Complete noob at rooting

almaasak

Reaction score
Hey guys

I have a new Milestone with Telus in Canada. It came with the 2.1 update. I'd like to root the phone so that the memory/speed will be better and I'd be able to get paid apps. I have an app called Blink which constantly tells me my free memory capacity is below 20% and so on, even though I'm not a very heavy user. I regularly use the task killer and clear caches/history off the browser.

I've been searching through this site and others for a while and although it seemed simple at first, it's becoming much more confusing now with all the different threads and ways to root. So I have a few questions:

- Has anyone else with a Telus Milestone been able to successfully root without any problems? How did you get it done (link)?
- Will my saved contacts be deleted or messed around with?
- Is there a root available for 2.2?

If anyone can help I'd appreciate it!

John2bDroid

Reaction score
Follow this guide here but forget the top part about UK SBF you don't need it just do the rest..

Code:
http://androidforums.com/motorola-milestone/75460-milestone-2-1-update-root-guide.html

OP
A

almaasak

Reaction score
Follow this guide here but forget the top part about UK SBF you don't need it just do the rest..

Code:
http://androidforums.com/motorola-milestone/75460-milestone-2-1-update-root-guide.html

Thanks. Should I be using the Telus service or non-service version?

Also, would this work to increase ROM? milestone-overclock - Project Hosting on Google Code

Is there a way to get 2.2 on this phone yet?

John2bDroid

Reaction score
Using the service Telus is totally up to you as it will not delete any of your stuff...Buttt
if you want to start from fresh i would go from non-service version...then install the Vulnerable then root and right after that without installing any apps do a nandroid backup
VERY IMPORTANT...this way you can always come back to a clean slate..:)

Overclocking will increase your speed of your device....it's all up to you...

And No there is No Froyo 2.2 for milestone YET but there working on it so stay tuned :)