D2 wipes whatever it wants

Big Ry

Reaction score
I've been having issues recently with my D2 on liberty (videos wont play, phone wont stay on vibrate). I dont know if its hardware or software related, so I wanted to start fresh to find out. I went into CW, cleared data/cache 2x. When I rebooted, I had no market, and no bootstrap...so yeah, i have no way to get anything back. I tried installing the vending.apk thats linked here in the deodexed update.zip:

TBH & MyDroidWorld Present: Droid 2 (2.3.20) Triple Threat

After FCing 10 times, it finally opened, but it refuses to install anything.

I'm totally at a loss here. I was hoping to reinstall liberty fresh to see if it remedied the problem; then if not, I planned to SBF back to stock and see if THAT helped.

I really didnt want to have to SBF, because I have to wake up early to teach my first labs on campus lol.

WTF is my D2 doing? Ive wiped before and still had bootstrap...I just dont get it.

edit: wow, right after i submitted this, it miraculously booted in CW by itself...strange lol Here goes a fresh Liberty install; wish me luck.

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
Well, after it installed, i tried a couple videos under the "videos" app, they worked. Then i tried them via the gallery app...they didnt work. None worked. I went back to "videos" and the same vids now dont work. I dont get this!!!!!!!!! Im getting pissed though!!!!!!!!!!

trook

Reaction score
I think you should backup all your contacts, get appsaver and save bootstrap, and sbf anyways, you've had nothing but problems with videos, I remember. None of us have video issues and it seems to happen to you no matter what setup your running. Take an extra 10 minutes (if you have an extra 10 minutes) and sbf, re download the rom you want, start fresh. Btw, what format are the videos your trying to play?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You should SBF before flashing any ROM.

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
I think you should backup all your contacts, get appsaver and save bootstrap, and sbf anyways, you've had nothing but problems with videos, I remember. None of us have video issues and it seems to happen to you no matter what setup your running. Take an extra 10 minutes (if you have an extra 10 minutes) and sbf, re download the rom you want, start fresh. Btw, what format are the videos your trying to play?

the videos are various formats, but they all worked prior to rooting. i formatted, wiped, and reinstalled liberty AGAIN last night. now my videos work...but i have no lock screen, no wallpapers, no system media, and my home and camera button dont work.

im definitely SBFing later tonight. I already downloaded the files. Are these the most up to date ones though? The 2.3.20 i got has the old market. also, is RSD lite 4.9 the most recent?

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score

ive always heard conflicting views on this. some say "always", some say "not necessary". I never SBFed on my D1 and had no major issues flashing various ROMs. It wasnt until my D2 that I started having all these problems. But then again, I flashed Fission as my very first ROM from stock, and I had the video issue with that ROM as well (although it wasnt quite as bad). SO maybe I just have a crappy D2. It was a CLNR after all...

phrozen087

Reaction score

ive always heard conflicting views on this. some say "always", some say "not necessary". I never SBFed on my D1 and had no major issues flashing various ROMs. It wasnt until my D2 that I started having all these problems. But then again, I flashed Fission as my very first ROM from stock, and I had the video issue with that ROM as well (although it wasnt quite as bad). SO maybe I just have a crappy D2. It was a CLNR after all...

I normally don't ever SBF between roms. That said, back before I started using gummyjar I was having a lot of issues with playback of audio and video and an SBF cleaned it up. The problem never came back and while I am glad its gone, I still sometimes wonder what started it. I doubt you have a bad D2, it just seems that sometimes this phone needs a good sbf!

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
Im trying to SBF now, but my device wont show in RSD lite. PC mode & USB debug are on. Do I need to change the DeviceID settings in RSD?

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
edit: figured it out. back to stock now. gonna reflash liberty. if it doesnt work this time, im exchanging this POS.

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
I got a nice little surprise...Liberty 1.5 was just released. I flashed it and everything seems to be OK now. It'll take some time to find out if the vibrate issue is still going on. Videos work now, hopefully they continue to.

On a side note, anyone know how to get rid of the 2 galleries in Liberty (when you install a new one). I dont like the old style (D1) gallery that comes with liberty, so I installed the 2D blur gallery listed in the liberty toolbox. But whenever you install another gallery, it just appears as another app. So now I have 2 galleries in my app drawer. If I try to remove it, the list of apps only shows 1 gallery :/

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
Well after a couple days of things running smoothly, I'm back to my videos not working...

aefc767e-ba45-8176.jpg

And I'm not sure if I mentioned this before, but youtube videos also don't play. It gives a slightly different error message on youtube though.

I've had it with this BS

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

trook

Reaction score
Wow, I'm really sorry to hear that your videos aren't playing again, have you tried all video players? Of course you have, what a dumb question. Wtf is the problem I wonder? Anyways, you can remove the gallery through the scripts in terminal emulator on liberty, it will prompt you with instructions when you open it but it sounds like your moving on to stock or another phone.

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
Wow, I'm really sorry to hear that your videos aren't playing again, have you tried all video players? Of course you have, what a dumb question. Wtf is the problem I wonder? Anyways, you can remove the gallery through the scripts in terminal emulator on liberty, it will prompt you with instructions when you open it but it sounds like your moving on to stock or another phone.

Yes, Ive tried probably 4-5 other players. When the stock player isnt working, no other player will work. When the stock player IS working, the other players work fine. The same goes for youtube. The only videos that work when no others will is embedded flash videos in websites.

I feel like theres nothing left for it to be except the hardware. ill try SBFing to stock as a last resort. But if that doesnt work, and I doubt it will, this D2 is going back to VZW.