Consumer Confusion Over 4G Found in Study; 34% of iPhone Users Think They Have 4G

matt2783

Reaction score
I doubt the actual number is 29% but it may not be too far off when you consider every phone AT&T and T-mobile pump out gets labeled as a 4g phone, not to mention the popularity of the Evo 4g.

matt2783

Reaction score
Yeah, your right czerdrill, ignore my last post. That's pretty disappointing, Android users are nearly as ignorant as Iphone users.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, your right czerdrill, ignore my last post. That's pretty disappointing, Android users are nearly as ignorant as Iphone users.

yeah the only real reason we could give them a "pass" is because they could technically own a 4G android phone (even if they mistakenly believe they do), but that's not the case here.

matt2783

Reaction score

yeah the only real reason we could give them a "pass" is because they could technically own a 4G android phone (even if they mistakenly believe they do), but that's not the case here.

True, but you could give Iphone 4 users an excuse too being their phone has the number 4 in it. I don't think it's a good excuse but I have seen people make that mistake.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
yep you're right...i'm certain thats where the confusion comes in for iPhone users...but again that just shows that people really dont care or no about specs. specs are not what sells phones. it's the performance of the device and marketing. no one is going into vzw saying "show me your dual core phones with a qHD display!!"

they're going "can you show me your droids" or "can you show me the iphone".

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
^and by "no" about specs, of course i meant "know" lol

Reaction score
I would have got more out of "100% of Apple users still think brown turtle necks are still in style."

:)

rmart88

Reaction score
Everyone saying that "they only asked 3G users and therefore the Android Stats are wrong as well" are misunderstanding the survey. The question was do you plan to upgrade to a 4G device soon? And one of the options was, "I already have a 4G device"... so they were saying no i dont, because im already there. 34% of the ppl that have an iPhone answered this. 29% of android users answered this. And 24% of RIM owners answered this.

Now this means of all iPhone users polled, 34% think they have 4G, and of that 34%, 100% are wrong/misinformed. It means of all RIM users polled, 24% of them think they have 4G, and of that 24%, 100% of them are wrong. It means that of all the Android users polled, 29% of them think they have 4G. But not all of them are wrong... are some of them wrong? Probably. And going off of how many users overall are wrong (58% possibly skewed without knowing the full data set), probably about half of the users on Android that say they are already on 4G, aren't. So the real number of Android users on 4G is probably between 10% and 15%.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
^Thats a good point and guess. I mean we know some of them had to have a 4G phone. The EVO 4G was on of the top selling Android phones last year and the early part of this year. Sprint and T Mo has alot of 4G phones too.

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
^Thats a good point and guess. I mean we know some of them had to have a 4G phone. The EVO 4G was on of the top selling Android phones last year and the early part of this year. Sprint and T Mo has alot of 4G phones too.

Yea. I mean alot of people got the TB, some got the Charge, then theres all the EVO's, Tmobile has a TON of 4G phones, ATT has a few...

A lot of users probably have 4G.
(not REAL 4G though)

UNC

Reaction score
LOL @ this story!!!!

And people actually think Locked Bootloaders matter to the bottom line!?!?! People don't even know if they have 4g!

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
LOL @ this story!!!!

And people actually think Locked Bootloaders matter to the bottom line!?!?! People don't even know if they have 4g!

haha +1. Specs are about as irrelevant to smartphone shoppers as what I ate for breakfast this morning.

UNC

Reaction score
LOL @ this story!!!!

haha +1. Specs are about as irrelevant to smartphone shoppers as what I ate for breakfast this morning.

Speaking of +1.... Do you have Google+ yet?//// Hijack over\\\\

I would imagine that some of the iPhone people think they have 4g because the last iPhone before the 4 was the iPhone "3g"s.