Dead...after 3 months.

OP
E

EVIL_CLAW

Reaction score
...but you seem like one of those people who wants to have a bad experience so they go in thinking it'll be bad.

Wrong. There seems to be alot of angry posters on here today. I went in miffed that my phone suddenly quit working. I didn't expect what transpired when I went in. I now know what to expect or what not to expect. Yeah, I know there are faulty units, wasn't born yesterday, and was precisely why I went in to get a replacement. I, too, have built many a PC so yeah I now about hardware failure.
AND lets be clear, I don't hate Verizon employees as you seem to, I don't know them.

OP
E

EVIL_CLAW

Reaction score
If you bought it at Best Buy, you should've tried returning it there. They at least would've likely given you a loaner. I know that's no help now, but just for future reference...

Thought about. I am a silver member there, I really couldn't tell you if that extended my return time but they told me up front 14 days to return for BNIB. I was well beyond that and didn't opt for the 2yr Black tie warranty for additional $$$. That would have allowed me to walk in and get a BNIB on the spot any time within the 2 yrs. I went with the VZ warranty instead as most computers will, statistically, break down within the first year if they are going to break down at all. The BB was little further down the road and stopped at the VZ store, first, to see if I could get it resolved by them.
As for the loaner, if it was more than the 2-3 days, I would have argued a little more to get the loaner, but really, I can live without a phone for that long.

Reaction score
Experience at Verizon stores obviously differs from place to place. I personally have never had a single bad experience at a true version store. I don't know about those that had bad experiences but I have noticed a difference between the Verizon stores that are not run by Verizon and are just authorized dealers and the corporate stores that are owned and run by Verizon. There are several authorized Verizon stores within 10 minute of my house but I always drive the 30 minutes to the nearest Verizon corporate store. The customer service there is always top notch. They even call me a day or two later to make sure everything is ok and to make sure I am not having any more issues.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk

Insidious

Reaction score
The store experience is usually good for me, but there's always those few employees where I have to bite my tongue when they try to sell someone a crappy phone.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

slider112

Reaction score
Based on my personal experience I've found store "quality" is definitely on a store by store basis. I have two VZW corporate stores within 30 min of me and the difference between the two is night and day. Absolutely top notch customer service and very accommodating at one and nothing but headaches, arrogance and rudeness at the other. Unfortunately the better one is further away, but that's the only one that I'll go to anymore... I refuse to go anywhere near the "bad" one. Amazing that there can be such a disparity between what is essentially the same store.

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
I'm trying to figure out how so many people took the OPs comments and conspiracy theories (really???) or ranting. He simply posted an experience and I took it as he was commenting on the dumb setup at the VZW store. I gotta say I agree with him that the kiosk thing is dumb. It's no different when you call CS anywhere else, like DirecTV or a credit card company and input all your info to a voice automated operator only to have to repeat it again with the CS rep because they don't have access to the data. What?!?
I however did not see the OP as negative as some did apparently. Some felt the need to defend the phone and he never once trashed the phone. So maybe people need to re-read the OP again before jumping down his throat?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
I've had great experiences with Verizon and I've had stupidly ridiculous ones too. I usually call in most of the time and order online. Usually only go to the store if I'm buying the actual phone. Within like one minute of calling in I can figure out how well or how badly the call is going to go, based on their attitude and if they listen to me when I try to explain my situation. Usually the most difficult calls I've had are because I'm on my father's account, so they need his okay before they do ANYTHING, even tracking an order that I placed with MY OWN credit card, and is in no way associated with a plan change (like ordering a new charger or battery). They also can't issue a refund to my credit card without his permission, which is just stupid, but I digress.

I also hate their kiosk crap, especially the fact that, like you said, you have to give your number like 4 times before you can get actual help. I've noticed the employees are generally amicable, but do see a lot of them just standing around when there are lots of names in the kiosk queue. Most of the time the customers just need a point of sale to make a purchase and don't need to go through the rigamarole of pulling up account information. Blah.

