Camera Zoom Issue !

wjoel

Reaction score
I only have my Nexus 3 short weeks and I am disappointed in the camera.
I take pictures frequently and I noticed that this cameras zoom goes fuzzy and is not focused when you zoom in all the way....
It has a very good zoom,but what good is it if you zoom all the way and it's fuzzy and not focused.
I checked with a display phone at Verizon and that one does the same.
Any advise ?
I'm contemplating going with the Rezound as that phones camera only zooms half the distance or so as the Nexus, but with a crystal clear sight.​

Rzm1986

Reaction score
Yes this camera sucks. I don't know if they can fix it with an update or not. The people who bought this phone didn't buy it for the camera. I heard the one on the rezound is pretty good though

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
The camera doesn't necessarily suck, it's just not up to people's expectations. And yes they could've put a better one in it, but as to why they didn't, who knows. For me it goes beyond and I love it.

As for zooming in, the more you zoom the fuzzier it will be, this can be said for any cell phone camera. I haven't had much hands-on time with the Rezound camera, but there is no denying it is superior to the camera of the Nexus. If a camera really is that big of a deal to you, then you can't go wrong with the Rezound.

Just a quick question: were you aware of the quality of the camera before purchasing your Nexus?

stratjb

Reaction score
a 5MP camera should be able to take a sharp picture. The problem has to be with the focus like the OG Droid problem at launch (or a few days after). That one was fixed by an update, I'm hoping this one will also be fixed. Soon.

OP
W

wjoel

Reaction score
No, I was not aware of the cameras ability on the Nexus before I bought it.
I will call Samsung up and ask about the zoom issue,before I make a move.
Now, the anticipation of talking to someone from Samsung.
Will I get a satisfactory answer ?

captdroid

Reaction score

I will save you the time... 'digital' zoom is just not that great on a cell phone.

Byakushiki

Reaction score

Digital zoom and optical are massively different. Optical uses the focal of the lens, so it's like looking through a set of good binoculars. Digital uses software to explode an image, so it gets blurred and pixelated. Using touch to focus mode helps a tad, it seems. The only way it'll improve is if Samsung improves how it explodes the images or, you upgrade the camera itself.

honors21

Reaction score
Do you tap the middle of the screen to focus before taking the picture?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

hydro556

Reaction score
The camera is average or better, when compared to other current cell phone cameras. In good lighting it is excellent, and amazingly fast. Probably the fastest available.

In poor lighting, if you take the time, you can get very good pictures, just dont go for instant, like it can do outside.

As far as cranking the digital zoom to the max? Well that makes me think digital zoom cameras are new to you. None of the digital cameras I own, that have a digital zoom, can zoom in very far and not be complete crap. This is not just on a camera phone, but on nicer dedicated digi cams. Optical zoom is the only way to go. Digital zoom ratios are a gimmick, on all cameras, IMO.

Overall, after having played with it quite a bit, when factoring in every feature, I consider the camera on the Nexus to be average to a little better than average, for a modern call phone camera. And that is bone stock, I havent tried any apps to make it better.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
/Agree

Digital zoom is terrible, simply blows the image up, which causes the pixels to become enlarged and lots of noise to be introduced.

Same on all digital cameras sadly.