Citrus wont Stop Using Data

jl65

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Hope someone can help here. I just got this Citrus on PagePlus as a replacement for my Net10 service since I dont use my phone that much so the $80 for a year of service and 2000 minutes looked real good. Problem is the phone just keeps eating thru data like crazy even though I am not doing anything. I installed the Curvefish APN On/Off app and it curtailed the usage some but not completely.

Is there anything I can do to stop the phone from using data?
I placed the Battery on Saver Mode and ensured Background data & Data roaming are off.
I would like to be able to use the web in an Emergency if possible, ie turn data on when I need it, but really just want to send/receive calls & text mainly.

The following services are running and didnt know what I can get away with stopping or even if they are an issue:
Sync Service, Data Manager Service, SyncEngineSErvice, ScheduleService, CacheService, AuthenticationService, MesageWidgetProvider, TouchPadToggle$Update, GpsToggle$UpdateService, UnconnectedService,CalendarWidgetProvider, BlurServiceMother,GTalkService, Multi-touch keyboard, Z7Service, GlobalUnplugService, AlarmService, WlMonitorService,Power Profile Service

Any help would be awesome, Thanks in Advance

Agalix

Reaction score
One question for everyone pertinent to this thread: When i click on an app in "Manage Applications" in settings->Applications, it gives a kb value for "Data." Would this be how much data the app has used since its installment? (as in it wouldn't reset every month and it is an exact value for how much data the app has used?)

Hi jl65,

I have been having the same problem with the Motorola Citrus WX445 using Page Plus Cellular's "the 12" plan. Trying to figure it out so that i can use data to receive Google Voice texting with only 10mb a month (which is plenty for the Google Voice app).

One person at Page Plus told me that the only running services that are necessary for the phone's function are the Google Services and your keyboard service (whether Swype or otherwise). So I'm going to try ending Sync Service, SyncEngineService, GpsToggle$UpdateService, and BlurServiceMother, as these are the ones i would guess would be the more likely ones to blame. Not sure if Data Manager Service would help or hurt the problem (i hope it helps). Going to see how much data drains when background data is off for a couple hours and when its on for a couple hours.

Oh and i know that Sync Service for the BackupAssistant can be annoying and can turn itself back on pretty quickly after trying to kill it.

Hope we can figure this out without having to resort to rooting (i'm new to this too).

Can anyone else help?

OP
J

jl65

Reaction score
Agalix,

Thanks for all the info, I will try ending those services and see how that helps. Right now I have been just turning my phone off when at home until I can figure this out.

Agalix

Reaction score
jl65,

Ya Curvefish's APN On/Off didn't do the job completely. However, at first trial it looks like TomatoX's DataSwitch app works well. Might just be the solution to this problem! Thinking about getting the Pro version even though i found it like 10 minutes ago.

It looks like turning off extra services might have helped, but data was still used by something in the phone, even with Curvefish's APN On/Off set to block data usage. My Motorola Citrus was using pretty consistently about 490kb of data per day, and that was with switching to Airplane mode often while i was at work so i couldn't answer calls.

ElmerFudde

Reaction score
I hope this helps ->

Hope someone can help here. I just got this Citrus on PagePlus as a replacement for my Net10 service since I dont use my phone that much so the $80 for a year of service and 2000 minutes looked real good. Problem is the phone just keeps eating thru data like crazy even though I am not doing anything. I installed the Curvefish APN On/Off app and it curtailed the usage some but not completely.

Is there anything I can do to stop the phone from using data?
. . . .
Any help would be awesome, Thanks in Advance

I had the same concern about burning through data on my PagePlus Motorola Citrus. I didn't find a way, pre-installed on the phone, to stop it. But I got a little app called "DataSwitch" from the MarketPlace and it shut 3g right down. Nice.