Corrupted Camera/Gallery "AGAIN"on my Galaxy Note 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Batman8

Reaction score
As much as I love my GN2, it is driving me crazy as I keep finding that my stock Camera & Gallery apps are corrupted. I went into the Gallery to look at photos that were showing up fine, and suddenly all I see are my movies and black/blank icons in the gallery where all the pictures were (but the little number still shows how many pictures are there although you can't see them anymore). If I try to then take additional pictures with the stock camera I still get nothing in the gallery but the movies.

I then went into the file management app to check the pictures and they are all still on my SD card and show fine through that app. I tried clearing the cache AND data of both the stock camera and the gallery app but that didn't help. I then tried a restart and pulled the battery out along with removing and replacing my SD card and SIM card but that did nothing either. I then called Verizon who had no ideas so they put me on a 3-way call with them & Samsung and they asked me to put the phone in Safe Mode (where only the basic app are loaded) but that didn't help either! Their next suggestion of course was a "factory data reset" which can be very painful...

This was all during the first time that it happened, and I thought that it might be from one particular app/game that was causing it, so I deleted that app but still had to perform a Factory Data Reset to get the camera & gallery working. Of course a few hours later it happened again!!!!

I don't believe it is the SD card since I have tons of other data on the 64GB card and all the other data works fine (music, movies, game data, docs, etc. all load fine). I have tried other camera and picture apps from the Google Play Store/market and they all work fine too. This is driving me nuts so I felt I had to reach out to the tech support folks who has always been more helpful and informative than VZW and that's been you all. I've gotten more problems resolved here in the forums over the years than anywhere. Have any of you run into this?

I sure hope one of you has the answer to this one. I love this phone, but I am sick of dealing with resetting it, and I hate not having my stock apps working. If I can ever get everything loaded on it and set up like I want, I plan to make a full TB backup and a Nandroid backup too (if Rom Manager ever supports the VZW Note 2).

PLEASE HELP! Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
B

Batman8

Reaction score
As much as I love my GN2, it is driving me crazy as I keep finding that my stock Camera & Gallery apps are corrupted. I went into the Gallery to look at photos that were showing up fine, and suddenly all I see are my movies and black/blank icons in the gallery where all the pictures were (but the little number still shows how many pictures are there although you can't see them anymore). If I try to then take additional pictures with the stock camera I still get nothing in the gallery but the movies.

I then went into the file management app to check the pictures and they are all still on my SD card and show fine through that app. I tried clearing the cache AND data of both the stock camera and the gallery app but that didn't help. I then tried a restart and pulled the battery out along with removing and replacing my SD card and SIM card but that did nothing either. I then called Verizon who had no ideas so they put me on a 3-way call with them & Samsung and they asked me to put the phone in Safe Mode (where only the basic app are loaded) but that didn't help either! Their next suggestion of course was a "factory data reset" which can be very painful...

This was all during the first time that it happened, and I thought that it might be from one particular app/game that was causing it, so I deleted that app but still had to perform a Factory Data Reset to get the camera & gallery working. Of course a few hours later it happened again!!!!

I don't believe it is the SD card since I have tons of other data on the 64GB card and all the other data works fine (music, movies, game data, docs, etc. all load fine). I have tried other camera and picture apps from the Google Play Store/market and they all work fine too. This is driving me nuts so I felt I had to reach out to the tech support folks who has always been more helpful and informative than VZW and that's been you all. I've gotten more problems resolved here in the forums over the years than anywhere. Have any of you run into this?

I sure hope one of you has the answer to this one. I love this phone, but I am sick of dealing with resetting it, and I hate not having my stock apps working. If I can ever get everything loaded on it and set up like I want, I plan to make a full TB backup and a Nandroid backup too (if Rom Manager ever supports the VZW Note 2).

PLEASE HELP! Thanks.

Last edited:

pool_shark

Reaction score
I remember back in the day if you deleted pics using a file manager the gallery didn't like it much and would cause those blanks.
Clearing cache and data, and running sdrescan would fix it.
But that was in the Droid 2 days, I haven't had that problem since that phone.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
Looks like you have a response in your other thread, no need to post twice.

