DROID vs Storm?

issues636

Reaction score
I currently have the Blackberry Storm, and am really considering the DROID. My contracts nowhere near up though so I'd be paying full price for the DROID, is it worth it? Anyone previously have the Storm and upgrade to the DROID? What do you think?

medicTHREE

Reaction score
If you are at 10 months into a 2 year contract you can resign a contract and get it for 2 year pricing.

I was a self described "power user" on my storm. I knew every tip, trick, bug, and installed every leaked/hybrid os out there. There is no comparison. The Droid is solid from the start. Most common "problems" are from "first smartphoneitis" because they don't know how or what to expect from a smartphone.

OP
issues636

issues636

Reaction score
I'm not even close to 10 months in. I had just recently gotten the Storm with my New Every 2, and I'm just so sick of its unreliability, freezing, etc, that I ALREADY want to get rid of it. It's only been a few months tops. Thanks for the links to the other threads, I'll check them out and see if I can get anything done for myself.

LordKastle

Reaction score
Purchased a Storm for someone last year during the holiday season....after using my Droid...purchasing a Droid for the same person this week. Enough said.

JimMariner

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 64G
I was a self described "power user" on my storm. I knew every tip, trick, bug, and installed every leaked/hybrid os out there.

So what do you do with all your free time you have now? :p I did all that stuff too. And I don't miss it one bit. The only thing I am updating now are Apps, not OS's. No more midnight waits on the latest greatest fix or hybrid.

issues636, I was a die hard BB Storm 1 user. I waited outside my local VZW store last year to get it. The Storm really is a Decent Device, the hardware is solid, the software has always been flawed. It only started to get better when the 5.0 releases started coming out. If it weren't for me being up for my NE2, I might have waited and been somewhat content with my Storm1. But since I was able to upgrade, I jumped on it. Repeated my early morning wait outside my local VZW Store.Ii got there really early, but was only number 2 there, some nice woman that couldn't sleep either all night beat me there :p

All I can say is, pay full price now, sell your Storm on EBay, they still bring a decent price there. Whine and complain to VZW Customer service or your nearest VZW Store Customer Service Rep. Play it for all it's worth. Add a new line too your account, and give the Storm to a family member. There are options. As stated above, you could just re-up your contract to a new 2 yr one. I am sure you can get a discount that way too. Or go to the Eris. Very similar to the Droid. No slide out keyboard. And is less expensive than the Droid. But since you don't have one now, I don't see it as a drawback for you. Verizon wants to keep your business, and I am sure they would like you happy too. Go down and try to wheel and deal with them, if that doesn't work good enough for you, call Sales on the phone.

THERE IS ALWAYS A WAY !! When there is a Want :p

gleneston

Reaction score
I'm not even close to 10 months in. I had just recently gotten the Storm with my New Every 2, and I'm just so sick of its unreliability, freezing, etc, that I ALREADY want to get rid of it. It's only been a few months tops. Thanks for the links to the other threads, I'll check them out and see if I can get anything done for myself.

Awww, well if you complain to verizon enough about the issues your having, I'm sure they will eventually give you what you want. They make a lot more off of you from your contract than the phone. A friend of mine threatened to switch providers because his phone was giving him issues. They gave him credit on his account and a free bb bold.

Good luck!

LordKastle

Reaction score
If it wasn't for the narcs and informants in here working for Verizon...i'd be able to tell you a strategy. ;)

BeefyBeefo

Reaction score
They don't even compare. The original Storm was aweful IMO. Although the Storm 2 is a major improvement, there's no comparison to the Droid (long-time BB user here). Definitely take a look at that early upgrade thread. I posted some info there about me getting an early upgrade. Being as you just bought the phone though, that may be a little different. I even considered paying full retail. Now that I have it, I'd say that it's worth it for those people who will actually use it for all it's worth. :D

gleneston

Reaction score
Storm 2 is what the original storm should of been in the first place. My gf has the storm, up until the latest OS update, she was having tons of problems.

No comparison vs the droid IMO.

BillTheCat

Reaction score

I just got my Storm in May, and I had to scratch & claw to get that at below retail because I was 6 months shy of New Every 2.

I called *611, pressed 0 for an operator, was very nice to the woman I spoke with, and she sold me the Droid for $199. Not $299 minus rebate, but $199 flat, and a fresh 2 year contract.

And yes, I work for VZ, as my sig line states, but I am just another customer to VZW.

If I were you, I'd try calling *611 and telling them what a nightmare the Storm has been for you. Let them know they can keep your business by giving you a shot at the Droid. If they refuse, try a local VZW store.

And if for some reason you stick with the Storm, just make sure you are upgraded to the new 5.0 OS. It made noticeable improvements to my Storm.

drbob

Reaction score
Verizon should be giving Storm owners free Droids (or refunds). It has to be the worse phone ever.

Spanky

Reaction score
Let's put it this way, Issues636:

When I got my Storm in July, I was playing around with it for 2 or 3 days, just to see what it could do. After that, it was just a phone and email device to me.

I got the Droid on 11/6. Since then, I haven't put the thing down! It continues to impress me more and more each day. it has, for a large part, replaced my computer.

Bottom line, get the Droid!

droidsoldier

Reaction score
I have had the Droid for about a week now and I am still perplexed... I am debating if I should hit up the Storm 2 as well. My wife just got her 9700 on the AT&T network and for some odd reason the Bold 2 call quality sounds a tad bit better than the Droid. Trust me... I want to make the permanent jump to Verizon with Droids and Storms but I'm not sold on either at this point. I dislike AT&t after all these years... Iphones, Bolds and still not content with that network.
If there are any major issues I have with the Droid, It's the weight of it and the dark grey/black bezel that scratches when you breath on it.. The UI and web speeds are the best I've seen on any handset; (3GS included.) With the Droid web experience, I'm wondering if giving the Storm 2 a shot is even worth it. Thanks for your time. :)...