Cracked screen on two day old Samsung Galaxy S3

kparks

Reaction score
heshnad said:
This phone is nothing but a piece of junk i bought the phone about a week ago or so had nothing but problems with it freezing and force closing then i exchanged it for another one and had the same problem the night before i went to exchange it for a completely different phone i had it in my pocket and took it out when i got home to find a crack at the home button and migrated on the inside of the phone to the earpiece then i took it to att and told me its physical damage and they wouldnt exchange it then i called samsung and told me its gonna cost me 200 dollars to fix it and i took it to someone higher than their regular rep and he was so rude and said ok send it and we will asses the damage then let u know they advertise gorrila glass screen that doesnt break and all that stuff and it broke in my pocket i was so pissed and i told them if they dont send me a new phone i will take them to court for false advertisement

They have never advertised the gorilla glass as it doesn't break lmao!!

Zenagon

Reaction score
Galaxy S3 cracked screen on it's own and never dropped

Very disappointed! I bought my Galaxy S3 on 6/27 from T-mobile on the day it came out. Today, I took the phone off it's charger (it was fine at this point), put it in my front pocket (loose pocket too), and walked downstairs. I took it out of my pocket and started to talk to my coworker. He looked at it and said what happened? I looked down and said holy cow. There is now a crack starting above the home button and extending up and out. I have never dropped the phone and I have been very careful with it. It has been in an Otterbox Commuter case and a Zagg invisible shield since about 5 days after I bought it. There was no event that caused this! I'm pretty upset with this so I went to the T-mobile store where I bought it and they said they can't take back cracked phones. I called Samsung and they will only repair it for $70 something and it takes 5-7 days. I asked to speak with the Samsung representative's supervisor. I was put on hold for 20 minutes and hung up out of frustration. I have insurance so I am going to bite the bullet on this one, but I really hope the new phone doesn't break on it's own! This is BS! Samsung needs to acknowledge this problem! Here is a pic of my phone. I am being completely honest here and I was motivated to register on these forums today when I googled your thread. I will no longer be recommending this phone which is too bad because I really do like it.

View attachment 53964

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Welcome to the forums mfz64 and Zenagon. I am so sorry. I have to say I would be upset (that is an understatement). In my very very humble opinion, this seems to be happening more than what I believe it should and I know there are people that will disagree with me but it is mvho! It seems many of these cracks are near pressure points... the home button, power button, volume button. If it were me, I would gather up the various pics, present them to Samsung and talk to them about replacement.

Caesars

Reaction score
I was so excited about this phone too, but ill have to agree with the above poster, this is happening too much. If I were apple I'd be all over a "lol iPhones don't break when you press the home screen" campaign.

kparks

Reaction score
TisMyDroid said:
Welcome to the forums mfz64 and Zenagon. I am so sorry. I have to say I would be upset (that is an understatement). In my very very humble opinion, this seems to be happening more than what I believe it should and I know there are people that will disagree with me but it is mvho! It seems many of these cracks are near pressure points... the home button, power button, volume button. If it were me, I would gather up the various pics, present them to Samsung and talk to them about replacement.

Also as the picture above ur post with the crack by the home button that is by far the hottest point of the phone when charging and multitasking mine gets really hot

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I wonder if that is contributing to the issue. I know my Razr can get hot when charging. Maybe it weakens the glass or causes it to expand??? I feel for these people. Some of these examples of broken glass and where they are broke just doesn't seem right.

Caesars

Reaction score
Perhaps we should have Thread specifically for different variables that could lead to a broken screen. Perhaps build date, height dropped (if any), what case was used, hot/cold weather, device temperature, yada yada yada.

I'm considering getting a sgs3 on a contract free plan, but I'm not buying a phone that is clearly defective.
Googorola MAXX

kparks

Reaction score
Caesars said:
Perhaps we should have Thread specifically for different variables that could lead to a broken screen. Perhaps build date, height dropped (if any), what case was used, hot/cold weather, device temperature, yada yada yada.

I'm considering getting a sgs3 on a contract free plan, but I'm not buying a phone that is clearly defective.
Googorola MAXX

I don't think it's clearly defective..

devower

Reaction score
I believe that this screen crack has something to with some design fault. I had the phone for a month and I dropped thrice the first 2x no problems but got unlucky today when it slipped from my hand dropped face down, the screen cracked!

If many users that had the phone that keeps cracking, clearly something is wrong somewhere. Wonder will samsung do anything about this.

Also not many people will post when they dropped and their screen doesnt cracks, also not many people will post when their screen cracks.

Caesars

Reaction score
That sucks mate :-(, I was sooo excited about this phone too :-(. O well, maybe I'll reconsider the htc route :).

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
devower said:
I believe that this screen crack has something to with some design fault. I had the phone for a month and I dropped thrice the first 2x no problems but got unlucky today when it slipped from my hand dropped face down, the screen cracked!

If many users that had the phone that keeps cracking, clearly something is wrong somewhere. Wonder will samsung do anything about this.

Also not many people will post when they dropped and their screen doesnt cracks, also not many people will post when their screen cracks.

You drop the phone glass front getting the initial impact, and you are suprised the screen broke, really, LOL.

Sent from my HTC Rezound with ICS/Galaxy Siii using Droid Forums

Knowpig

Reaction score
So where did this finally end up?

Sent from my Liquid Galaxy Nexus on Xparent ICS.

OP
E

exmasonite

Reaction score
Several calls to Samsung were fruitless. The phone is pretty msuch completely functional and u only really notice it when the screen is off. Probably going to let a sleeping dog lie. If it is ever acknowledged by Samsung, Verizon might do something. I am not holding my breath. Has completely soured me on Samsung and this phone though.

Knowpig

Reaction score
I want to make this clear. If your story is true and accurate, I would not let this go. I would file a complaint with the BBB against Vzw and Samsung. I would then file suit in small claims against Vzw and Samsung. I am not an attorney and I am not giving legal advice.

Sent from my Liquid Galaxy Nexus on Xparent ICS.