setting up a POP3 account to sync with droid

Grinch

Reaction score
The threads I've searched all seem to assume I already know how to do this step. I have a .net email account that I THINK is a POP3 type account (at least that is the way it is configured on my desktop through Outlook). When I try and set up my Droid to sync this account, I only get the 'setup Exchange account' option. When I complete the account setup this way, the phone is unable to connect to the server. I assume I need to tell the Droid to set up a POP3 account, not an Exchange account, but can't find a way to get this option on the phone. Sorry if this is noobish :)

OP
Grinch

Grinch

Reaction score
aha, I think I've found the problem. Quoting from another thread:

This should be reasonably straight forward. One thing I will caution you with on all this, do not use the following:

Home -> Menu -> Settings -> Accounts & Sync

The Default Settings Menu does only allows for Gmail, Exchange and Facebook. What is listed here is for setting up e-mail through the Mail App. Trust me, it took me 4 days to figure out how to do this properly and a lot of the posts seem to neglect mentioning how to do this.

Hopefully this will work for me, and clarify for anyone else trying to accomplish the same thing.

duke6619

Reaction score
email>menu>account settings>incoming settings>outgoing settings
You have to put in the correct settings for both incoming and outgoing. After you type in the settings for each one do next and it will tell you if they are correct or not. If they are correct no message.

Silver Member
Reaction score
The threads I've searched all seem to assume I already know how to do this step. I have a .net email account that I THINK is a POP3 type account (at least that is the way it is configured on my desktop through Outlook). When I try and set up my Droid to sync this account, I only get the 'setup Exchange account' option. When I complete the account setup this way, the phone is unable to connect to the server. I assume I need to tell the Droid to set up a POP3 account, not an Exchange account, but can't find a way to get this option on the phone. Sorry if this is noobish :)
if by .net you mean hotmail or msn mail, you can use POP3 if you enable it through the account level, otherwise you have to use MS's proprietary mapi mail configuration.

if you're talking about an Exchange email account at work, school, etc., that's considered a corporate email account and has to have push email setup, or html access to your email account through your company's website.

if you DO mean hotmail/msn, check my sig.

OP
Grinch

Grinch

Reaction score
email>menu>account settings>incoming settings>outgoing settings
You have to put in the correct settings for both incoming and outgoing. After you type in the settings for each one do next and it will tell you if they are correct or not. If they are correct no message.

It's funny, my gmail account works flawlessly, and I can go in and check the settings via this pathway. When I try to configure my other .net email account, I'm not succeeding. I have the settings input as they are on my webmail settings, and have tried many subtle variations, but so far no luck. I may need to talk to my internet service provider and see if there are any little quirks that need to be taken in to account (no pun intended).

griz8791

Reaction score
In my case, it did not default to the correct port for either incoming or outgoing port. I had to go look those up on my desktop Outlook and replace the Droid's suggested ports.

duke6619

Reaction score
I had similar problems setting up my Road Runner email. Finally through this forum and a Blackberry forum I was able to figure it out. It took me at least a week. People here are pretty helpful, so hang in there I'm sure somebody will come up with an anwser

OP
Grinch

Grinch

Reaction score
In my case, it did not default to the correct port for either incoming or outgoing port. I had to go look those up on my desktop Outlook and replace the Droid's suggested ports.

Bingo! I just checked the ports on my desktop, the Droid got the incoming right, but I had to manually reset the outgoing port. All working well now. Thanks a million!

-Roy