"]youtu.be/u8rmK6chauc[/video] , keep in mind it still insnt completely setup and I have multiple processes running including screencapture..... but anyway

DaSnOoTeRKiNG

Reaction score
can anyone confirm or deny that their device is also capable............if not ill i look more into what i changed

OP
G

gltechguy

Reaction score
Would like to try but the Zip file wont download.