Dealing with Verizon...

gemro311

Reaction score
The person I dealt with said I could upgrade my wifes phone (who is eligible for the upgrade) then switch phone numbers with mine .

arty2hottie

Reaction score
I just talked to customer service 2 hours ago about V.I.P. She told me exactly what garrett said. You have to be on a 79.99/month or higher plan for 6 consecutive months with no late fees. She did confirm however that it would expire on Feb 2010. I asked her if they would start any different programs to replace vip and she didnt know.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just talked to customer service 2 hours ago about V.I.P. She told me exactly what garrett said. You have to be on a 79.99/month or higher plan for 6 consecutive months with no late fees. She did confirm however that it would expire on Feb 2010. I asked her if they would start any different programs to replace vip and she didnt know.
I can confirm without a doubt, the VIP program is ending positively for sure in February 2010, and at this time there are no plans to replace it with anything else.

daddyd302

Reaction score
since your a long time customer you may want to see if your elegible for the VIP program. Heres the login page.

https://store.verizonwireless.com/nevip/default.aspx

with this you can upgrade every year... actually once you hit 10 months your elegible for an upgrade. 30% off accessories no activation fee's on new phones and other discounts too. Its nice to be able to switch phones every year and not have to pay the early upgrade charges.

heres some of the info on it...

* A FREE one-time Bonus Minutes Credit of up to 500 minutes. With our
newest program benefit, there's never been a better time to be a VIP.
If you happen to exceed your allowance minutes, just call us for a
bill adjustment. It's that easy! We'll issue you a one-time credit of
up to 500 minutes. We'll then do a complimentary Price Plan Analysis
to ensure you're on the right calling plan for your needs.

* Save on a new phone every year. The hottest phones The latest
technology. Now you can take advantage of discounted phone prices
earlier than before after the 12th month of a 2 year Customer
Agreement with a 2 year renewal. Refresh your phone today and get FREE
shipping. Enjoy the savings. That's what being a VIP is all about. One
phone upgrade permitted per year with a 2 year renewal. Must complete
12 full months of contract to become eligible for the annual upgrade.
$20 upgrade processing fee will be waived for eligible VIP mobile
telephone numbers.

* 25% off phone accessories, plus FREE shipping.
Whatever you do and wherever you go, we have specially designed
accessories to help enhance your wireless experience. From fashionable
phone cases, extra batteries and car chargers, to convenient
hands-free headsets, including Bluetooth® wireless technology, you now
have access to a 25% discount anytime you want it.
Excludes Accessory Bundles, Essential Bundles, RAZRWire Bluetooth
Eyewear, gift cards and Prepay cards.

* FREE phone book transfer. We know how important the names and
numbers you store in your phone are. That's why, when you buy a new
phone we'll transfer your contact list from your old phone to your new
one a $ 10 value! It will save you time and money, and keep you
connected with friends, family and associates. Phone book transfer
performed at most Verizon Wireless Communications Stores.

* FREE activation when you add lines. As a VIP member, you can add
additional lines to your existing account without paying any
activation charges — save up to $35 on each line! So, extend the
invitation to your family members. They'll be glad you did.
Subject to 1 or 2 year Customer Agreement and Calling Plan per line;
up to $175 early termination fee per line, other charges and
restrictions may apply.

How do you get into the VIP program? How much do you have to spend?

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

yeah it sucks.... but in all honesty i dont use it very often as my discount though my girls work is better then the VIP discount. With her work discount we get 24% off the bill and 25% off phones and accesories. Plus her work gives her 75 dollars per month extra on her paychecks to cover her cellphone bill since she uses it for work.

the only thing thats gonna change for me is the upgrade every 12 months.
i will still be able to do that but ill have to pay a 20 dollar early upgrade fee and loose my NE2 discount.

arty2hottie

Reaction score
garrett do you know if your work discounts go toward phone bill and a phone? My wife's work gives a 17% discount and when I asked customer service about it they said it only goes toward the primary's voice plan. It might be different depending on the business I guess.

jmacal83

Reaction score
Try calling Verizon and threaten to leave to T-Mobile for the nexus1.. lol

Yep that would work....my friend did that got his 2 year unlocked and upgraded to droid...his 2yr contract was up may of this year.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
garrett do you know if your work discounts go toward phone bill and a phone? My wife's work gives a 17% discount and when I asked customer service about it they said it only goes toward the primary's voice plan. It might be different depending on the business I guess.

as far as i know it goes towards the entire bill...

She works for Fidelity Investments. Fidelity has something like 20k phones with verizon from what i understand.

xjman349

Reaction score
VIP program is going away just as a heads up. It goes bye bye 2/28/2010. Sadness I know. I will be honest I think a new program is coming. I can neither confirm or deny :)

heavyMGS

Reaction score

She works for Fidelity Investments. Fidelity has something like 20k phones with verizon from what i understand.

No, discounts only go towards lines that are $34.99 or higher. So if you have a Family Share plan your Secondary lines are $9.99 or $19.99 if they are Connect/Premium Secondary lines so the discount does not count towards those lines.

Also, a lot of discounts have a data discount as well, this data discount only goes towards the Primary line if the Primary has a data package. If a Secondary line has a data package, it does not get the data discount.

Questions?

GenkiElite

Reaction score
I'll give you a little advice. I work in a VZW store. We have people asking and complaining about their upgrade not being soon enough all day. What you need is incentive for them to upgrade you. We get paid on data we sell, so if you're going from a BB to a Droid ther is no incentive for us. Buuut, if another line on your acct (assuming you have more than one) has a basic phone and wants a PDA we (the manager) will be more likely to want to help you with your upgrade. After that you can simply go online and switch your ESN or call care and have them do it. Dont have them do it in the store or that's the last bit of help you'll get (we keep notes on your acct about this stuff). Or just call care and be nice. If someone tells me the're gonna leave if I dont do (insert favor) I and most reps just put up a wall and say see ya. Nothing personal but thats how retail is. You catch more flies with sugar:heart:

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

No, discounts only go towards lines that are $34.99 or higher. So if you have a Family Share plan your Secondary lines are $9.99 or $19.99 if they are Connect/Premium Secondary lines so the discount does not count towards those lines.

Also, a lot of discounts have a data discount as well, this data discount only goes towards the Primary line if the Primary has a data package. If a Secondary line has a data package, it does not get the data discount.

Questions?

i just looked at my bill online.... when i look at the charges by line and then look at monthly access charges there is the 24% - Feature Discount 12/20 - 01/19 discount listed on both lines.

it does look like the discount on the secondary is only applied to the data plan. There wont be much more if it applies to the line because thats only 9.99.

heavyMGS

Reaction score

Questions?

i just looked at my bill online.... when i look at the charges by line and then look at monthly access charges there is the 24% - Feature Discount 12/20 - 01/19 discount listed on both lines.

it does look like the discount on the secondary is only applied to the data plan. There wont be much more if it applies to the line because thats only 9.99.

I would call Customer Care to confirm the Data Feature discount on both lines because moving forward that may not be the case. You should have gotten a letter in the mail involving the secondary line data discount if anything had changed. You may have a type of discount that does include data on all lines BUT...I would confirm that with Customer Care just to be sure.

Please be calm and understanding with the REPS, they are just doing their job. :)