Study Shows Slow Adoption Rate of Digital Wallets Due to Lack of Understanding

delcopa

Reaction score
I blame it on the carriers.......

They are trying to be greedy and open their own ISIS just to get money with every transaction while they are BLOCKING Google Wallet until they can release their own wallet which I am sure won't be as good cause they are closing the market and only allowing their software to be used. When you do that it hampers development cause then they are the only one that can be used.

I have been using Google Wallet but requires hacking cause of the carriers only one that allows it is Sprint. It is much faster and easier then pulling out my wallet and then looking for the card. I have paid at WaWa, Home Depot, Wendy's (at the drive through have a scanner outside!)

Plus I know the card number is not being seen by anyone Google uses a virtual card then charges your real card later. Also know I am not forgetting my card behind or dropping it you do that your account will be used if someone gets it and isn't honest. If I leave the phone I can remote wipe the whole phone or just my Google Wallet and no one could use without getting through two PINS. Yes maybe hack but still would take longer then plastic card to use. Guesing I could disable quicker most of the time. Plus banks for illegal use if stolen cover minus a feee I am sure lol.

Would i go 100% Virtual wallet no for a few reasons not accepted everywhere, and could have phone that crashes etc....But I do use it every chance I get it is quicker, and easier. Still have wallet but need drivers license etc...So both work well together if the carriers would only allow it and stop being so greedy!

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
......Wallets still tend to disappear more then phones cause they hold CASH and CREDIT CARDS!

You're just assuming.

"A surge in thefts of iPhone and iPads is responsible for a slight uptick in New York City's overall crime rate, according to New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg.Apple's products were the preferred mobile device target of many thieves in the city, Bloomberg noted during his weekly radio address, according to the New York Times.
Statistics published by the New York Police Department revealed that as of Monday, there were 3,484 more major crimes reported in 2012 than for the same period last year. During that time, the city experienced 3,890 more thefts of Apple products.
"If you just took away the jump in Apple, we'd be down for the year," Marc La Vorgna, the mayor's press secretary, told the Times."

Article: NYC mayor blames theft of Apple devices for uptick in crime | Apple - CNET News

Not to mention: thieves really don't want credit cards anymore. Steal my credit card and I am on the phone with the bank 5 minutes after you leave. Those are worthless.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
It's 2013. If you don't have a locator w/remote wipe app installed on your phone it deserves to be stolen.

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
You're just assuming.

"A surge in thefts of iPhone and iPads is responsible for a slight uptick in New York City's overall crime rate, according to New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg.Apple's products were the preferred mobile device target of many thieves in the city, Bloomberg noted during his weekly radio address, according to the New York Times.
Statistics published by the New York Police Department revealed that as of Monday, there were 3,484 more major crimes reported in 2012 than for the same period last year. During that time, the city experienced 3,890 more thefts of Apple products.
"If you just took away the jump in Apple, we'd be down for the year," Marc La Vorgna, the mayor's press secretary, told the Times."

Article: NYC mayor blames theft of Apple devices for uptick in crime | Apple - CNET News

Not to mention: thieves really don't want credit cards anymore. Steal my credit card and I am on the phone with the bank 5 minutes after you leave. Those are worthless.

They'd get a 2fer... steal your phone which has your credit cards, which means you no longer have an easy means to call the bank to cancel it.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Dusty:
First off, the article in question doesn't say anything about if any were returned, or if they had remote wipe. And even if they did: great you remote wiped your phone. All your data is safe. Your phone is still stolen.

Next: Having Remote Wipe on your phone is OBVIOUSLY zero deterrent.

Third: I steal YOUR phone, run down the street, hop on a bus. If you don't have a pin code, I can reset your phone before you can get home to your PC and track me.

Yes, remote wipe is great. We should all have it. But it's not going to deter theft. Even. A Tiny. Bit...

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
The video is kind of misleading in the fact that the information that they stole is the exact same info a store clerk gets with every transaction. You essentially hand that info out DAILY. If you think that a company's hiring process is a line of consumer defense just google "waiter or clerk arrested credit card fraud" and see how many stories pop up.

As to this: disagree. I can tell you EXACTLY where I used my Credit Card today. One place. So my card is exposed a few times a day to a cashier.
How many people have I walked by today? 50? 100? Quite a bit different odds.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
You do know that Google Wallet doesn't transmit NFC wallet data unless you enter your pin code to initiate the sale AND the screen is on. While the phone is dormant and in your pocket it's not giving up anything.

So today you've given out more credit card data to more people than I would if I made 100 transactions with GW.

How about those odds?

delcopa

Reaction score
You're just assuming.

Yes but still major city, and also Apple. People tend to have a thing for Apple but they can even do nfc at all. But wallets still have cash which is accepted pretty much everywhere in the world. Joe Doe might not know how to get rid of a stolen phone but they know how to get rid of cash lol. People now a days take anything not nailed down.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

delcopa

Reaction score
It's 2013. If you don't have a locator w/remote wipe app installed on your phone it deserves to be stolen.

Totally agree have had remote wipe for years started on BlackBerry then exchange so always had that :) Google wallet had its own wipe feature of they don't have it on the phone at least virtual wallet protected.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
You do know that Google Wallet doesn't transmit NFC wallet data unless you enter your pin code to initiate the sale AND the screen is on. While the phone is dormant and in your pocket it's not giving up anything.

So today you've given out more credit card data to more people than I would if I made 100 transactions with GW.

How about those odds?

I was talking g specifically about the video that was posted and the comment made about the video which talks about nfc cards.

Nobody has any thoughts on my privacy comments?

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't understand all the phone thefts anyway. Once the ESN is declared bad it's freaking useless. Guess it's still useable as an mp3 player and for WIFI features.

Anyway, until there's more widespread marketing of digital wallets & NFC is a standard feature of all phones--which is happening over time--this will continue being a novelty method of payment.

As to losing your phone, that's on you =p Never lost a wallet or a phone but if it happens I'll survive. Remote wiping is your friend. Not sure what the talk is about beating someone home and changing the pin before they can do anything. The better remote features are not connected to the phone's built-in security, and Cerberus and Avast can both survive a full data reset and SBF.