Debain/ubuntu anyone?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by gltechguy, Nov 18, 2011.

1. DaSnOoTeRKiNG

DaSnOoTeRKiNG Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Ok

Let me start by saying I have the Droid 3 on system version 5.6.890.XT862 and it is rooted, I will also assume you are on the same if not PM and Ill point you toward some links. (If you are using Hashcode's Safestrap you will need to have that disabled) As this is just a remote hack it only runs linux overtop your android system.

Prerequisites:
    1) Linux files: linux.zip
    2) Terminal Emulator
    3) a VNC viewing client

First you'll need to grab this file http://min.us/mrokyPPW4 and extract linux.zip to your SDcard, you should now have a folder name LINUX with 5 files inside...

Next open up your Terminal Emulator and navigate to your sdcard and then to the folder of files you just extracted
    (i.e cd sdcard/linux)

Once inside of the linux folder you'll first gain root permission by typing "su" in the terminal

Next you will start the linux installer by running the linux script with the command "sh linux"

If all works you should boot into a CUI version of linux

Now you will want to update Linux by running the command "apt-get update" or you can even upgrade to a newer distro using "apt-get upgrade"

Once you actually update from the linux repos its best to create a new user, as we are still logged in under root, so "adduser" from command.

Unfortunately thus far everytime I have had to manually add myself to the /etc/sudoers file by using the command "visudo" still logged in as root...find the line that looks like "root ALL=(ALL) ALL" and add your user under that line "user ALL=(ALL) ALL"

Next login to your user "login user" and type "sudo vncserver" this should create a new desktop "X" (localhost: "n") which we will use our vncviewer to access... (side note this will have to be done each time until you actually lock this connection)

Open up the vncviewer you dl on the phone and setup a new connection at "localhost::590n" sub n for the output of above step..... and there you have it

:icon_ devil: Cheers mate your running linux !!!!!!!! :icon_ devil:

I made a little video showing it running on the device , keep in mind it still insnt completely setup and I have multiple processes running including screencapture..... but anyway

2. DaSnOoTeRKiNG

DaSnOoTeRKiNG Member

Ratings:
    +1
    can anyone confirm or deny that their device is also capable............if not ill i look more into what i changed

3. gltechguy

gltechguy New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Would like to try but the Zip file wont download.

4. Endoroid

Endoroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had ubuntu running on mine. I dl'd an app from market that essentially had the same steps as this thread. It took a long time to boot and was rather sluggish. But it did work

Sent from my rooted xt860

Search tags for this page
droid 3 kernel with loop support
droid 3 loop device
kernel that supports loop devices

linux on og droid

loop device
og droid ubuntu
reformat og droid with linux
support loopdevice phone model
ubuntu droid 3

ubuntu on og droid