Careless Droid Handling

Reaction score
I was sitting in the very seat that I am now, with my trusty Motorola Droid hooked up to the very computer I am typing on now. My phone was plugged in to the computer (in USB Storage mode) and somehow it got knocked off the desk. When it landed, I thought everything was fine and picked it back up again. A few minutes ago, I realized my Droid was not charging! The socket where the connector plugs in was widened a bit during the fall, and this messed the pins up. I have tried plugging it in to my wall charger, and I have to really work it to get the light to come on to say it's charging. It doesn't stay when I put it down though.
The plug actually fits much better when I turned it upside down and plug it into the Droid...however this causes an immediate reboot as I literally just discovered.
Will something like this make my phone eligible for a replacement/Warranty? And I think I'm kind of screwed...my phone can't recognize USB Storage mode when it does recognize the computer plug (for about a second)...and I am rooted. I need to unroot before I go in and talk to Verizon.
I'm just looking for some veteran's opinions on this; what I should do, any potential fixes, etc.
I appreciate it.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
It is unfortunate that this has happened - this is something that will not be covered under warranty as you are the one who broke it, you do however have an insurance claim. The downfall is your inability to connect via USB to unroot your device -

I know Verizon and Moto care if you root your device hence it voiding your warranty -

What I am not sure of is this...Asurion's outlook on turning a Rooted Device in on an insurance claim, they might not care so much (if at all) as you will be paying the deductible and it does cover all damages -

OP
Sparkinthedark
Reaction score
Is insurance something that every Droid owner has? I'm not completely sure if I have it. I would have to take a closer look at my plan.

dtsig

Reaction score
Is insurance something that every Droid owner has? I'm not completely sure if I have it. I would have to take a closer look at my plan.
Insurance is something you buy extra with the phone (or after market). It is like buying an extended warranty with your car or ...

OP
Sparkinthedark
Reaction score
Is there any way I can unroot it by sending a file to my phone via email? I used RSD lite to obtain root, so I am assuming that I would have to do the same to unroot...is that correct?
If I DO in fact need a computer to unroot, is it possible to flash the stock froyo ROM in order to get it back to a default look/feel and have that be acceptable? I assume Motorola and Verizon could tell though.

Canadroid

Reaction score
Insurance is something you buy extra with the phone (or after market). It is like buying an extended warranty with your car or ...

Got both here: I pretty much unknowingly went with aftermarket insurance (kiosk distributor in a mall) when I got my D2. Used VZW instead to when I bought another for the wife; if I recall the deductible was a little less on VZW if she needs to replace on a claim.

Both rates are comparable though, ~$10 /month. VZW is lumped in w/ your bill, aftermarket shows up as a seperate charge on your bank account depending on who you went through.

donelam304

Reaction score
my plan is if i cant ever plug my phone and un-root it. i will just simply remove the sd card and run the damn thing over with my truck. lol. or report it stolen. thats the benefit of having the insurance. lol....

OP
Sparkinthedark
Reaction score
I looked through the bill land I don't see anything about insurance... This is unfortunate. I'm almost certain they would have rules against me buying insurance tomorrow and turning my phone in on the next day.
The fact that I messed up this part of my phone is detrimental in many aspects - I can't mount USB storage and it can't hold a charge. My battery died an hour ago. I plugged it into the wall and got a BIT of juice into it (enough to start the phone up) but then I slid out my keyboard and it powered off. I'm worried that my only option is to buy a completely new phone...which at the moment, I can't quite afford.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
my plan is if i cant ever plug my phone and un-root it. i will just simply remove the sd card and run the damn thing over with my truck. lol. or report it stolen. thats the benefit of having the insurance. lol....
Insurance Fraud is not to be discussed on this Forum on any level -

S-f-m-D

OP
Sparkinthedark
Reaction score
Insurance Fraud is not to be discussed on this Forum on any level -

S-f-m-D

Exactly... Which is why I didn't even want to type that in the first place because it could have been construed that way. Do you see any other options for me?

EDIT: I thought it was my post that was being quoted. I am unsure of how to go about handling this situation - both with Verizon and Motorola.

iamasongnow

Reaction score
i'm pretty sure you can download this stock build of frg22d, unrooted of course, and flash it onto your phone. that should take away root. has for me a few times.

frg22dupdate.zip

there's always a way. good luck.

EDIT: not sure if this constitutes insurance fraud. apologies in advance.

OP
Sparkinthedark
Reaction score
i'm pretty sure you can download this stock build of frg22d, unrooted of course, and flash it onto your phone. that should take away root. has for me a few times.

frg22dupdate.zip

Awesome! I'm going to have to try to get this to my phone somehow...it's probably too large of a file to send via email.
I am also curious about replacements - assuming I ever get to that point. Would I be sent a "Certified like new" phone?

donelam304

Reaction score
just boot in recovery mode. hold thge X key and power up or power down and go to recovery option.

[Mod Edit] - Lets keep this and all further discussion one of respect

iamasongnow

Reaction score

frg22dupdate.zip

Awesome! I'm going to have to try to get this to my phone somehow...it's probably too large of a file to send via email.
I am also curious about replacements - assuming I ever get to that point. Would I be sent a "Certified like new" phone?

dude... just download it with your phone. maybe the link won't display right? change the x in com to an o when you type the link into your browser.

mediafire.cXm/?57xqa4c3izybt33

OP
Sparkinthedark
Reaction score
My issue right now is getting battery life back into my phone. It's completely dead and the thing can't really charge. I may have to take the battery from my sister's phone to do this...