Also, I'm pretty sure by 'new' the guy meant they'll send you a 'certified like new replacement'. I'm curious - was the replacement phone brand new, or was it a CLNR? If you're outside the 14 day return window but under warranty that's what you get. Maybe you're the exception to the standard? It irks me that they give you a CLNR instead of a brand new phone if you have problems. If you have any other product, like, say, a toaster, and it breaks under warranty you usually get a brand new toaster. I wouldn't even mind extending my contract out a bit if I got a brand new phone instead of somebody's refurbished one.

I do like their actual service, though. Verizon far and above out performs AT&T, Sprint, or TMobile in my area. Plus, I got in under the unlimited plan, so unless I'm on 3G and go over like 2GB and the cell tower is congested I don't have to worry about slow speeds. I leave 4G on all the time though, and they don't throttle that at all, so I'm set. For me, the really good cell service outweighs any of the customer service shortcomings, since I don't usually have problems. I've never had to have a phone replaced, and I've gotten phones from both Motorola, HTC, and Samsung.

Sorry for the long winded post :p

Last edited:
OP
E

EVIL_CLAW

Reaction score
I've had great experiences with Verizon and I've had stupidly ridiculous ones too. I usually call in most of the time and order online. Usually only go to the store if I'm buying the actual phone. Within like one minute of calling in I can figure out how well or how badly the call is going to go, based on their attitude and if they listen to me when I try to explain my situation. Usually the most difficult calls I've had are because I'm on my father's account, so they need his okay before they do ANYTHING, even tracking an order that I placed with MY OWN credit card, and is in no way associated with a plan change (like ordering a new charger or battery). They also can't issue a refund to my credit card without his permission, which is just stupid, but I digress.

I also hate their kiosk crap, especially the fact that, like you said, you have to give your number like 4 times before you can get actual help. I've noticed the employees are generally amicable, but do see a lot of them just standing around when there are lots of names in the kiosk queue. Most of the time the customers just need a point of sale to make a purchase and don't need to go through the rigamarole of pulling up account information. Blah.

Also, I'm pretty sure by 'new' the guy meant they'll send you a 'certified like new replacement'. I'm curious - was the replacement phone brand new, or was it a CLNR? If you're outside the 14 day return window but under warranty that's what you get. Maybe you're the exception to the standard? It irks me that they give you a CLNR instead of a brand new phone if you have problems. If you have any other product, like, say, a toaster, and it breaks under warranty you usually get a brand new toaster. I wouldn't even mind extending my contract out a bit if I got a brand new phone instead of somebody's refurbished one.

I do like their actual service, though. Verizon far and above out performs AT&T, Sprint, or TMobile in my area. Plus, I got in under the unlimited plan, so unless I'm on 3G and go over like 2GB and the cell tower is congested I don't have to worry about slow speeds. I leave 4G on all the time though, and they don't throttle that at all, so I'm set. For me, the really good cell service outweighs any of the customer service shortcomings, since I don't usually have problems. I've never had to have a phone replaced, and I've gotten phones from both Motorola, HTC, and Samsung.

Sorry for the long winded post :p

Got my new phone last night. And by new, I mean new to me, it is a CLNR. It seems to be a little more responsive than my original. The version of ICS is 4.0.2 although I swear I had 4.0.3 on my old one. The one thing I did notice is that it seemed to have trouble scanning barcodes (took longer than usual to recognize) but perhaps that will work itself out. Since I was unable to turn on old phone to wipe info on it before sending back, I am concerned about the info on my old phone, (passwords and such) and how they take care of that. I never used it to access financial info or pay bills but my gmail account is on there of course. Perhaps I need to change some passwords. The only thing I lost was about 16gbs of music and some pictures. The music I have copies of and the pictures weren't that important.
I will be using on walk this afternoon to check the gps, although I had no problem with my old one. I'll update this post if anything out of the ordinary crops up with phone.

