Cracked screen-Images may be disturbing to some viewers

gena777

Reaction score
I dropped (actually unintentionally threw) my phone on the sidewalk this morning. Ouch!

View attachment 51723View attachment 51724
The phone still functions and I'm planning to send it to Motorola for repair. This may be a silly question but can I switch my phone number back to my Droid X and not affect my unlimited data plan? Also, I'm still using the phone and trying to be very careful with the screen but I'm concerned I might cut my finger. Can I apply a screen protector for short term use? Unfortunately I didn't have it in a case.

Many Thanks!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I dropped (actually unintentionally threw) my phone on the sidewalk this morning. Ouch!

View attachment 51723View attachment 51724
The phone still functions and I'm planning to send it to Motorola for repair. This may be a silly question but can I switch my phone number back to my Droid X and not affect my unlimited data plan? Also, I'm still using the phone and trying to be very careful with the screen but I'm concerned I might cut my finger. Can I apply a screen protector for short term use? Unfortunately I didn't have it in a case.

Many Thanks!

In answer to both questions the answer for both would be yes. When changing a plan from 1 phone to another, as long as both phones are eligible for the same plan there is no change to the plan and therefore no effect on the grandfathering. So in your case, going from a smart phone with a data plan 2 a smartphone with a data plan, will have no impact on your plans and you won't lose your grandfathered status.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
What he said.... and STOP TROWING YOUR PHONE!!!!! ;) :p lol

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
you might loose the 4g unlimited because the X is a 3g phone so you wont subscribe to 4g services..

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
oh and welcome to the forums :)

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Yep, welcome to the forums :) call vzw and ask them, since the device is going in for repairs you might be OK... idk though... gotta ask.

OP
gena777

gena777

Reaction score
In answer to both questions the answer for both would be yes. When changing a plan from 1 phone to another, as long as both phones are eligible for the same plan there is no change to the plan and therefore no effect on the grandfathering. So in your case, going from a smart phone with a data plan 2 a smartphone with a data plan, will have no impact on your plans and you won't lose your grandfathered status.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Thanks FoxKat for your quick reply. That is exactly the answer I was hoping for :)

G!

OP
gena777

gena777

Reaction score
you might loose the 4g unlimited because the X is a 3g phone so you wont subscribe to 4g services..

Justin82, That is exactly what I was worried about. I went to the Verizon store (not a company store) close to my house and the rep said I wouldn't lose my unlimited data plan because I wasn't "switching plans".

G!

OP
gena777

gena777

Reaction score
Yep, welcome to the forums :) call vzw and ask them, since the device is going in for repairs you might be OK... idk though... gotta ask.

I asked them at the store but I think I'll give them a call just to double check. Thanks for your advice!

G!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
No problem... just stop throwing phones please... :) :rofl2: :D:p

Reaction score
If for some reason they didn't they would give you 14 days to reactivate it. You would have to call customer service and it would take 1-2 weeks. For it to go back on to the account. I had my thunderbolt break and changed for a none smartphone for a few days. Got the RAZR maxx and called and about a week later they put the unlimited back on.

OP
gena777

gena777

Reaction score
If for some reason they didn't they would give you 14 days to reactivate it. You would have to call customer service and it would take 1-2 weeks. For it to go back on to the account. I had my thunderbolt break and changed for a none smartphone for a few days. Got the RAZR maxx and called and about a week later they put the unlimited back on.

Thanks for letting me know. I tried switching my number to my old phone and got to a screen that said my current plan wasn't compatible with my (old) device. The next step was to choose a new data plan, :( I am going to go in to a company store in the morning and have them walk me through the process. I can't lose the unlimited plan!!!

G!

Reaction score
I called verizon from another phone and they did it there. I asked them multiple times to about getting unlimited back. I didnt want to loose it. After I got it back they said it would take a week or two and I was like they never said that to me in the first place. So here I am freaking out but after a week the guy I talked to about getting it reactivated texted me and said everything is back to normal.

OP
gena777

gena777

Reaction score
Now my phone seems to only be getting a 3G signal. Usually I have a strong 4G signal. Could dropping it cause it to not connect to 4G? I'm planning to send it back to Motorola to fix the screen but perhaps the problem is more than just the screen...

G!

Reaction score
Well when my thunderbolt dropped about a month ago. Im guessing it was getting in the car only thing I can think of. My girlfriends cousin found it and said the screen cracked. Maybe from hitting it with the tire but I dont know. But anyways I could not make or recieve any phone calls or text messages. I dont know why since I was able to go on the internet and check facebook. Have no idea what could have caused that. So maybe it does have something to do with dropping it.

Do you have insurance? If you do would it be cheaper for you to claim insurance than have it fixed?