Music Player Data Use

Razrhead

Reaction score
I have all the boxes checked off in the music app to stop music information from loading. Since last night 400 mgb of data have loaded, thankfully over wifi. I'm not streaming or downloading anything. Not even using the music player. I use Power Amp to play music. When I get away from wifi this thing is still sucking data through the cell connection. I haven't streamed any music or video, hardly used LTE/3G and data use is at 650mgb. I'm pretty sure the music app is responsible. I have no idea why this app is requiring all this data or how to stop it. I've just turned on the data saver to see it that helps.

Flyingace75

Reaction score
You aren't alone. I've noticed the same issue and took the same steps minus turning data saver on. This is especially concerning since my data plan isn't unlimited. I use data Twist for my music player.

OP
R

Razrhead

Reaction score
I also have limited data, just recently getting my first smart phone. This music app problem was touched on another thread in the forum. The problem was solved by cutting off the music app with a rooted phone. I haven't gone the root route yet and I don't see why it should be necessary. I might still want to occasionally use the music app for radio or motocast. If I had been away from wifi during this period of time I would have used 1.5gb of data for no apparent reason.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I remember reading a thread like this a while ago and the culprit was the motocast app and it's settings. Be sure to check everywhere there could be a setting that would authorize such constant updates/downloads. Also you can go to the manage applications/all/ and Force Stop anything that has to do with music and downloads.

Good luck.

OP
R

Razrhead

Reaction score
I read that thread before starting this one. You have to go through several pages to reach the part about the music player. As far as Motocast goes, I haven't set up the server on the web. Motocast can only get data over wifi the way I have it set up at this point. I've done the music syncs over USB. I have the Motocast connection turned off in both music player and gallery on the Razr. I have Motocast sync set up on a mac laptop when I want to use that.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have all the boxes checked off in the music app to stop music information from loading. Since last night 400 mgb of data have loaded, thankfully over wifi. I'm not streaming or downloading anything. Not even using the music player. I use Power Amp to play music. When I get away from wifi this thing is still sucking data through the cell connection. I haven't streamed any music or video, hardly used LTE/3G and data use is at 650mgb. I'm pretty sure the music app is responsible. I have no idea why this app is requiring all this data or how to stop it. I've just turned on the data saver to see it that helps.
power amp does NOT use data to play your music, power amp can only be used with music you have loaded into your phone. If anything just go to the market and download android system, it has all the tools you need to stop apps from running that use up battery and data, no music app uses data unless you are actually using it, as in power amp read my first statement.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

Last edited:
OP
R

Razrhead

Reaction score
I realize Power Amp is not the problem, doesn't/can't stream music. The problem is with the Razr Music player that is on the phone for keeps. This music player is eating up data even though I don't use it. I haven't streamed any music or video, yet tons of data is being exchanged. From what I have read on the forum the built-in Razr music player can't be disabled unless you root the phone. My data manager shows 740mb used by the Razr built-in music player, 400mb since last night. This would seem to show hours of music being streamed. I haven't played any music with this app in days and I don't stream music.

Last edited:
OP
R

Razrhead

Reaction score
According to data tracker the built in music app has used 550 mb in the last five days. I have 1600 songs on the micro sd card. I downloaded these songs onto the card shortly after getting the phone 3 weeks ago. I've hardly used this music player. I have noticed that the album art when playing a song from my sd card is different from the album art in the song tag. Still, with little use in three weeks, and never streaming data, this music player has used 1.5gb of data over wifi. I installed the data tracker about a week ago and I don't know how much mobile data was used before I had data tracker. I'm not showing any mobile data use to speak of from music player.

luiswouters

Reaction score
Resolved!

I was having the exactly same issue on my Razr. In one week, my data usage went to 600mb. I installed My data manager free, and after some days, I saw that the music app usage was increasing in mb each minute. I one our, the app had used 100 mb. Solution: I deactivated the option in the configuration menu that get music information, but it didn't work. So, I thought that only could be one thing, the Motocast. Searching in the web I saw that, one time configured on you phone, that is no way to remove (at least at the dumb way). As I have my phone for one week, and can't live with this high data usage, there was only one thing to do: to reset my phone in the factory data reset. And it worked! Of course, without activating it again! I don't now if this is one issue of my Motocast, but I'll stay pretty away of it in the future.

satarecah

Reaction score
you gotta go into the settings and turn stuff off like suggestions and lyrics i keep them on idc i got 4 gigs of data to use and they don't roll over (thank god because on my att bill i had like a ton of data i could no way in hec use) i stream youtube here and there and i havent even hit a gig yet ... i hate when im like "huh ill use alot data i bet" and buy some big data plan and use under a gig :(

OP
R

Razrhead

Reaction score
I've turned off the backround data, lyrics and other options in Music. Nothing seems to slow the data vacuum. I suspected motocast to be the culprit but I can't see why. Gallery is connected to more folders in my motocsast than Music and doesn't suck up data like this. I can see where a phone reset and never touching Music could work. Too bad they don't include a way to shut this thing off. Other music players work better, offer more features.

busab

Reaction score
I've turned off the backround data, lyrics and other options in Music. Nothing seems to slow the data vacuum. I suspected motocast to be the culprit but I can't see why. Gallery is connected to more folders in my motocsast than Music and doesn't suck up data like this. I can see where a phone reset and never touching Music could work. Too bad they don't include a way to shut this thing off. Other music players work better, offer more features.

Check the "social networking" app also. In my experience that app was also sucking down the data for no apparent reason. Make sure you have no accounts set up in it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

OP
R

Razrhead

Reaction score
I took a look at the social networking and I don't see anything there. I don't do Facebook. My email updates manually, I cut off the auto fetch. Data Tracker shows Music sucking the data.

satarecah

Reaction score
you must have a app doing it... what apps have you downloaded?