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
Got my new phone last night. And by new, I mean new to me, it is a CLNR. It seems to be a little more responsive than my original. The version of ICS is 4.0.2 although I swear I had 4.0.3 on my old one. The one thing I did notice is that it seemed to have trouble scanning barcodes (took longer than usual to recognize) but perhaps that will work itself out. Since I was unable to turn on old phone to wipe info on it before sending back, I am concerned about the info on my old phone, (passwords and such) and how they take care of that. I never used it to access financial info or pay bills but my gmail account is on there of course. Perhaps I need to change some passwords. The only thing I lost was about 16gbs of music and some pictures. The music I have copies of and the pictures weren't that important.
I will be using on walk this afternoon to check the gps, although I had no problem with my old one. I'll update this post if anything out of the ordinary crops up with phone.

Glad you're seemingly pleased with the CLNR. As far as the passwords, etc. you probably only need to change your passwords if you're worried someone dishonest will be working on your phone to wipe it and refurb for someone else to use, and are worried that the employee will get your phone running and read your emails. I've had to send for a few CLNRs for some users at work and I've never gotten one that hadn't been wiped completely.

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
This is exactly how I felt word for word. Don't know what the guy with conspiracy theories was trying do or the "Ha ha" meant from the other guy.:icon_rolleyes:

The "Ha ha" meant nothing. It's just habit for me to add that at the end of sentences, even if they may not belong. :p Sorry if you thought I was being condescending or something! I genuinely hope your next Nexus gives you a better experience!

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wrong. There seems to be alot of angry posters on here today. I went in miffed that my phone suddenly quit working. I didn't expect what transpired when I went in. I now know what to expect or what not to expect. Yeah, I know there are faulty units, wasn't born yesterday, and was precisely why I went in to get a replacement. I, too, have built many a PC so yeah I now about hardware failure.
AND lets be clear, I don't hate Verizon employees as you seem to, I don't know them.

Oddly enough you said this in your OP: "First off, I hate the smug employees..."

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
well he did specify the smug ones :biggrin:

smug_1898757c.jpg

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not exactly. He just specified he thought the employees were smug, meaning he thought they were all smug.

I don't disagree, was just trying to insert a little light humor :)

Reaction score
I thought I would share this.At the end of January I decided to search for a new phone. Having a Nexus One on AT&T, I was looking for something on Verizon as that would have better reception in my office. As for the Nexus One, it was a great phone, but when the decision not to upgrade it, by HTC/Google, to ICS and basically no further support was its downfall. Since the Google branded phones get updates first I decided to get the Galaxy Nexus.

As soon as I got it, it updated to ICS and I have been updated within a day or two of every update. It is fast and reception in my office was fair as I didn't have any with AT&T. I also tether my laptop to it as well and does fine.
This past Saturday, I was looking at an app on my phone and it just shuts off. Hmmm...I try to turn it back on nothing. I hold the button for what seems like a minute. Nothing. So I go plug it in thinking to myself, "didn't see the low battery indicator on but...". Nothing. Yanked the battery out, so on and so forth, nada. So off to Verizon I went.

First off, I hate the smug employees. I walk into the store and an employee asks me if he can assist me. I start talking and he interrupts me to say "oh you have to sign in over at the kiosk." What? So over I go, and start entering in the info and let me tell you something, want to get an attitude? Just interrupt somebody in mid sentence after you asked to help him, then send that person to a computer terminal that has the worst touch screen interface and have them try to type in info. Priceless. I had bought this at Best Buy, so I was not aware of the Verizon store model.

Finally they call my name, don't know why it took so long, there was like 10 people just standing around doing nothing. Did they have to draw straws or something?:icon_eek:
So this guy brings me over to the counter and then....asks for my phone number. I say "Umm...just spent 5 minutes over at that crappy terminal over there putting that info in there. You should already have that info." He says well its not connected to this network. I see already how this is going to turn out. :huh:
So...after telling him about my phone woes, he takes it, disappears and comes back 5-10 minutes later and says "yup ...its dead". Its covered under warranty and Vz will send you a new phone. Won't get it till Tuesday. We don't have any spare phones to lend you in the mean time. Here's your confirmation number, bye.:blink:

So, after 3 months into a 2 year contract, my GN bit the dust. I can hardly wait for the next 21 months. I actually have no real complaints about the service, I'm just hoping that the next phone will last me through the contract and that I never have to go into another Verizon store again for that...experience.:icon_rolleyes:
I should get my new phone this afternoon.

View attachment 49085