DROID Hints: POP3, GMAIL, forwarding and you.

Istus

Reaction score
I think that may have solved the problem with two email apps at the same time.

Not sure why emails keep coming to Outlook randomly. Just a few though.

Thanks, Istus
My pleasure.

If I may also bump my previous post, does anyone have a recommendation for an email client for my droid?
Aside from forwarding to Gmail and checking everything through that, do you know of any email clients that can handle both IMAP and POP3 directly?

The reason I ask is the delay in Gmail is often much longer than is reasonable or convenient and I have to log into the web client to get information sooner.

red-in-la

Reaction score
I may be premature here, but I think I have my Hotmail account forwarding to the Droid in a "timely" manner.

If anyone is still unsure, Hotmail does do POP3, regardless of the type of account you have. This is from Hotmail: POP3 Availability in Windows Live Hotmail - Mail and Settings - Windows Live Help

I followed the instructions above, but ended up using port 25 for the smtp.live.com Server. That prompted Gmail to send a code to HM that I entered into the Gmail window. I was then able to make the Hotmail account my default account. The last 2 messages I sent to my HM account came through to the Droid in around 3 minutes. There's probably more fine tuning to do but this is a major victory for me since the HM account is my main account.

I

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I could be off my rocker, but...

I followed these steps simply to begin the process of phasing out my POP3 [AOL] email entirely...well, except for junk and trash and signing up for things that tend to sign me up for spam...but I won't be checking it often once all of my important stuff is setup right.

Anyway, I feel like I'm having an issue with Sync now. Might not be caused by this, but ever since I setup my gmail to check the pop3 account, it seems as though sync has either stopped, or has stopped checking even my gmail as often on the Droid.

Case in point, before I set this up, when I'd spend some time here on DF posting in threads, and I got e-mails about replies to threads, my LED would start blinking as soon as I'd notice that the tab on my browser I had open for G-mail [so I could get to the threads on the computer faster] said I had new mail.

Now that I've got Pop3 setup to come through G-mail, yesterday, I was posting in threads and, when I went to bed [I work midnights and go to sleep around 8-9 or later], I occasionally looked at my phone to see if the LED was blinking.

When it wasn't, I thought it was weird, because the threads I was posting in were quite active.

So, I opened the G-mail app and hit refresh, and I had 4 new e-mails.

Sync is on. I've tried turning it off for a while, then back on, but no luck.

Also, when I've deleted an e-mail that came from a thread, and a new one comes in, the new one has the label "Trash" [which is where they go when I delete them]. They still show as new, but I'd hate for them to get lost because they're labeled Trash.

Any help is greatly appreciated, or if anyone else feels like sync isn't doing its job, let me know.

Oh yeah...I refreshed my inbox at work last night, and then checked sync over an HOUR later, and the last time it said G-mail was synced was the time that I refreshed it. That's what leads me to believe something is REALLY off, because before I set this all up, I'd get a few e-mails from DF on the phone, check them on the computer, the light would stop blinking, then I'd get more...

I changed nothing in sync [can you even set the refresh rate...?]. All I did was setup my G-mail account to check my Pop3...oh...oops...and I also disabled IMAP on Gmail.com because I no longer use a program to check Gmail, as I downloaded the Gmail interface for my computer and use the Droid more than anything...but...Droid uses IMAP doesn't it? I read that here. Is that my problem...? [Feeling like an idiot already...]

OP

Silver Member
Reaction score
not sure but people have complained about sync occasionally quitting. turn your imap settings back on to see if that fixes it. it's not harming anything by leaving it on.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
not sure but people have complained about sync occasionally quitting. turn your imap settings back on to see if that fixes it. it's not harming anything by leaving it on.

Thanks. You're right. I did after I posted that. It SEEMS to be keeping up a bit better now, but maybe my mind was just playing tricks on me. As well, not sure if it's maybe set to not sync so much at night, while normal people are sleeping...Working midnights, that sucks for me, but it makes sense.

As for disabling it in the first place, well, I like to mess with things...Haha!

OP

Silver Member
Reaction score
i still have yet seen any documentation that the gmail push is a true push similar to a dedicated BB server, but it's still pretty quick.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
i still have yet seen any documentation that the gmail push is a true push similar to a dedicated BB server, but it's still pretty quick.

Spoke too soon. It's lagging again. Hopefully it will correct itself.

I know, the other day when I went into the store to pay my bill, I got the e-mail notification before the printer started printing out my receipt, and this was after setting up the POP3 and turning off IMAP on gmail.com, so maybe I'm just noticing it because I'm looking for it...

Damn OCD...

racinjunkie

Reaction score
Please try to be kind

I've read every post in this thread and I get some of it but not all because it's over my head.

Obviously the native email client stinks and I'm having problems with this because I need to know when my work needs me and I'm notified by email.

I can set up gmail to pull my verizon account emails by pop3, however, am I correct that I would have to set outlook (the email client I use on my desktop) to leave the messages on the server in order to have them d/l to my desktop also? (d/l'ing to the desktop is a necessity as I get instructions that I need to save/print/file.) What I think that will mean is that I will have to delete unwanted messages in 3 places (droid, outlook, server) which won't work due to the repetitive nature of the emails I receive, many per day with the same subject line, it will be way too tedious to figure out what I've seen where every day.

