cheap charger? motorola droid

pontiusx

Reaction score
hey so i noticed my friend at work has a palm pre, and the charger works with the moto droid. Is that safe? it seems so to me. I was wanting to buy a backup charger to keep in my backpack or car or whatever but i really wanted the style that plugs into the wall, but also can be a usb cable. I also like the pre charger because of the longer cord.

I was gonna get this

Amazon.com: NEW OEM Palm Travel Charger for Pre Treo Pro 800w: Cell Phones & Service

which is super cheap. Thoughts ?

Thanks ! :D

er this one come with the cable too..

http://www.amazon.com/Palm-Travel-Charger-Touchstone-Charging/dp/B002SL3LQ4/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

bje1982

Reaction score
hey so i noticed my friend at work has a palm pre, and the charger works with the moto droid. Is that safe? it seems so to me. I was wanting to buy a backup charger to keep in my backpack or car or whatever but i really wanted the style that plugs into the wall, but also can be a usb cable. I also like the pre charger because of the longer cord.

I was gonna get this

Amazon.com: NEW OEM Palm Travel Charger for Pre Treo Pro 800w: Cell Phones & Service

which is super cheap. Thoughts ?

Thanks ! :D

er this one come with the cable too..

Amazon.com: NEW OEM Palm Travel Charger for Pre Treo Pro 800w Pre, Pro, 800w, Pre Touchstone…

Aftermarket chargers can make your phone become possessed and possibly do things on its own.. It should work but like people will tell you youll be telling random people in your contacts that youll be there soon or that you love them..

Edit: aftermarket chargers alsso apperently voids your warranty but dont worry I wont tell.

OP
pontiusx

pontiusx

Reaction score
Any suggestions for ones that work well? Or where I can find an oem one cheap.

jgumphress

Reaction score
I have noticed that a cheap wall charger or even a cheap auto lighter plug charger with less that 500ma will not even show up on the Droid. Better, heavy duty chargers always have worked fine for my. I even took an old auto lighter plug charger and hard wired it under my dash then cut a hole in the dash the same size as the USB plug and mounted it in permenantly. Now I have a USB charging port in my dash for my Droid.

OP
pontiusx

pontiusx

Reaction score
well.. it says that the palm pre charger is 800 ma. i only have used it for a little bit, it seem to have work.

Droids

Reaction score
Droid likes 5v and 850ma (.85A). if the voltage is right and the amps are close it will work. Less amps = slower charging speed. 500ma is what you'll get from a usb cable connected to a computer, so it charges slower but does so at 5v.

Anyway, a cheap charger could boast those specs but not be all there. If it's a quality brand charger, does 5v, and 800ma or better you'll be fine.

lmapp

Reaction score
I've gotten a couple of chargers from WalMart that were being sold as BB chargers and they work fine.

OP
pontiusx

pontiusx

Reaction score
You realize that Amazon carries Motorola chargers as well, right?

The Palm charger should be fine if it puts out 800mA and doesn't cause interference with the capacitive screen (as some chargers do).

yeah.. of course i realize that. But they either don't have the detachable USB cable or are more expensive. And I like the one i posted cuz it has a longer cord, plus the adapter itself is smaller and looks better imo.