D1 2 d2

Reaction score
Well it seems as though they are sending me a Droid 2 to replace my Droid 1 after going through about 3-4 of those.

So what am I to expect? Am I really getting a better phone? Where can I find a comparisons page if anyone knows.

I never do anything with Roms, I root only for wireless tether and OC, will I still be able to OC and have Wireless tether... Can I even root the D2?

harrellj

Reaction score
The D2 is rootable, and you can run custom ROMS, but with using a bootstrap due to the locked bootloader. As a result, I don't think you can OC the kernel just yet, but the D2 has a faster processor stock. You'll also have more internal memory. Other than that, your D1 docks should still work (from what people have said when the D2 came out), but you'll need a new case due to the redesign. The keyboard's supposed to be better on the D2 as well. Otherwise, I think they're fairly close to being the same beast.

OP
steveninspokane
Reaction score
So all I am looking at is
a locked bootloader
Faster CPU
More internal Mem.
I prefer my Droid nakked because the cases all look to bulky.

How about talking quality, will the D2 be more clearer than the D1?

harrellj

Reaction score
Having never used a D2, I can't say. I'd suggest poking some of the people in the D2 section and seeing their opinions. You're not the first person I've see on here get a D2 as a replacement for a malfunctioning D1.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Spaz should be by momentarily..

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums app (free in market)

leakim13

Reaction score
I got my D2 the same way you are getting yours.

The only thing I miss is how configurable the droid 1 was the droid2 is a lot less so. but it's 2 times as fast and a lot more memory... Im overclocked at 1.3 and running quads in the mid to upper 2000s. Blur is something that will be new to you also some people hate it but I love the organization of all messages. Swype is sweet. Keyboard is much better and the screen seems higher quality to me also. If you don't go nuts with roms and themes etc which u say you don't, you should be doing backflips right now because configurability is the only thing the D1 does better than the D2.

Sent from the great north woods

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Will I do? Yes you can over clock but you'll be using an app by JRummy You should be able to tether, I've never done so myself. Unfortunately you will have 8gb of memory on the phone and 8gb SD card. Don't shoot the messenger. It will come ready with 2.2 installed, you may have 2 updates waiting for you.

Since I paid for my D2 I took my 16gb SD card out of my D1. The updates work well accept for a bug on the battery manager which causes it to fc. That comes and goes.

Anything else?

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Will I do? Yes you can over clock but you'll be using an app by JRummy You should be able to tether, I've never done so myself. Unfortunately you will have 8gb of memory on the phone and 8gb SD card. Don't shoot the messenger. It will come ready with 2.2 installed, you may have 2 updates waiting for you.

Since I paid for my D2 I took my 16gb SD card out of my D1. The updates work well accept for a bug on the battery manager which causes it to fc. That comes and goes.

Anything else?

Since you asked anything else, I want to know if you have that bird trained to pirate a guy named "Bill?" I bet bill is rich!

Crf450r420

Reaction score
You get some useless apps like VZ Navigator (not sure if it's free) and Backup Assistant. Don't setup the Backup Assistant unless you want more work and extra issues.

The voice commands take for ever to load. It takes me up to 2 min to call someone with my BT headset.

For some very stupid and annoying reason every time you back out of a contact you get put back to the top of the contacts list, so if you are scrolling down and accidentally view a contact. When you go back, you will be at the top of the list again. Very annoying to me.

Not sure if the camera has zoom, but I can tell you it's harder to find if it does. My girlfriend was in a calendar shoot today and I couldn't zoom in for the group shot of the girls.

When you link and account like Facebook, you can't choose what will sync.

Those are the things I've ran into. You have a built in 3G hotspot. I haven't tried it yet.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score

Anything else?

I did the swap too when I got my d2 in the mail. It replaced the d1 just like many on here

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
steveninspokane
Reaction score

Anything else?

I did the swap too when I got my d2 in the mail. It replaced the d1 just like many on here

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Are you happier with it than the D1?