Copy of Chat From Gtalk Goes To Gmail

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't believe I've seen this discussed before and it's not a major issue for me but I'm pretty certain it may be for some people and I want to make you aware. Whenever you have a conversation on GTalk a copy of that conversation goes into your Gmail "All Mail" folder. Mine is full of GTalk conversations.

I like to store things in the archive which is the same folder, All Mail and this has really cluttered up my archive mail.

Any email you send out also has a copy of it stored in this same folder. If this is a concern for you you may want to go in and clean up that area. If anybody knows how to avoid Gtalk from being sent to this folder I'd appreciate you sharing it with me.

Droid Cylon

Reaction score
You can change the setting in your web gmail page. Click settings and then the chat tab. I think it is one of the first options whether to save your chats or not. That being said I agree with you about the All Mail folder being a mess. There ought to be some setting for that folder like the trash folder where after a certain time it starts automatically deleting emails.

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can change the setting in your web gmail page. Click settings and then the chat tab. I think it is one of the first options whether to save your chats or not. That being said I agree with you about the All Mail folder being a mess. There ought to be some setting for that folder like the trash folder where after a certain time it starts automatically deleting emails.

Thanks, I'll do that right now.

jimnutt

Reaction score
It's kind of gmail's schtick that you never delete have to delete anything. That's why putting something into "all mail" is called archiving (and why you have so much storage space for it). I never even look in the all mail filter, I live in my inbox and use filter, labels and search to find stuff in the all mail archive when I need it. I definitely would not want it deleting stuff, even really old stuff.