Cracked screen question

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Dark Lazer, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Dark Lazer

Dark Lazer Active Member

Ratings:
    +64
    A few days ago I dropped my Thunderbolt from no higher than a foot and a half off the floor, and it landed in the perfect position to crack the screen. There's 2 pretty big cracks that run from one side to the other (they meet in the center so its like a multiplication sign "X").

Anyways, the phones still works fine, touch screen is responsive, so it looks like the damage is just cosmetic.

My question is, would buying a digitizer fix this? I saw some on amazon to $25 - $40. I heard it can be a bit of a pain to replace them yourself, but I don't mind giving it a shot if this is what they are for.

Also, please don't move this to the thunderbolt forums. This relates to any phone that has a cracked screen. Thanks.

2. rubiksc00p

rubiksc00p Senior Member

Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
    Ratings:
    +30
    Might as well... And you're probably only going to need the glass not the digitizer... I've looked into replacing a 'bolt screen, it doesn't seem that hard!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

3. Dark Lazer

Dark Lazer Active Member

Ratings:
    +64
    Oh really? I thought the glass was part of the digitizer. Never really looked into it though, just checked briefly.

Amazon.com: Verizon HTC Thunderbolt Touch Glass Screen Digitizer + Engraving Tool Keychain: Cell Phones & Accessories

This is what I was looking into.

Also, that's good to know it's not that hard :)

4. TyrantII

TyrantII Member

Ratings:
    +1
    The glass IS the digitizer.

Jeesh, people just love padding their post counts, even when they're giving out possibly false info.

The glass/digitizer is one piece, the LCD another. Not sure on you phone, but my GO Droid required a complete teardown. It's not hard, but is time consuming. You just need to be comfortable with taking things apart, fixing them, ect. I used to build models and love putting together computers, so anyone with those skills it should be a breeze. You also have to be very careful not to break or snap any ribbon cables. The price of tools adds a bit to the costs, but was still cost effective when I fixed mine.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

5. Fordalex006

Fordalex006 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Digitizer.

you can use it it is LCD that you replace, but you need to find the right that fits on the size your screen, It is a time wasting but it can fix your gadget it is fine. just be careful on those small wires, you should use the right tools for it.

Audio To Text

#5 Fordalex006, Sep 24, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  6. Dark Lazer

Dark Lazer Active Member

Ratings:
    +64
    Thanks guys. Yeah i've seen some videos of people replacing screens on other phones (girlfriend cracked her Inc months back and I was considering replacing that screen myself) and yeah it looks like it takes some time, but I dont mind. I've also put together my fair share of computers, so I'm into that kind of stuff. I think it'll make me appreciate the phones a little more seeing how they are on the inside.

I'll definitely keep you guys posted. Thanks for the help!

7. TyrantII

TyrantII Member

Ratings:
    +1
    The only other thing I'd be wear of is some digitizers are knockoff Chinese cheap stuff that don't work, or won't work long. While others are fine / or even OEM.

Check the ratings, and try to find one you can trust if possible. I'd send you to the Amazon store where I bought the one for my droid, but they don't carry one for your phone unfortunately.

Search tags for this page

cracked touch screen droid 4 okay to use works

my android screen cracked only part of it will work

nexus 7 digitizer appears cracked but screen fine