I'm gonna close this one. If anyone wants to help, they can go here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=2347348
Corrupted Camera/Gallery "AGAIN"on my Galaxy Note 2

Tapped from a Galaxy Nexus using Xparent ICS

OP
B

Batman8

Reaction score
Yeah, I remember those days too...I think I was using my DX or Bionic at that time. But I haven't deleted any pics (with a file manager or otherwise) so this issue isn't as simple to resolve as it was back then. Thanks however for the response Pool_Shark! I hope somebody comes up with a solution soon...this is nuts.

huskur

Reaction score
My best guess is you have a bad SD card. I know you said it was 64GB but what class is it?

huskur

Reaction score
You need to change the SD card before anything. Make sure you get a class 8 or 10. Try it.....bet it solves the issue. I have seen this before in the forums

OP
B

Batman8

Reaction score
Thanks for the input Huskur. I use Sandisk Ultras and everything is still working fine with all other apps and files still load just fine too. When you heard of this happening, was there any sort of app/utility that corrected it or was the card just replaced? Thx.

Natey2

Reaction score
I recall a bug in the stock gallery indexer a long time ago that caused this kind of issue. If the actual image files are OK, it must be the thumbnails that are corrupted, because that's what the gallery displays. There are ways to get it to rebuild the thumbnail files.

OP
B

Batman8

Reaction score
I recall a bug in the stock gallery indexer a long time ago that caused this kind of issue. If the actual image files are OK, it must be the thumbnails that are corrupted, because that's what the gallery displays. There are ways to get it to rebuild the thumbnail files.

That sounds about right Natey2, but can you please share with me the "ways to get it to rebuild the thumbnail files?" I am all ears!

OP
B

Batman8

Reaction score

Hey Natey2, I did some research on rebuilding the thumbnail files and found some interesting posts all over the net. One of them however DID solve the problem, so before any of you that are having this issue performs a daring Factory Data Reset or try to reformat your SDcard to resolve this, first you might want to clear the data on your Media Storage app in the settings! Basically go to "settings/application manager/media storage/clear data" then reboot and wait about 5-10 minutes for your data to refresh itself. Be warned that I also lost all of my music playlists when doing this, but it did correct the problem with my Gallery AND stock Camera so that they both work again. I was able to later restore my playlist with TB since I'm rooted.

Also, I take no credit for this information since I'm just passing it on to hopefully help someone else going through the same thing. If I could remember who actually solved the issue I would surely give him/her credit since the forum folks have proven once again to be smarter than BOTH Verizon AND Samsung with their own product (knowing it better than they do which is amazing).

Thanks again all, and good luck.

pool_shark

Reaction score
That was part of the fix from the old days, so basically nothing has changed, except the instances of the problem are few and far between.

I don't understand why it took you so long to resolve this anyway.
Why didn't you just pull some bat tool out of your utility belt. :)

OP
B

Batman8

Reaction score
That was part of the fix from the old days, so basically nothing has changed, except the instances of the problem are few and far between.

I don't understand why it took you so long to resolve this anyway.
Why didn't you just pull some bat tool out of your utility belt. :)

Hey Pool_Shark, I'm glad to see some folks still here from the old days to refresh all of our memories of the fixes from back then. I'm so glad to now get the Gallery and stock Camera back that I'm trying hard to overlook the 156 screenshot images that still just won't display in the Gallery at all. If anyone knows why that is, don't hesitate to let me know.

These days my bat utility belt is working just fine, it's just the bat computer (G Note 2) that's on the fritz recently. :cool-b:

pool_shark

Reaction score
Hey Pool_Shark, I'm glad to see some folks still here from the old days to refresh all of our memories of the fixes from back then. I'm so glad to now get the Gallery and stock Camera back that I'm trying hard to overlook the 156 screenshot images that still just won't display in the Gallery at all. If anyone knows why that is, don't hesitate to let me know.

These days my bat utility belt is working just fine, it's just the bat computer (G Note 2) that's on the fritz recently. :cool-b:

Did you try sdrescan?

Status
Not open for further replies.