DROID Hints: POP3, GMAIL, forwarding and you.

wolfpackron

Reaction score
How do I delete emails from my trash? I check the email and hit delete, but they keep coming back. I also have duplicate emails running, Gmail and the default email. How do I stop the default email? My Outlook email maybe gets an ocasional email, but not many. What causes this?

souljerr

Reaction score
Hey 640k, I just tried out something new and it works like a charm. I still have the mail setup like you suggested so I'm getting my POP3 just fine (a little slow sometimes but I still get it).

Well, the only reason I created my gmail account was so that I could use the phone. I've been using my POP3 account for over 10 years now and I didn't like the fact that I couldn't compose emails from my phone that would show them coming from my POP3 account unless I use the twitchy email app on the phone.

Well, I started looking through the settings in Gmail, and saw that if you have a POP3 account setup it gives you the option to set that as a default so when you send email it shows it coming from that account.

So I set my POP3 account as the default and sent a test email from my phone and it works!

Just thought I'd share this if you want to update your first post with this info. This comes in really helpful for those of us that have no need to use our Gmail account.

So here's what needs to be changed:

Gmail (browser)> Settings> Accounts and Import > Send Mail As (set POP3 account as default)

Now anytime you compose a message from your phone, it will show it coming from your POP3 account instead of the Gmail account... :)

Yeah this is definitely a great tip!

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
PLEASE HELP......

ok so I am not sure if what I want to do it possible or not...
I have a Gmail account I have been using since Gmail was beta. it is my primary email and frankly the only email address I use.
I have it set up on my laptop via outlook 2007
I also have it set up on the DROID.

here is what I want to happen. when I delete email from the droid I want it deleted off the server so that when I get home it doesn't download the emails a second time.

is this possible? I NEVER use Gmail.com for checking my emails its always outlook and now my Droid I use the Droid while I am out of the house.

so when I delete an email from OUTLOOK or DROID I'd like it deleted from the gmail server so it does get downloaded again

-=Jason=-
I have figured it out :)

I changed my outlook from a POP3 to IMAP the droid is running IMAP and I spent a good 2 + hours last night cleaning out/sorting the 2457 messing in my INBOX located on www.Gmail.com

I am now a happy camper

-=Jason=-

souljerr

Reaction score
[/quote]

I changed my outlook from a POP3 to IMAP the droid is running IMAP and I spent a good 2 + hours last night cleaning out/sorting the 2457 messing in my INBOX located on www.Gmail.com

I am now a happy camper

-=Jason=-[/QUOTE]

When you download all emails do any stay in the inbox? I'd like to do this but want to be sure I can view them in Outlook on my pc.

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I am now a happy camper

-=Jason=-[/QUOTE]

When you download all emails do any stay in the inbox? I'd like to do this but want to be sure I can view them in Outlook on my pc.[/QUOTE]

right now I am not at home and my outlook2007 is not sending / receiving. any emails I get while at work.so at work with my DROID I either reply, delete , or archive. the deleted don't actually get deleted, but put into an IMAP DELETE folder and from there I can send to trash or move to another folder. so yes basically what IMAP does is sync all your devices to one mail account. what ever you do on the DROID is done in outlook and the server.

-=Jason=-

OP

Silver Member
Reaction score
PLEASE HELP......

ok so I am not sure if what I want to do it possible or not...
I have a Gmail account I have been using since Gmail was beta. it is my primary email and frankly the only email address I use.
I have it set up on my laptop via outlook 2007
I also have it set up on the DROID.

here is what I want to happen. when I delete email from the droid I want it deleted off the server so that when I get home it doesn't download the emails a second time.

is this possible? I NEVER use Gmail.com for checking my emails its always outlook and now my Droid I use the Droid while I am out of the house.

so when I delete an email from OUTLOOK or DROID I'd like it deleted from the gmail server so it does get downloaded again

-=Jason=-

I am now a happy camper

-=Jason=-
nice find. outlook actually treats my gmail as actual email accounts now. it downloaded the folders and now I don't have to login to gmail or delete items specifically from outlook. plus, i can get rid of my hotmail accounts in outlook too.

5dv

Reaction score
I have an email in my pop account that has a wav file attachment. I can get it to play but don't see how to save it to the SD card.
Any help is appreciated.

Istus

Reaction score
Aside from forwarding to Gmail and checking everything through that, do you know of any email clients that can handle both IMAP and POP3 directly?

The reason I ask is the delay in Gmail is often much longer than is reasonable or convenient and I have to log into the web client to get information sooner.

wolfpackron

Reaction score
Flomaster and 640k,
How do I change my Outlook email from pop3 to Imap? I followed 640k"s instructions and I am still having problems with my email. I originally used Outlook for email and calendar. I opened a Gmail account per 640's instructions. Some of my email still comes to Outlook, some of my email comes to the default email app, but most of my email comes to the Gmail app account. I tried to uncheck boxes on the default email app, such as no notifications, etc, but it is like a snake, very hard to kill. Thanks in advance for suggestions, WolfpackRon.

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Flomaster and 640k,
How do I change my Outlook email from pop3 to Imap? I followed 640k"s instructions and I am still having problems with my email. I originally used Outlook for email and calendar. I opened a Gmail account per 640's instructions. Some of my email still comes to Outlook, some of my email comes to the default email app, but most of my email comes to the Gmail app account. I tried to uncheck boxes on the default email app, such as no notifications, etc, but it is like a snake, very hard to kill. Thanks in advance for suggestions, WolfpackRon.

go to gmail.com click settings, click IMAP link for directions you pick your version of outlook and will give you the configuration info need for outlook

you will need to delete the email account on your email app if you plan on just using Gmail App. IIRC you long press the account name in the email app under settings or some thing like that and you will be prompted with a pop up to delete or remove the account.

-=Jason=-

wolfpackron

Reaction score
I did the IMAP settings. I will see how that works out. Not sure I deleted the default email successfully. Thanks, WolfpackRon.

wolfpackron

Reaction score
I am still getting an occasional email in my Outlook Mail account rather than being sent to Gmail.

I am also still getting mail under the default email app. I can drag the app icon to the bottom and it turns red, but the account is still receiving emails. How do completely disable this app? Anyone know how to do this? This is the email app that came standard on the Droid phone. Thanks, WolfpackRon.

Istus

Reaction score
I am still getting an occasional email in my Outlook Mail account rather than being sent to Gmail.

I am also still getting mail under the default email app. I can drag the app icon to the bottom and it turns red, but the account is still receiving emails. How do completely disable this app? Anyone know how to do this? This is the email app that came standard on the Droid phone. Thanks, WolfpackRon.
Open the app, long press on an email account and scroll down to remove account.

wolfpackron

Reaction score
I think that may have solved the problem with two email apps at the same time.

Not sure why emails keep coming to Outlook randomly. Just a few though.

Thanks, Istus