Am I correct that some posters above are working around this problem by using something called imap? What is that and how does it change things.

If anyone could walk me through the best solution without using too much tech talk I would greatly appreciate it.
Would k-9 or touchdown notify me of new emails?

OP

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've read every post in this thread and I get some of it but not all because it's over my head.

Obviously the native email client stinks and I'm having problems with this because I need to know when my work needs me and I'm notified by email.

I can set up gmail to pull my verizon account emails by pop3, however, am I correct that I would have to set outlook (the email client I use on my desktop) to leave the messages on the server in order to have them d/l to my desktop also? (d/l'ing to the desktop is a necessity as I get instructions that I need to save/print/file.) What I think that will mean is that I will have to delete unwanted messages in 3 places (droid, outlook, server) which won't work due to the repetitive nature of the emails I receive, many per day with the same subject line, it will be way too tedious to figure out what I've seen where every day.

Am I correct that some posters above are working around this problem by using something called imap? What is that and how does it change things.

If anyone could walk me through the best solution without using too much tech talk I would greatly appreciate it.
Would k-9 or touchdown notify me of new emails?
imap is a different type of mail protocol. POP3 is a sort of one-way communication. clients that have the ability to delete emails from the server, after they've been downloaded have an option called "leave on server" or something similar. if you choose NOT to leave the messages on the server, whatever client gets to them first, will delete the messages. once they've been deleted, no other client will be able to download the messages.

imap is a little more "two-way" in that whatever client you use to connect to your mailbox's server, will be synched with whatever data remains on the server.

so if your imap email account has folders, messages, conversations, contacts, etc, your client will have the ability to sync what is available on the server.

if your account doesn't support imap, and only supports POP3, you will be stuck deleting messages from both places.

racinjunkie

Reaction score
thanks

Thanks so much for your time. I think I understand everything you said but I still have a question. I have verizon.net email addys and I use outlook on my desktop. I'm using POP3 to pull messages to my phone and I do not have the box in outlook that says "leave a copy on the server" checked. With my current set up messages come to my phone (sporadically and not in a timely fashion) and later when I open outlook those same messages download to my desktop and then are deleted from the server. If I use POP3 to pull my verizon.net addy messages to gmail will that same thing happen or will I need to check that box in order to still d/l them onto my desktop?

I'm sorry to be such a PITA, I really appreciate your time or anyone else who wants to help the challenged.

OP

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your time. I think I understand everything you said but I still have a question. I have verizon.net email addys and I use outlook on my desktop. I'm using POP3 to pull messages to my phone and I do not have the box in outlook that says "leave a copy on the server" checked. With my current set up messages come to my phone (sporadically and not in a timely fashion) and later when I open outlook those same messages download to my desktop and then are deleted from the server. If I use POP3 to pull my verizon.net addy messages to gmail will that same thing happen or will I need to check that box in order to still d/l them onto my desktop?

I'm sorry to be such a PITA, I really appreciate your time or anyone else who wants to help the challenged.
in outlook (2007, but should apply to all):

- tools - account settings - double-click your POP3 (vzw.net) account
- click the more settings button
- click the advanced tab. leave messages on server is either checked or it isn't.

red-in-la

Reaction score
As much as I'm convinced the Storm is a good hocky puck I'm probably going to dump the Droid. It's a lot more than the Storm when it comes to the internet & gps, but it's a pita when it comes down to what I need it to do: emails and making phone calls. I've got emails going all over the galaxy and no idea how they got to where they are or how they got deleted. Unless you're willing to do all your emails with gmail it doesn't seem worth the hassle. It's like trying to breed horses and zebras and throwing camel in the mix. Stuff just isn't compatible enough at the moment. Maybe in another couple of years...

OP

Silver Member
Reaction score
As much as I'm convinced the Storm is a good hocky puck I'm probably going to dump the Droid. It's a lot more than the Storm when it comes to the internet & gps, but it's a pita when it comes down to what I need it to do: emails and making phone calls. I've got emails going all over the galaxy and no idea how they got to where they are or how they got deleted. Unless you're willing to do all your emails with gmail it doesn't seem worth the hassle. It's like trying to breed horses and zebras and throwing camel in the mix. Stuff just isn't compatible enough at the moment. Maybe in another couple of years...
check out k9 from the marketplace. it's really not so difficult and we're here to help!

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
Keeping track of all my email accounts with the Droid is a no-brainer. I've got gmail set up to do everything and nothing gets lost, deleted or shipped off to an unknown solar system somewhere. To top it off, people that I email or reply to see my mail coming from my address that I've had for years. Piece of cake, thanks to the OP.

racinjunkie

Reaction score
in outlook (2007, but should apply to all):

- tools - account settings - double-click your POP3 (vzw.net) account
- click the more settings button
- click the advanced tab. leave messages on server is either checked or it isn't.

Yeah I know how to do that, thanks. What I'm trying to understand is how/why things work differently in different situations. Right now, without that turned on messages come to my phone and then later come to outlook and are then removed from the server. When I briefly had a blackberry they said i needed to check that option in order to get messages to come into outlook which meant that messages remained on the server and had to be manually deleted.

If I have my vzw mail pulled into Gmail by POP3 will the messages remain on the server without checking that outlook option to leave messages on the server?

If I switch my vzw mail to imap what set up can I use to have things work the way that works for me without having to manually delete messages off the server.