Cracked Droid Screen...What can I do?

mshain81

Reaction score
I've had my Moto Droid for about 10 days. I put it in my pocket with my keys and when I pulled it back out, my screen had multiple cracks!

I didnt drop it (ever), didnt sit on it or apply any pressure whatsoever to the phone. It just cracked somehow...Weird part is, everything still works perfectly fine, just a little heart breaking to have all these cracks running through my screen.

Anyway, like I said, only had it for 10 days and no insurance. What are my options here?

Thanks.

toastedoats

Reaction score
I believe you have 14 days to add the insurance to your phone after the date of purchase. I would call verizon and see if you can add it; do not mention the cracked screen

OP
M

mshain81

Reaction score
Alright...Just spoke with Verizon. They said that it would cost me $50 to exchange it in store for a refurb. Not to high on the refurb phone...Anyone have any issues or are they as good as new ones ect?

toastedoats

Reaction score
I went through 3 refurbs in 2 weeks. Finally got a good one on number refurb number 4

toastedoats

Reaction score
I went to the store to exchange and they FedEx'd me replacements

1. Charging port damaged / Intermittant
2. Had Dust under screen
3. Proximity sensor was broken (screen would not turn on when phone was removed from ear on phonecall)

OP
M

mshain81

Reaction score
I went to the store to exchange and they FedEx'd me replacements

1. Charging port damaged / Intermittant
2. Had Dust under screen
3. Proximity sensor was broken (screen would not turn on when phone was removed from ear on phonecall)

Was there a time frame on how long that replacement warrenty lasted? I dont want to have something go wrong after 45 days and then I'm screwed.

richrcp

Reaction score
Alright...Just spoke with Verizon. They said that it would cost me $50 to exchange it in store for a refurb. Not to high on the refurb phone...Anyone have any issues or are they as good as new ones ect?

I personally have had bad luck with refurbished phones in the past. Had three BB 8330's and none of which were any good so I upgraded to the Droid. I know they refurb them and run the phones through a series of QA checks but your still getting someone elses problem!!!!!! Good luck:icon_eek:

toastedoats

Reaction score
I believe the Refurbs come with a 60 or 90 day warranty but you still should be covered under the original 1yr beyond that I think

BigRalphN

Reaction score
I have found that they will sell you a refurb fo that range most of the time. I stopped getting the warrantys because of this.

OP
M

mshain81

Reaction score
I have found that they will sell you a refurb fo that range most of the time. I stopped getting the warrantys because of this.

Its not a bad price, I just dont want a refurb and/or having to always exchange it ect.

Cant I walk back into verizon and say that during my trial period with the droid, somehow the screen cracked and I've came to the conclusion that the droid's screen durability isnt for me? haha

ytwokc5

Reaction score
I thought I remembered a thread where someone replaced the glass themselves.

smrivera80

Reaction score
I believe the Refurbs come with a 60 or 90 day warranty but you still should be covered under the original 1yr beyond that I think

I worked for VZW from 2002 - 2008. I don't know if the warranty policy has changed, but when I was there, refurbs or "FRU's" were covered for 90 days. The 1 year warranty offered on the original phone was considered void once you no longer had that phone. After the 90 day refurb warranty expired, you were out of luck unless you want to pay another $50 for a refurb or for an insurance replacement (which, 9 times out of 10, was also a refurb).

mshain81, I'm sorry you have a cracked screen. I'd be heartbroken about that, too. Good luck.