Cracked screen on two day old Samsung Galaxy S3

taekcool

Reaction score
Galaxy S3 cracked horizontally across the screen with NO REASON

Same here. My girlfriend's Galaxy S3 cracked horizontally across the screen with NO REASON This happened after around 10 days of use. She babied this so much that she didn't even let me play with it and I was with her when this happened. I did see the screen was fine about an hour ago and then we suddenly found this crack when she was watching Youtube/Texting. The only thing I can think of right now is the Heat causing some tensile/compressible force on the glass by the things surrounding it, lcd, casing, name it. We are planning to go to AT&T tonight and they'd better refund us if not this will go viral in the internet and I will make sure it costs them.

kparks

Reaction score
taekcool said:
Same here. My girlfriend's Galaxy S3 cracked horizontally across the screen with NO REASON This happened after around 10 days of use. She babied this so much that she didn't even let me play with it and I was with her when this happened. I did see the screen was fine about an hour ago and then we suddenly found this crack when she was watching Youtube/Texting. The only thing I can think of right now is the Heat causing some tensile/compressible force on the glass by the things surrounding it, lcd, casing, name it. We are planning to go to AT&T tonight and they'd better refund us if not this will go viral in the internet and I will make sure it costs them.

Well on my s3 the hottest part of the phone by far is where the home button is... if it's like that for u all maybe there is a connection to the heat are all the cracks occurring in the same location..?

taekcool

Reaction score
The crack line is about 1 inch away from the home button. I would have to check my gf's S3 after work to see if the heat is strongest near the home button. Thanks for telling me about that. I will keep you posted with the updates from AT&T visit tonite.

Well on my s3 the hottest part of the phone by far is where the home button is... if it's like that for u all maybe there is a connection to the heat are all the cracks occurring in the same location..?

hotconductor

Reaction score
Have you all had any luck? EXACT same thing happened to us. Home button was pressed, screen cracked out from that point. NOT DROPPED. Samsung phone support is a nightmare, Verizon unwilling to help.

kparks

Reaction score
taekcool said:
The crack line is about 1 inch away from the home button. I would have to check my gf's S3 after work to see if the heat is strongest near the home button. Thanks for telling me about that. I will keep you posted with the updates from AT&T visit tonite.

Mine gets really hot when I'm on google music in the car and obviously hot out

taekcool

Reaction score
Not Yet but I am going there right now... I will have updates later on tonite...
Have you all had any luck? EXACT same thing happened to us. Home button was pressed, screen cracked out from that point. NOT DROPPED. Samsung phone support is a nightmare, Verizon unwilling to help.

taekcool

Reaction score
Exchanged! I got a new one

Here's the news and it's a good one :) The AT&T guys here exchanged it for a new one. I have the option of returning mine and my gf's galaxy s3 but we would have to the restocking fee.. but I am still nervous about the glass, i feel it's weaker than most smartphones. So I will be deciding later next week.. I am hoping she was unlucky and got a bad one.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
taekcool said:
Here's the news and it's a good one :) The AT&T guys here exchanged it for a new one. I have the option of returning mine and my gf's galaxy s3 but we would have to the restocking fee.. but I am still nervous about the glass, i feel it's weaker than most smartphones. So I will be deciding later next week.. I am hoping she was unlucky and got a bad one.

That is promising. So maybe they are beginning to acknowledge that there may be a problem with some screens... and maybe now that AT&T has stepped up to the plate, maybe Verizon will.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

harp666

Reaction score
Guess I'm lucky...I'm pretty rough with my phone, dropped it twice with no screen crack. No case used.

kparks

Reaction score
taekcool said:

Cool good news I'm having other problems with mine I'm about done with this phone and Samsung in general I've done 8 factory resets I think I'm a demand a new one then sell it on ebay not sure yet

hatesamsung

Reaction score
Cracked Samsung Screen - change in weather

Has anyone seen this before.

Samsung issue | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

This is what happened to me:

Got out of my, took couple of pictures (cold weather), kept the phone on table, picked the phone, switched on the TV and while I was messaging the screen started to crack.... I was literally seeing it crack in my hands....

Possible cause - Cold weather outside... warm weather inside....

Note the small bristles near the pressure points... .I see this being the cause

Samsung says they can not do anything about it. It is outside their warranty etc.

Reaction score
I bought the S3 full price at Best Buy. Thankfully I had problems with it not holding a signal in my area and dropping calls, so I used my 30 day satisfaction guarantee to exchange it for the RAZR Maxx HD. So far I've been extremely happy with the trade. Hope you all can get your screen issues resolved with your carriers or Samsung.

Last edited:

tshelton

Reaction score
I'm so glad to have found this thread.

After having the phone for 21 days, I placed it on the kitchen counter, walked away for 10 minutes, and when I returned the glass was shattered in a spider web pattern that emanates out from the HOME button across the entire screen. Prior to this, the phone had never been dropped and was getting light use. Naturally, Samsung won't accept that the glass broke WITHOUT CAUSE! When it comes to broken glass the customer is always wrong. So, I guess I'm screwed and I'll have to eat it, but I don't have to forget it!

I won't buy a Samsung phone next time.

tshelton

Reaction score
Ditto! I feel your pain.

I'm so glad to have found this thread. My experience is much like Zenagon's.

After having the phone for 21 days, I placed it on the kitchen counter, walked away for 10 minutes, and when I returned the glass was shattered in a spider web pattern (Almost exactly like the picture you posted!) emanating out from the HOME button. Prior to this, the phone had never been dropped and was getting light use. Naturally, Samsung won't accept that the glass broke WITHOUT CAUSE! When it comes to broken glass the customer is always wrong. So, I guess I'm screwed and I'll have to eat it, but I don't have to forget it!

I won't buy a Samsung phone next time.

Last edited: