computer question

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am tired of having to fix my grandmas computer from viruses and such (she just is gullible and doesnt listen to me....downloads viruses all the time). Im fairly good with computers, so i wanted to know if anyone could suggest anything?

My first idea for preventing was to just make her a limited account with non admin privileges, but this is so annoying when trying to do other stuff (like running a scan)
Second and * HOPE FULL* idea is i want to set up her PC like it is in college... (Ex. It gives you all privileges and such during a session but once rebooted it goes back to the stock state.) Does anyone know how to do this? Whats it called? (at the moment my googling of the topic sucks cuz i have no clue what it is called...)
Id Appreciate your thoughts on the subject, Thx.

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Might get better/faster responses in a computer forum, but gl.

OP
ilikemoneygreen

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well i think id have good luck in this forum too (most of the people here are pc nerds :) )

M

Mattjames

I simply advice download Opera 10.6 and blocked site and enable fraud protection alert so whenever she goes to any site which have such a virus or anything else, Opera shut down connection automatically.;)

noorigin

Reaction score
the program your talking abbout is "Deep Freeze"
schools use it. basically makes it so a clean OS image is restored on every boot.

my advice, put granny on Ubuntu and call it a day.

since i did this (forced this) on my parents, the only PC repair work theyve needed is hardware related. before it was like every 3 months id get a call "son,.....the pc crashed"

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
the program your talking abbout is "Deep Freeze"
schools use it. basically makes it so a clean OS image is restored on every boot.

my advice, put granny on Ubuntu and call it a day.

2x the Deep Freeze...use it in our training program. Does not matter what is done, Reboot and all is fixed.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
depends on what she does with it, if she all she does is surf the web and look at webmail, installing a form of linux (ubuntu, fedora, whatever the other one is) is a good idea. Deep freeze would be a good idea if you needed it but in this case it seems more of an overkill. I know quite a few friends who've done this with their parents / grandparents and it has worked out for the best.

techRob

Reaction score
Another program is: Microsoft Steady State - it's free. Won't run on Windows 7, I don't know about Vista. But i've used it on a few WinXP machines at work. You can set it up to use a thumbdrive to save / open files to, or a seperate partition, and completely lock the C-drive. Like deep-freeze (which i have no experience with), reboot the computer, and it's back to normal (i set the PCs at work to auto reboot at 2am nightly).