Complete noob at rooting

Discussion in 'Motorola Milestone' started by almaasak, Jun 5, 2010.

1. almaasak

almaasak New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys

I have a new Milestone with Telus in Canada. It came with the 2.1 update. I'd like to root the phone so that the memory/speed will be better and I'd be able to get paid apps. I have an app called Blink which constantly tells me my free memory capacity is below 20% and so on, even though I'm not a very heavy user. I regularly use the task killer and clear caches/history off the browser.

I've been searching through this site and others for a while and although it seemed simple at first, it's becoming much more confusing now with all the different threads and ways to root. So I have a few questions:

- Has anyone else with a Telus Milestone been able to successfully root without any problems? How did you get it done (link)?
    - Will my saved contacts be deleted or messed around with?
    - Is there a root available for 2.2?

If anyone can help I'd appreciate it!
  2. John2bDroid

John2bDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Follow this guide here but forget the top part about UK SBF you don't need it just do the rest..

Code:
    http://androidforums.com/motorola-milestone/75460-milestone-2-1-update-root-guide.html
  3. almaasak

almaasak New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. Should I be using the Telus service or non-service version?

Also, would this work to increase ROM? milestone-overclock - Project Hosting on Google Code

Is there a way to get 2.2 on this phone yet?
  4. John2bDroid

John2bDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Using the service Telus is totally up to you as it will not delete any of your stuff...Buttt
    if you want to start from fresh i would go from non-service version...then install the Vulnerable then root and right after that without installing any apps do a nandroid backup
    VERY IMPORTANT...this way you can always come back to a clean slate..:)

Overclocking will increase your speed of your device....it's all up to you...

And No there is No Froyo 2.2 for milestone YET but there working on it so stay tuned :)