Gotta Love BB Owners!

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Whew, the fanboyism is rampant everywhere. No single device will suit everyone out there -- not even the Droid. The BB has its place. Do you really need to bash other device users to make you feel better about your own choice?

OP
M

mikespe

Reaction score
Whew, the fanboyism is rampant everywhere. No single device will suit everyone out there -- not even the Droid. The BB has its place. Do you really need to bash other device users to make you feel better about your own choice?

Lighten up man...life is too short...it's called a JOKE...or maybe HUMOR....

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Keep the thread lighthearted and fun. If it gets offensive we'll have to shut it down.

Mikespe pm me if you want it shut down......

zero7starz

Reaction score
The only people I ever suggest blackberries to are the hard core corporate guy who needs his email/calender synced the second he saves it on the computer. Yes the blackberries have their place, but I do not think they're superior. They are different. I do not believe that the blackberry was ever designed to be a phone like the droid is. It was meant to give people instant access to the email that they needed on the spot, with the ability to read/edit some documents if so be it, with internet abilities to have to check something on the go. Not really to be a social connection, complete portable laptop, or a game system. That being said when someone comes to me and says they want a smartphone so they can do anything other then needing to get their business stuff to them all the time for a huge company, I usually steer them away from BBs.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
The only people I ever suggest blackberries to are the hard core corporate guy who needs his email/calender synced the second he saves it on the computer. Yes the blackberries have their place, but I do not think they're superior. They are different. I do not believe that the blackberry was ever designed to be a phone like the droid is. It was meant to give people instant access to the email that they needed on the spot, with the ability to read/edit some documents if so be it, with internet abilities to have to check something on the go. Not really to be a social connection, complete portable laptop, or a game system. That being said when someone comes to me and says they want a smartphone so they can do anything other then needing to get their business stuff to them all the time for a huge company, I usually steer them away from BBs.

Well said. The problem is that a huge portion of the smartphone market is comprised of people who use them in business and the phones frequently are either purchased by their firms or must be approved to be used. That's why BB devices continue to dominate the smartphone marker. And on those scores the Droid is woefully lacking at this point.

As to the question of why one would want password protection for email, many firms require that their corporate email be protected by a second password to access email. Once you've "synched" your "email" or "gmail" on the Droid there is simply no way to protect access to it. It remains open to anyone who pushes the little "gmail" or "email" icon.

Yes, you can lock your phone. And yes, you can refuse to let anyone handle your phone unsupervised. Neither of those protections is considered sufficient by any Fortune 1000 firm I'm familiar with. And as far as email encryption is concerned, again, it's simply not sufficient for many business and government uses. See the following.

BlackBerry Email Gains PGP Encryption - Mobiledia

The Droid is a great multifunctional device and a great competitor in the consumer marketplace. It is not by any means ready for prime time in competition with RIM-based or for that matter WinMo devices in the business world.

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
My wife is on her second (or is it third? I lost track) BB Storm, and seems to be well on her way to bricking the current one as well - it's running slower every day, and has weekly email issues. She's counting down the months until she's eligible for another VZW upgrade; she can't wait to be done with that thing.

I've been keeping it to a minimum on trying to sell her on the Droid. If she eventually does decide to go with one, it will be from her own observations of mine, not from me playing it up.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My wife is on her second (or is it third? I lost track) BB Storm, and seems to be well on her way to bricking the current one as well - it's running slower every day, and has weekly email issues. She's counting down the months until she's eligible for another VZW upgrade; she can't wait to be done with that thing.

I've been keeping it to a minimum on trying to sell her on the Droid. If she eventually does decide to go with one, it will be from her own observations of mine, not from me playing it up.

