Cracked screen on two day old Samsung Galaxy S3

NutZ

Reaction score
he got nowhere with verizon or samsung. Apparently Verizon employee accounts is a bit more "brisk" than the typical customer service folks... I guess they don't have to worry about losing the "customer" unless somebody is willing to give up their livelihood. My bro is going to try to reach out to his Samsung rep directly but he told me not to get my hopes up. He said unless there's a "documented problem" with the phone, there's nothing VZW can do.

The thing is... i have insurance on the phone. I've had it since day 1... but really hoping that my $200 phone isn't going to turn into a $300 (or i'd have gotten a freaking Razr Maxx). Besides... what would prevent this from happenign again? The damage is minor and 1/2 of the damage is over the bezel so the impact is minimal.

Just very disappointed in samsung for not making this right. Can't recommend this phone to ANYBODY at this point.

I have to agree I had my phone for less then 2 weeks when i bent down to open the gas can it slid out of pocket unto plastic container then unto floor it was in a case. I too called verizon and i too have insurance but they said once a crack appeared it voided the warranti...I am explained to them that it happened during hurricane sandy and the gas strike it fell on deaf ears the crack is minor but definitly dissappointed. I have 2 more years before i can upgrade and hoping that before that time i can get screen replaced

Brian72

Reaction score
I have to agree I had my phone for less then 2 weeks when i bent down to open the gas can it slid out of pocket unto plastic container then unto floor it was in a case. I too called verizon and i too have insurance but they said once a crack appeared it voided the warranti...I am explained to them that it happened during hurricane sandy and the gas strike it fell on deaf ears the crack is minor but definitly dissappointed. I have 2 more years before i can upgrade and hoping that before that time i can get screen replaced

Out of curiosity what kind of case did you have on the phone?

jimg50

Reaction score
Who told you that Izzy wrong Asurian will change you 90 dollars and send a new one in two days. It's funny though, just watched a utube video about gorilla glass on the note 2 .they had a s3 and the note and pounded two differeent butcher knives on each and neither phone scratched or broke. I don't get it.

NutZ

Reaction score
utube video about gorilla glass
i can't even drop mine in water now to test the water proof lol because of the minor scratch jit will seep

Viktorr

Reaction score
This is a problem that has roots further back than phone manufacturing.

I'm sure most of us here have had cracked glass on the windshield of our cars at one point. Same is true for the glass of our phones, though due to needing to be a hell of a lot thinner means more extreme measures.

It's the nature of the material they're working with, though they're trying to push it's limits before being truly tested out.

Psychonaut

Reaction score
I bought the insurance from Sprint, had to pay 6 more bucks a month when I got the s3. Found out the phone is made to fragile and if you don't pay 60 more dollars for the otterbox you are screwed. As on day three after I got the phone it fell out of my hoodie and cracked really badly (falling 3 feet to the ground). Brought it to sprint to find out now they don't repair these things with their more expensive insurance. Now you pay 150 dollars (which is the total cost of the phone at their cost in asian sweat shops!!!!!!) and they send you a REFURBISHED one and you send yours back to the sweat shop so they can fix it and charge the next person that breaks their screen 150 dollars for your old one refurbished. To me this is a scam and they are making bank off of making this phone so fragile and not selling it with all the bells and whistles to protect it, so it's functional against wear and tear in the average person's life.

This is much like the American car industry in the middle of the 90's.. and it threw the industry straight into failure.. to much greed and craftily made items that break way to easy... it angers me that they get away with this kind of crap. I've been a customer of sprint for over 16 years and i've never had a phone or an insurance plan so screwed up. Never mind their 4g service is still crap 3 years later. I had the Epic before this and I NEVER had a cracked screen with it.

Shame on Sprint and Android!

Last edited:

Brian72

Reaction score
View attachment 58721

think i will have to get it replaced before digitizer messes up as well.​

Thanks for posting the pics. I'm leaning toward buying this phone and have done a ton of research on this drop issue. The one conclusion I've reached is that this phone is definitely more fragile than most, but not by much. There are a few youtube videos where people drop test this thing. Pretty much all phones will survive with a drop on it's back, and pretty much all phones will shatter if dropped onto concrete on it's face. The S3 is no different. Where the S3 seems to fail is when dropped on it's corners. I've seen a few tests where it passed and some where it failed.

The case you put on it is a nice case. But honestly there is zero corner protection. Once you get it fixed I'd find a case with good corner protection and a lip around the face. There are many out there, but you'll definitely sacrifice some thinness for protection. I'm just not sure you wouldn't have had the issue with any other phone. Go to youtube and search galaxy s3 drop test and check it out for yourself. Then throw the word otterbox in there. A couple of people tested it with a commuter and defender with no issues.

I also still think it's possible that there was an issue early on in production. I'm wondering if anyone has had a "mysterious" break with the black or brown version, since those weren't made early in the product cycle. Looks like your phone is black, but I'm talking about those people that insist it was never dropped and a crack just somehow appeared.

Last edited:

simonxp

Reaction score
There is a petition going around about the "Corning Gorilla Glass" glass screen for the SGS3 that has to do with the glass breaking. Whether this has happened to you or not please give this a read because you made need to get this taken care of sooner or later. You can search "Galaxy S3 broken glass" on google and literaly you will find pages of link's to forums, you tube videos, and so on about this problem.

http://www.change.org/petitions/sprint-att-verizon-t-mobile-samsung-and-corning-inc-gorilla-glass-2-0-repair-or-replace-samsung-galaxy-s3-s-that-have-defective-gorilla-glass-2

Last edited:

droidpris

Reaction score
Mine fell 6 inches out of my back pocket a few days after having it and shattered. That was it's first fall. I didnt have a case on it yet, and I probably wasnt going to get one since I had the original S4G for years and never had so much as a scratch on the screen. I could throw that thing against a cement wall right now and it still wouldnt shatter. Since then I got an Otterbox case, which seems really durable but I didnt get the thinnest lightest phone to put a brick on it just to protect it. You cant tell I have the new Titanium, let alone that its a Samsung. I have insurance, but it makes me sick to have to spend another $130 deductible on a phone I paid $600 for. Samsung initially quoted me $160 to send it to them to fix. I hear the same thing from TMobile about how it isnt covered under Warranty. Ive been in back and forth emails with Samsung and I get the standard response of how they are sorry I am unhappy. Its bull. I signed the petition posted above. Hopefully they will take some responsibility for making a POS and do something about it.

illustions

Reaction score
my screen just crack aswell Buttom left corner now im sad can'teven noticeit cuz it does not do the lighting effect as it did on my envy touch but I know its crack and that wat matters

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I thought this thing was supposed to have gorilla glass??

Gorilla glass is not unbreakable. If there was a flaw in the glass it can break easily. Defects do get out.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2