Concerned about a 5MB camera instead of an 8MB?

ralgrl73

Reaction score
Is anyone concerned about a lower MB camera in the Galaxy Nexus? The type of user I am, my phone camera is very important to me. I currently have the Droid X which has an 8MB camera and I think it would be very hard to change phones and go backwards on picture quality. So I'm torn because I really want to upgrade my phone to something running ICE.

alboboy10

Reaction score
You won't be down grading just because there's less mega pixels.

OP
R

ralgrl73

Reaction score
You won't be down grading just because there's less mega pixels.

I scanned the message titles and didn't see anything specific referencing the camera, so I decided to post. Since I have a full-time job and a busy life I just don't have the time to read through every reply in every thread to see if someone has mentioned the camera. But, thanks for your reply! You've offered up so much information. I feel completely at ease now :)

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
It seems that Samsung did an awesome job with the new sensors in the camera on the Nexus, so even though it is 5mps it looks insanely awesome. You should watch the Nexus announcement video, I would link you to it if I was at my computer. The camera lag is essentially 0 which is nice and it has some great new features.

To be or not to be........................wait what was the question? This signature has been Tapatalk approved.

EL Lacost

Reaction score
Yeah I agree the 5 mp camara tajes great pix so im not really worried about it being a 5

Odin Rooted Samsung Fascinate

ice456789

Reaction score
MP is one way of measuring camera quality, but by no means the best or only way. It measures how much detail the pic can hold and how large you can blow up the picture before it starts to look grainy. The lens is also very important. It's tough to find any real photographic info about a phone's camera lens (like 35mm equivalent zoom). The size of the lens makes a big deal. The bigger the lens, the more light it lets in. Think of a magnifying glass and setting ants on fire. A bigger magnifying glass burns them much faster than a small one. Of course all phone cameras have very small lenses so you won't see much of a difference. The sensor is probably the most important part. It determines the exposure as well as the speed the photo is taken. I'd take a high end 5mp sensor over a cheap 8mp sensor any day. Those extra megapixels won't matter if the image is washed out or grainy. It seems they have put a decent sensor in the Galaxy N just based on the speed it can take pictures. The quality of the images is on par with other cell phone cameras (which is not saying much) but the speed is terrific. I'd take it over the Bionic's 8mp of crap camera all day.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here I'll make this quick: Megapixels do NOT equal image quality, just picture size. That is all. The quality comes from the sensor, the lens, and how everything comes together. Megapixels aren't anything to worry about unless you plan on making prints from pictures.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Here I'll make this quick: Megapixels do NOT equal image quality, just picture size. That is all. The quality comes from the sensor, the lens, and how everything comes together. Megapixels aren't anything to worry about unless you plan on making prints from pictures.

What if want to wallpaper my house in pictures blown up from my phone, haha

To be or not to be........................wait what was the question? This signature has been Tapatalk approved.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
MP is one way of measuring camera quality, but by no means the best or only way. It measures how much detail the pic can hold and how large you can blow up the picture before it starts to look grainy. The lens is also very important. It's tough to find any real photographic info about a phone's camera lens (like 35mm equivalent zoom). The size of the lens makes a big deal. The bigger the lens, the more light it lets in. Think of a magnifying glass and setting ants on fire. A bigger magnifying glass burns them much faster than a small one. Of course all phone cameras have very small lenses so you won't see much of a difference. The sensor is probably the most important part. It determines the exposure as well as the speed the photo is taken. I'd take a high end 5mp sensor over a cheap 8mp sensor any day. Those extra megapixels won't matter if the image is washed out or grainy. It seems they have put a decent sensor in the Galaxy N just based on the speed it can take pictures. The quality of the images is on par with other cell phone cameras (which is not saying much) but the speed is terrific. I'd take it over the Bionic's 8mp of crap camera all day.
The Bionic doesn't have a bad camera, it has bad camera software. The images actually turn out well, it's just the software used to take the photos and process the images doesn't do a good job which is why a lot of them come out blurry or with strange lighting. If you can get a decent shot in decent lighting, you'll see the camera is actually pretty good. I don't know if Moto put the software together in a day but it needs a lot of work and I believe it's coming in the update next month.

Wonmotyme

Reaction score
Not a problem just make lots of smaller images!

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

ice456789

Reaction score
The Bionic doesn't have a bad camera, it has bad camera software. The images actually turn out well, it's just the software used to take the photos and process the images doesn't do a good job which is why a lot of them come out blurry or with strange lighting. If you can get a decent shot in decent lighting, you'll see the camera is actually pretty good. I don't know if Moto put the software together in a day but it needs a lot of work and I believe it's coming in the update next month.
We can agree to disagree on that. :) I had a Bionic for a couple weeks and returned it. I found it to be extremely mediocre. Indoor images were completely grainy and outdoor images were washed out. The sensor on those cameras is about as cheap as they can get, which is why it takes forever to take a pic. A software update is needed, but the hardware is the main problem. I'm not trying to insult the Bionic, just saying that the camera is where they chose to save some money. I'd rather they save it there than on the processor or screen.

diggy488

Reaction score
Great info guys. I agree that 5mp is very sufficient. My OG still takes exceptional pictures to be coming from a phone. Think of it like this; with Samsung making the Nexus their flagship phone for ICS, why would they use a sub-par camera? Samsung is known for good camera hardware. They were confident enough to use a 5mp camera and let the phone speak for itself. I have no worries.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
We can agree to disagree on that. :) I had a Bionic for a couple weeks and returned it. I found it to be extremely mediocre. Indoor images were completely grainy and outdoor images were washed out. The sensor on those cameras is about as cheap as they can get, which is why it takes forever to take a pic. A software update is needed, but the hardware is the main problem. I'm not trying to insult the Bionic, just saying that the camera is where they chose to save some money. I'd rather they save it there than on the processor or screen.
Maybe you just had a Bionic with a bad camera. I've heard of that happening with a few people. They ended up returning them, getting a new Bionic and the camera was much better. The only shots that are grainy are the higher iso shots taken when it's dark.