Does she do the daily battery pulls. All and all Storm2 isn't that bad, it was an improvement over the original Storm. She may be pleased with a Storm 2 if she wants to stay with Blackberry. I'm pretty sure they've taken care of it's hardware issues by now. Or maybe not.:)

Ghostwheel

Reaction score

Does she do the daily battery pulls. All and all Storm2 isn't that bad, it was an improvement over the original Storm. She may be pleased with a Storm 2 if she wants to stay with Blackberry. I'm pretty sure they've taken care of it's hardware issues by now. Or maybe not.:)

She's tried a couple battery pulls, but they haven't seemed to accomplish much. I think her current one (and maybe the one before) is a 2, but her first was the original Storm. One of her friends is an actual VZW store tech, and not only has he not been able to help her issues, but doesn't have a very good opinion of the Storms in general. Apparently the insider dirt on them is even worse than the public dirt.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There's an app for BB called "QuickPull". It is a simulated battery pull. I used to have mine set for early in the AM, before I woke up, so I'd have a fresh BB all day.

Also there is an app called "Logmaid". It helps clean up some of the 'free memory' floating around in the logs.

I also had an app, I don't remember what it was, but it would flash a warning when free memory got below a set point ( i determined) so I could be aware before my Storm started slowing down.

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
There's an app for BB called "QuickPull". It is a simulated battery pull. I used to have mine set for early in the AM, before I woke up, so I'd have a fresh BB all day.

Also there is an app called "Logmaid". It helps clean up some of the 'free memory' floating around in the logs.

I also had an app, I don't remember what it was, but it would flash a warning when free memory got below a set point ( i determined) so I could be aware before my Storm started slowing down.

Thanks for the pointers, I'll pass them along.

(Let's go Whalers! I grew up near Binghamton, so our logo was always sideways.) :)

D

dman91

I came from using a BB Curve 8900 for nearly a year. It was a decent device but just not for me. My biggest gripe about the BB was its browser. I don't think I really used it for anything besides OTA downloads.

bristolcat

Reaction score
A little story

An older guy that I work with came to me this morning looking for help with his brand new Blackberry. I kind of face-palmed because our company does not support Blackberry phones for email and this guy is rather slow with computers in any form and the Blackberry was no exception.

He couldn't figure out his email or how to work his schedule. He didn't understand what the "little pictures" were for. I'm not sure what kind of Blackberry it was- it wasn't a Storm, but I tried to help him with it and found it just as unintuitive as he did.

So he said to me, "You have a Droid, right? How does this work on yours?" So I showed him how the "little pictures" have labels under them that say what they are. I showed him the email client and how easy it was to read text on the screen. I showed him the calendar and how simple it was to work with. He admired the pull-out keyboard that made more sense to him than the little nubby thing on his Blackberry.

He shook his head, thanked me, and as he walked out said, "I should have gotten a :motdroidvert:!"

It was an incredibly satisfying moment for me.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
An older guy that I work with came to me this morning looking for help with his brand new Blackberry. I kind of face-palmed because our company does not support Blackberry phones for email and this guy is rather slow with computers in any form and the Blackberry was no exception.

He couldn't figure out his email or how to work his schedule. He didn't understand what the "little pictures" were for. I'm not sure what kind of Blackberry it was- it wasn't a Storm, but I tried to help him with it and found it just as unintuitive as he did.

So he said to me, "You have a Droid, right? How does this work on yours?" So I showed him how the "little pictures" have labels under them that say what they are. I showed him the email client and how easy it was to read text on the screen. I showed him the calendar and how simple it was to work with. He admired the pull-out keyboard that made more sense to him than the little nubby thing on his Blackberry.

He shook his head, thanked me, and as he walked out said, "I should have gotten a :motdroidvert:!"

It was an incredibly satisfying moment for me.

I'm sure it was. However, from your description of the fellow you'd better hope he doesn't get a :motdroidvert:. :)

bristolcat

Reaction score
I'm sure it was. However, from your description of the fellow you'd better hope he doesn't get a :motdroidvert:. :)

I disagree. The email and calendar apps are extremely simple and easy to use. I think he could handle them fine. It's not like he's going to try rooting his phone or overclocking it or anything...