Current BlackBerry owner, considering DROID

Reaction score
I have been notified that if I extend my contract w/ VZW that I am eligible to receive a Droid 1 for free. I've been doing some reading on the device, and am giving this serious consideration. I currently use a BlackBerry Storm 2. I love the phone, and really don't have any complaints, but on the other hand, BB is the only brand smartphone I've used (except an oldschool palm, but I'll leave that one alone). The only thing I can think of that I would miss is blackberry messenger. I've toyed around with a few Droid 1's in the VZW store, but not enough to decide if I like it or not.. I figure worst case scenario, if I don't like it, I can re-activate my BB..

I am curious if there are any current Droid owners who are previous Storm 2/BlackBerry owners here who can provide me with some pro/cons & comparisons?

nuttz565

Reaction score
Here are a couple differences I have noticed. I came from a BB tour 9630. The Droid is an amzing phone and I have no regrets. Here are some of the only things I miss from my BB

1.Although with the Droid you can download different keyboards or even use the Droid's physical keyboard I still can't text as fast as I could on my BB.

2. For some odd reason Droid forgot to put any decent profiles settings on the phone. You can hunt around in the Android market and find some apps for this. But with my BB I could set it on a profile that would only allow calls and block text,email and other notifications sounds while I slept, with Droid it alot more involved.

3. And here is my number one thing I miss......COPY & PASTE. Once again you can do this and download several apps, but copy&paste with my BB was SO much easier.

That"s it everything else the Droid puts my old Tour to shame. I honestly messed around with my Wife's Tour today and it felt like I took a time trip to about 3 years ago!!!! Droid F@!@%! rocks!!!!!

OP
H
Reaction score
Here are a couple differences I have noticed. I came from a BB tour 9630. The Droid is an amzing phone and I have no regrets. Here are some of the only things I miss from my BB

1.Although with the Droid you can download different keyboards or even use the Droid's physical keyboard I still can't text as fast as I could on my BB.

2. For some odd reason Droid forgot to put any decent profiles settings on the phone. You can hunt around in the Android market and find some apps for this. But with my BB I could set it on a profile that would only allow calls and block text,email and other notifications sounds while I slept, with Droid it alot more involved.

3. And here is my number one thing I miss......COPY & PASTE. Once again you can do this and download several apps, but copy&paste with my BB was SO much easier.

That"s it everything else the Droid puts my old Tour to shame. I honestly messed around with my Wife's Tour today and it felt like I took a time trip to about 3 years ago!!!! Droid F@!@%! rocks!!!!!

Thank you for the response. Wow I didn't even consider those features!

The keyboard probably won't bother me, since I have a touchscreen.

Profiles I will miss A LOT.

Copy & Paste on my S2 is a nightmare, so it probably won't bother me too much.

Upon second thought, does Droid have an indicator light? I'm pretty reliant on my indicator light, as lame as that might sound, because my phone is on silent 90% of the time.

Last edited:

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
yes, it has an indicator light for missed calls, voicemail, texts, appointments, etc.

IMO, D1 is light years ahead of BB, fwiw. i don't think you'll regret it, especially if it's free!!

OP
H
Reaction score
yes, it has an indicator light for missed calls, voicemail, texts, appointments, etc.

IMO, D1 is light years ahead of BB, fwiw. i don't think you'll regret it, especially if it's free!!

Awesome. Now that I think about it, the indicator light is the feature I use the most, even tho I cant really "physically" use it.

BB6 OS isn't coming to the S2, and RIM has pretty much abandoned it. I do believe I'll be jumping ship soon.

hyperlite456

Reaction score
With certain apps you can also set your indicator lights different colors. There's probably about 5 or 6 colors.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thank you all. I just ordered the Droid. Worst case scenario, I'll just revert back to my S2, but I'm willing to give Droid a "GO". The hardest part of me making this decision was pretty much that I'm gonna be stepping out of the comfort of whats familiar to me, I guess. I should have it in 3-5 business days. From there, only time will tell.

Do we get cookies on the dark side? dancedroid

droidtom

Reaction score
great move

I went from the Storm 1 to the Droid 1 in January. I couldn't be happier. It takes some getting used to, but really the bb is better than the droid, but the droid is better at everything else. For turning off notifications at night, I use timerific and once I set it up it is automatic. For email I use K9 and it is far superior to the default mail app for pop or imap mail. If you use exchange, try touchdown.